• Welcome to BradleyFans.com! Visitors are welcome, but we encourage you to sign up and register as a member. It's free and takes only a few seconds. Just click on the link to Register at the top right of the page, and follow instructions. If you have any problems or questions, click on the link at the bottom right of the page to Contact Us.

MVC 1/11- Wichita at Drake

STLBrave I agree with you. I was dancing around it in my earlier post but that was exactly what I was thinking. I think our team is buying into the defense. We did hold them into the high 50's or low 60's if we would've been winning and not have needed to give them all those free throws. The thing is though with this team I have a feeling defense will always need to be stressed since it is the main way we will win and there cannot be a lapse. I also stated that defense still should be stressed because we did hold them to a low number but their percentages were outrageous for a road team. We could've easily gotten the difference in points back by playing better defense throughout the game, but I do agree with you offense is a concern now. If we could get that going and not have to give freebie free throws up at the end of games we could easily hold most teams in the 60 point range.

First one to 65 wins.
 
STLBrave I agree with you. I was dancing around it in my earlier post but that was exactly what I was thinking. I think our team is buying into the defense. We did hold them into the high 50's or low 60's if we would've been winning and not have needed to give them all those free throws. The thing is though with this team I have a feeling defense will always need to be stressed since it is the main way we will win and there cannot be a lapse. I also stated that defense still should be stressed because we did hold them to a low number but their percentages were outrageous for a road team. We could've easily gotten the difference in points back by playing better defense throughout the game, but I do agree with you offense is a concern now. If we could get that going and not have to give freebie free throws up at the end of games we could easily hold most teams in the 60 point range.

First one to 65 wins.


I have no problem w/ our coach consistently getting into players' ears about playing D, but now its starting to turn at the risk of our offense...

Which at the latest, their isn't one...we have went into what some would call a slump and opponents have figured out our primary and secondary weaknesses in 3-pt shooting and inside play on both offense and defense...

Holding teams down is not the problem at all at this point, which is a reverse of earlier in the year (i.e. Butler and UMKC games)...

We have to figure out how to play hard all the time and play both ends of the floor...its just as simple as that!

Our previous coach only knew how to coach one end of the floor...and you can see how things turned out for him...
 
I believe if AW was playing and a serviceable big man at the 5, WE, we would not be having this discussion. There really is not much we can do about scoring with this team except play better D, get some easy baskets, get a lead so a the other team has to play man2man, hit our FTs and play with some discipline as not to turn over the ball as much.

Our bigs do not bang well inside and our guards need to be wide open to consistently hit their shot. That leads to our slashers having to produce and that becomes very dicey when a team plays zone.

So what you are saying is this team needs to do things that the personnel we have is not equipped to do well! I say we can turn it up a notch on D, which will help our O immensely.

Without getting any O from our bigs our guards will continue to be guarded like white on rice and TB, CR and TW's lanes will be shut down.
 
I believe if AW was playing and a serviceable big man at the 5, WE, we would not be having this discussion. There really is not much we can do about scoring with this team except play better D, get some easy baskets, get a lead so a the other team has to play man2man, hit our FTs and play with some discipline as not to turn over the ball as much.

Our bigs do not bang well inside and our guards need to be wide open to consistently hit their shot. That leads to our slashers having to produce and that becomes very dicey when a team plays zone.

So what you are saying is this team needs to do things that the personnel we have is not equipped to do well! I say we can turn it up a notch on D, which will help our O immensely.

Without getting any O from our bigs our guards will continue to be guarded like white on rice and TB, CR and TW's lanes will be shut down.


That is not necessarily the reason our guards will continue to have problems...our guards have problems because they're usually outsized...and that will happen many times w/ starting 2 guards under 6 feet tall...

I do agree that still having Will around would help inside greatly as he was on his way to becoming a good if not great player...

Andrew on the other hand hasn't been around all season so we really should've known how to play day 1 without him...and no, thats not saying we don't miss him because we do, however I will still stand by my thoughts that Darian and possibly Dodie are better long range shooters...AW had some trouble last year w/ "shorting" the 3 ball and that was before the line moved back...

Either way, what I'm asking is how much better you want our defense to get? We're don't have the size/quickness backcourt combo on D like when Roberson was here, or the talents of Bennett and Ruffin...and yet we're still holding teams down into the 50's and 60's, which are games we should most certainly win, IF our offense performed at all...

Everyone can keep shouting DEFENSE DEFENSE DEFENSE, but until our offense gets it in gear we will still lose games only giving up scores in the 60's because we'll be in the 50's...

Norris IS our 3-pt shooter and until Jim realizes that and gets him more minutes, Dodie minutes, and lets Chris Roberts get back to being aggressive, we will get crushed by the zone...
 
Back
Top