Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Unconfigured Ad Widget 7

Collapse

Emarion Ellis has left the Bradley program, and is "pursuing other opportunities".

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My point was that several of the ones I mentioned were here for one year and did not help to build a long-term program. Let's face it most just did not want to play Wardle's style. Yes several went on to have successful careers in other schools. The style did not fit Pettigrew or Ellis. I forget why Nolan left.

My memory is bad but it seems like East did not like Bradley's controlled style and played better in a faster paced game and is in MO. Wardle's style of play is of course his own and has had success with it, but it is not for all recruits. As someone mentioned, this is on the shoulders of both parties.

I think a lot of this thread in based on we have a limited number of guards and 5 players for the 5 spot. Yes, occasionally they make a very brief appearance at the 4 but were mostly recruited and used at the 5. I will admit I do like size at the 5. I know they are listed at forwards but even Hannah is playing mostly the five spot.

Comment

Originally posted by PhiAlphaBoy View Post

Best post of this thread.
      I agree with this somewhat, the staff is responsible for recruits coming here and not fitting in with their coaching. The players are at fault for not understanding before they commit how much work they have to put in to be able to play at Bradley. I think in Ellis"s case he has not fully recovered and did not give it enough time. The problem with this seasons roster is not having a backup point guard and shooting guard that are able to shoot the 3.

Comment

Originally posted by BUBraves2006 View Post
        I've had the opportunity to read this entire thread after today's game, not before it. Here are my thoughts:

- It's completely unquestionable that we have been playing better since Ellis was buried on the bench. Yes, Hickman has been the biggest factor, but we have played much better since he hasn't been playing. We just absolutely spanked a decent Missouri State team and made them look awful even with our so called terrible depth.

- His play, which I'm on record was encouraging to start the season, completely fell off the table. Go back and watch the games - he couldn't be trusted to do much of anything other than turn the ball over when he was in the game.

- Count me in the group that YES, playing a walkon gives us a much better chance to win than a guy who was a net negative when out there. Your scholarship status is irrelevant when it comes to the fact of how you do or don't contribute to the team's success.

- It's a complete crapshoot with everyone in the portal. That is sort of why it is what it is. The best guys are generally going to stay at their programs. Has our success in finding good players been underwhelming? Yes, but I just don't know what the expectation level really is supposed to be.

- Bradley basketball has been in such a better place since Wardle got here, it's crazy to read such negativity coming off a conference title and while still having a good season so far this year. I want a team that plays the right way that never packs it in. And if some people aren't pulling on the chain in that way, I don't really care about their pedigree, last school, how much NIL money they got, etc. Either they are a fit or they are not.

10-5 and you'd think we were 5-10 the way some people complain on here.
        Well said BUBraves2006

Comment

Originally posted by Bradley3342 View Post

Well said BUBraves2006
          Anyone remember Danny Adams his senior year? From 3 pt he was 5/9 against Wich St, 4/6 against ISUr, 4/5 against Evansville, 6/13 in a loss to MoSt, 4/6 in a win against Rutgers, 8/12 in a win against FAMU.

A walk on playing over a scholarship player is meaningless to me if that player is the best shot to win in that game/moment.
          Thinking is the hardest work, that is why so few people do it. -Henry Ford

Yeah...I've been in college for a while now and I'm pretty sure that awesomest is not a word. -Andrew E.

Comment

Originally posted by Stryker View Post

Anyone remember Danny Adams his senior year? From 3 pt he was 5/9 against Wich St, 4/6 against ISUr, 4/5 against Evansville, 6/13 in a loss to MoSt, 4/6 in a win against Rutgers, 8/12 in a win against FAMU.

A walk on playing over a scholarship player is meaningless to me if that player is the best shot to win in that game/moment.
            And although Danny only played a few minutes in the 2006 NCAA Tournament games against Kansas and Pitt (Danny's junior year), I remember seeing him defend Big 12 Freshman of the Year Brandon Rush effectively and hold him scoreless on a few possessions when Rush thought he could take Danny 1 on 1, Danny was never considered the greatest defender, but for a few minutes in that game, he came out OK, while giving guys like Tony Bennett, Lawrence Wright, and Will Franklin a needed rest.

Comment

Originally posted by Da Coach View Post

And although Danny only played a few minutes in the 2006 NCAA Tournament games against Kansas and Pitt (Danny's junior year), I remember seeing him defend Big 12 Freshman of the Year Brandon Rush effectively and hold him scoreless on a few possessions when Rush thought he could take Danny 1 on 1, Danny was never considered the greatest defender, but for a few minutes in that game, he came out OK, while giving guys like Tony Bennett, Lawrence Wright, and Will Franklin a needed rest.
              The Man, The Myth, The Legend...Danny Adams. And no I'm not him but we had class together and I still see him from time to time outside of BU games. Great guy, really enjoyed watching him play. Had a great stroke and was ready to battle every time he was called on. I keep telling him to keep his youngsters in the gym, we are going to want them at BU some day.

Comment

Originally posted by ManMythLegend View Post

The Man, The Myth, The Legend...Danny Adams. And no I'm not him but we had class together and I still see him from time to time outside of BU games. Great guy, really enjoyed watching him play. Had a great stroke and was ready to battle every time he was called on. I keep telling him to keep his youngsters in the gym, we are going to want them at BU some day.
                I graduated when he did and we both take our boys down courtside at games to high five the players. Its fun to see a guy like Danny still in Peoria and raising a family just like regular old guy myself.
                Thinking is the hardest work, that is why so few people do it. -Henry Ford

Yeah...I've been in college for a while now and I'm pretty sure that awesomest is not a word. -Andrew E.

Comment

DC, don't you remember a baseball player walking on to the basketball team and the career he had. About 65 years or so ago, Bradley recruited and played an intramural player who played a lot. I can't remember why they dipped into the intramural league.

Everybody seem to think criticizing recruiting is asking for Wardle's dismissal. Nobody stated that. I think some of us can be concerned about the future of the team. (Although at my age that is rediculous.) Is the portal the best play for Wardle to recruit. Recruiting high school and JC players allows for more time to know the player.

It was mentioned Bradley could bring back all but one on the team next year. Personally that scares me a little. Johnson may be the backup PG we need but we still could use a 2 that can shoot from the arc. Someone to backup Hickman. Is Burch that person?

Comment

Originally posted by LongTimeFan View Post
                    DC, don't you remember a baseball player walking on to the basketball team and the career he had. About 65 years or so ago, Bradley recruited and played an intramural player who played a lot. I can't remember why they dipped into the intramural league.

Everybody seem to think criticizing recruiting is asking for Wardle's dismissal. Nobody stated that. I think some of us can be concerned about the future of the team. (Although at my age that is rediculous.) Is the portal the best play for Wardle to recruit. Recruiting high school and JC players allows for more time to know the player.

It was mentioned Bradley could bring back all but one on the team next year. Personally that scares me a little. Johnson may be the backup PG we need but we still could use a 2 that can shoot from the arc. Someone to backup Hickman. Is Burch that person?

I think Burch right now is a scorer and not a 3 point shooter. Hoping he can work on his shot and become one. I still believe you have to go out and find more 3 point shooters, a 2 guard and a 3 guard that are capable of consistent 3 point shooting. Hopefully players that are 6-3 and taller. We will also need someone to replace Leons at the 4, a 6-8 that can score and rebound.

Comment

Originally posted by LongTimeFan View Post

I believe the intramural player you mention was Walt Slater. A 6'6" kid that could jump out of the gym. Stowell found him playing in an intramural league here in town.

Comment

You sound like an 'old timer' also. I remember the 'Slater' name. I also remember a shorter player with the nickname 'Booty'. I believe first name of Buford. However, you know how it goes at my age, their memory may not be the best. All I was doing in those days was listening to the games on the radio.

Comment

Originally posted by Da Coach View Post
                          Breaking... Emarion Ellis has left the Bradley program, and is "pursuing other opportunities".

From Bradley-

Emarion Ellis will transfer to Nicholls State according to a source...
                          Last edited by yoda; 01-27-2024, 09:00 AM.

Comment

46k2p1.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Da Coach on 1/6/24 View Post
                              As I posted elsewhere Bradley has arguably been the most successful team in the Missouri Valley over the last 5 years. I think I will cut coach Wardle a break on these two players. He knows what he's doing, his system works, and his discipline has proven to be successful.
                              This team is better off if 2 disgruntled players choose to leave. Addition by subtraction

Good luck to Emarion.
                              Looking back, it is not a coincidence that Bradley has not lost a game since Ellis departed, and the average margin of victory has been almost 20 points (despite a close 1 point win at SIU). Team chemistry is very important to winning, and the chemistry this current team has now is as good as it's been in the Wardle years. Got to hope that continues. That's not an insult to any player who departed over the last couple years. They were all good kids who pretty much left on good terms.

Comment

Where is Pettigrew? Since his scholarship has been used elsewhere I assume he has left Bradley.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget 6

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X