2024 Commitment..PG JaQuan Johnson...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2024 Commitment..PG JaQuan Johnson...

2024 PG 5'11 Jaquan "Bully" Johnson commits to Bradley tonight....from Milwaukee Pope Pias Catholic HS.....

Dave Eminian has an article out but I cannot get in....was at the Utah State game...
    committed to Bradley becuase they play fast.
    Avg 27 pts per game as a jr...6 asst and 6 rbs.... 4 steals and shot 36% from 3...sounds like a good one!

Comment

He was at the Utah State game last Saturday, and sat in the same row I sit in. He seemed very impressed with Bradley. I was somewhat expecting him to commit before the end of the early signing period on Wednesday, but there is no mention that happened. Here is a post I made about him earlier this evening on the recruiting thread- https://www.bradleyfans.com/forum/sp...233#post513233
      So if he did not submit his signed NLI before the end of Wednesday, he would have to wait until the spring signing period which runs from April 17 to May 15, 2024. But at least Coach Wardle has his point guard for the class of 2024!

And the article is actually by Adam Duvall... Here are a couple clips from the article- 'They play fast': Why this high-scoring prep point guard picked Bradley basketball - www.pjstar.com/story/sports/college/basketball/bradley-hoops/2023/11/17/bradley-basketball-recruiting-milwaukee-recruit-jaquan-johnson-commits-to-bu-braves/71629027007/

The Bradley men's basketball program has received a commitment from Jaquan Johnson, a high-scoring guard from Wisconsin.
      The Milwaukee Pius XI Catholic High School senior is a physical 5-foot-11 point guard who averaged 27.2 points, 6.2 rebounds, 6 assists and 4 steals as a junior last season on his way to third-team all-state in Wisconsin.
      "I’m a pass-first guard, but I score at will," Johnson told the Journal Star on Friday night. "... I’m very excited (to get this commitment this out of the way). It takes a lot of stress off me (and) get ready for the season."
      Johnson .... is an "ultra-quick and very physical point guard who can attack off the bounce and create for himself and others," according to wissports.net.
      Bradley's offensive style, especially utilizing their strong guard play, also was a selling point for Johnson.
      "They play fast," Johnson said, "but like they also have that little guard there (5-foot-8 Duke Deen), so I definitely was watching a lot of him. I like how they put him in the right position, because I know that me and him are almost the same size.
      "It’s always ... been my dream to be a D1 basketball player thanks to coach (Brian) Wardle and the rest of Bradley coaching staff for believing in me," Johnson wrote on his Instagram post. "Thank you to all the people that’s been on this long journey with me and giving me the opportunity to go to the next level!
      "It’s only up from here! 100% committed."

Comment

Video of Jaquan Johnson- https://www.instagram.com/p/Cq54rFWA_Eq/

And a few more YouTube videos-
        >https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-w1qMWG9bUg
        >https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDiIGVuV5oM
        >https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Xm7UlBLpzk

I think I like this kid!

Comment

Good Deal. Wardle has had success with these smaller guards like Darrell Brown and Duke Deen, I hope for the same here. I also like that Wardle is starting to get players out of Milwaukee (Hannah and Burch).

Comment

Originally posted by BUfan17 View Post
            Good Deal. Wardle has had success with these smaller guards like Darrell Brown and Duke Deen, I hope for the same here. I also like that Wardle is starting to get players out of Milwaukee (Hannah and Burch).
            Coach Wardle and the staff have done a terrific job recruiting in recent years. It's nice to see Bradley go after and land guards who are proven scorers, and not simply athletes.
            These last 2 Milwaukee recruits have been prolific scorers in high school. Demarion Burch averaged 27.3 ppg as a senior last year at Milwaukee Alexander Hamilton HS, and 2024 commit Jaquan Johnson averaged 27.2 ppg as a junior last season at Milwaukee Pope Pius XI HS.
            Current players...
            Duke Deen was a Top 20 scorer in the NJCAA with an average of 20.0 ppg at Panola College before he attended Troy University.
            Emarion Ellis was the Class 3A Player of the Year in Iowa in 2020-21 at Assumption High School in Davenport, IA, where he averaged 18.1 points per game as a senior.
            Christian Davis had a 55 point game as a senior in high school in Denver that included 15-19 on three pointers- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zuwirZfr8Bo
            Connor Hickman was a terrific scorer (15.0 ppg) his junior year in high school helping lead his Bloomington South HS (which included 2 other D1 recruits) to a 26-0 record and a likely state championship before the tournament was cancelled due to Covid. (he missed his senior year due to injury).
            And I don't want to forget anyone... Darius Hannah averaged 17.6 ppg and 11.3 rpg his senior year at Milwaukee Academy of Science and Malevy Leons was the consensus Junior College Player of the Year at Mineral Area College averaging 18.7 points and 9.5 rebounds as a sophomore.

Comment

Originally posted by Da Coach View Post

Coach Wardle and the staff have done a terrific job recruiting in recent years. It's nice to see Bradley go after and land guards who are proven scorers, and not simply athletes.
              These last 2 Milwaukee recruits have been prolific scorers in high school. Demarion Burch averaged 27.3 ppg as a senior last year at Milwaukee Alexander Hamilton HS, and 2024 commit Jaquan Johnson averaged 27.2 ppg as a junior last season at Milwaukee Pope Pius XI HS.
              Current players...
              Duke Deen was a Top 20 scorer in the NJCAA with an average of 20.0 ppg at Panola College before he attended Troy University.
              Emarion Ellis was the Class 3A Player of the Year in Iowa in 2020-21 at Assumption High School in Davenport, IA, where he averaged 18.1 points per game as a senior.
              Christian Davis had a 55 point game as a senior in high school in Denver that included 15-19 on three pointers- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zuwirZfr8Bo
              Connor Hickman was a terrific scorer (15.0 ppg) his junior year in high school helping lead his Bloomington South HS (which included 2 other D1 recruits) to a 26-0 record and a likely state championship before the tournament was cancelled due to Covid. (he missed his senior year due to injury).
              And I don't want to forget anyone... Darius Hannah averaged 17.6 ppg and 11.3 rpg his senior year at Milwaukee Academy of Science and Malevy Leons was the consensus Junior College Player of the Year at Mineral Area College averaging 18.7 points and 9.5 rebounds as a sophomore.
              Agree, high school recruits need to be scorers . I do not want players coming in that cannot make shots.I would take a transfer that averages 12 points a game to go along with 12 rebounds and is 6-6 or taller and athletic. Playing fast is important to athletic players.No great athlete wants to play for a team that averages 55 to 60 points a game.

Comment

Kingsby was also a Milwaukee kid but never panned out here

Comment

Great that we are getting much needed help at the guard position for next year. In a league like the MVC, you need guards who can put the ball in the basket. As a freshman it would be awesome if he could contribute 8-10 pts. per game. Anything more would be icing on the cake so to speak.

Comment

This is a very important get, especially if Deen decided not to come back. We needs guards and Wardle seems to have success with this type of guard and I’m glad he can shoot decently too (I always believe that’s important). Burch looks more like a potential point than I thought, but still need more PG depth.

Our high school recruiting has been really good and I think there’s an opportunity there with everyone focused on D1 transfers. Everyone seems to think transfers are better because of experience, but I still think we need to be more selective when taking them, as we have struggled overall with that. Look at this year; I’d take Atlason and Burch as freshmen over almost any D1 transfer we’ve had recently. Other than Deen (Davis was DII) have we had any D1 transfer success so far in this program? There’s been Nolan, McAdoo, East, Pettigrew none of whom really worked out. The jury is still out on Ellis and Thomas but the early returns are underwhelming. Howell was a grad transfer, which I think is different, and he was only solid in a backup role. Deen is the only huge success I can think of D1 wise.

Get more overlooked freshman, DII, and JUCO talent while everyone else focuses on D1 transfers. I know nothing about almost all of these kids until I see them play, but based on the numbers I like this commitment.

Comment

Originally posted by Mo valley View Post
                      sounds like a good pickup.

Originally posted by BUfan14 View Post
                      This is a very important get....
                      indeed, more than just getting a good point guard prospect...
                      This shows Brian Wardle is energized as a recruiter. Point guard is a key position, & unlike a whole lot of midmajor & low major coaches, BW has established success landing the players he prioritizes and targets.
                      He doesn't have to settle for 2nd, 3rd or 4th choice or what's left after the upper half of DI schools get their point guards.

So regardless of what anyone thinks of Jaquon, this is the guy Wardle wanted, targeted & went after as a priority & landed him.
                      He did the same with the last couple PG's, Deen & Roberts & they turned out to be winners who helped BU win Championships

Comment

I talked with someone who is familiar with Jaquan Johnson from the AAU circuit, where Johnson has played as well or better than some high-major recruits he's played against. He puts up big numbers there, too, and some of those high-major recruits have had problems guarding him.

Other recruiting sites describe his game as well rounded. They say he can drive, he can shoot on the move, he can absorb contact, and he's a good defender.
                        I think he will have a great senior year. Good to get a commitment now.

Comment

Kid looks pretty solid!( Strong)

Comment

Jaquan Johnson's high school team, Milwaukee Pope Pius XI won their first game of the 2023-24 season tonight 80-72 over Milwaukee Rufus King HS.
                            Jaquan was the leading scorer, rebounder, and star of the game with 38 points (the graphic is incorrect), 12 rebounds, and 9 assists- https://twitter.com/PiusXIBBall/stat...15303528026538

Comment

Wow....what a game....

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget 6

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X