Early 2023-24 projection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Early 2023-24 projection

College basketball blogger Bart Torvik has released his 2023-24 projections for the MVC.
    He has Bradley winning the MVC again.

some commentary-https://twitter.com/BigTimeTimJim/st...64120122728450

I have a feeling the MVC will have 3-4 teams in the top 100 by the end of the year and be on the bubble of being a 2-bid league. This may be the best Valley since Wichita left.
    The True Gentleman is the man whose conduct proceeds from good will and an acute sense of propriety, and whose self-control is equal to all emergencies... - John Walter Wayland

Comment

“, while 100% of Northern Iowa's minutes return for 2023-24”

that’s a little concerning.

Comment

I agree!!

Comment

It’s worse than that with Heise returning and the either potential or likely return of Phyfe. They worry me a lot.
          houstonbrave

Comment

Originally posted by houstonbrave View Post
            It’s worse than that with Heise returning and the either potential or likely return of Phyfe. They worry me a lot.
            Not to mention the pickup of Hutson from Loyola, UNI could easily be the Valley favorite.
            The True Gentleman is the man whose conduct proceeds from good will and an acute sense of propriety, and whose self-control is equal to all emergencies... - John Walter Wayland

Comment

Thanks for the link, I hadn’t seen this site!

Looking at Torvik’s individual player projections on Bradley, he has them repeating not so much on the strength of the additions as on the returning core of Leons/Deen/Hickman/Hannah. Losing Mast and Montgomery it was easy to underestimate how much talent they still do have returning.

Comment

UNI is going to be a tough matchup for the entire Valley this year. I'm hopeful for us but a lot is going to depend on Leons being more selfish/aggressive, Hannah continuing to develop and a couple of our new guys being ready to contribute quickly. Hickman being more consistent would be a huge boost I really like the way he can play at times, when he's confident he's dangerous. Very much looking forward to the season.

Comment

Originally posted by ManMythLegend View Post
                  UNI is going to be a tough matchup for the entire Valley this year. I'm hopeful for us but a lot is going to depend on Leons being more selfish/aggressive, Hannah continuing to develop and a couple of our new guys being ready to contribute quickly. Hickman being more consistent would be a huge boost I really like the way he can play at times, when he's confident he's dangerous. Very much looking forward to the season.
                  Hickman should be better and more consistent next year. He isn't a natural fit at point but does it well enough, and is better playing the 2 spot. With the additions to the roster this year I think it will be likely Hickman's minutes will be more balanced toward the 2 spot in the future, which will help a lot.
                  Thinking is the hardest work, that is why so few people do it. -Henry Ford

Yeah...I've been in college for a while now and I'm pretty sure that awesomest is not a word. -Andrew E.

Comment

Originally posted by Stryker View Post

Hickman should be better and more consistent next year. He isn't a natural fit at point but does it well enough, and is better playing the 2 spot. With the additions to the roster this year I think it will be likely Hickman's minutes will be more balanced toward the 2 spot in the future, which will help a lot.
                    Couldn't agree with you more.

Comment

Hannah will have to stop fouling so much. His build makes it hard to play the 5 for extended periods. I'm hoping for some productive minutes from Jonovic. It would seem that NIU will be the team to beat. Everyone back and a good coach.

Comment

Originally posted by LongTimeFan View Post
                        Hannah will have to stop fouling so much. His build makes it hard to play the 5 for extended periods. I'm hoping for some productive minutes from Jonovic. It would seem that NIU will be the team to beat. Everyone back and a good coach.
                        UNI will be in the mix, but I am not quite as impressed with their 2023-24 prospects. They were the 8th place team in 2022-23 with a losing record in the MVC 14-18 overall, and 9-11 in MVC. Only the dregs of the Valley (ISU, Valpo, UIC, Evansville) finished lower.

Yes, they have virtually everyone back, but that can be a blessing and a curse. They will still have some of the same problems they had this past season. They were nowhere near the top in any offensive or defensive category in the MVC stats, which is unusual for a UNI team.
                        Also, I think the other MVC teams figured out how to defend Bowen Born and UNI as the season progressed. UNI started the MVC schedule 8-3, then lost 8 of their last 9 MVC games. Born was averaging 20 points per game in the non-conference games, and averaged 16.8 ppg in the 20 MVC games.

Also, I don't see Phyfe returning. It would be his 7th year at UNI if he did. The last year he played (2021-22) he was a shell of his former self (5 ppg, 2 rpg, playing in 30 games). He'd need to get a waiver for a 2nd redshirt year, and he's need to pay his own way. They have 3 big men arriving in their 2023 recruiting class, and they are already over the 13 scholarship limit and do not have a scholarship for him. As of now, UNI is at 14 scholarships, even without Phyfe, so will have to shed at least one other scholarship player.
                        They do have a nice recruiting class (Forwards Wesley Rubin & Kyle Pock, guard R.J. Taylor, and Loyola transfer Jacob Hutson). But can they climb over the 7 teams ahead of them? With all the roster turnover in this era of portal, immediate eligibility, and NIL, it's possible, but I am not sold on them yet.

UNI 2023-24 projected roster-
                        https://www.panthernation.com/forum/...952#post727952
                        ? Austin Phyfe- 7th year Sr.- doubtful to return
                        1) ? James Betz- 5th year, Covid-senior
                        2) Bowen Born- 4th year, senior
                        3) Nate Heise- 4th year, redshirt-junior
                        4) Tytan Anderson- 4th, year senior
                        5) Cole Henry- 5th year, redshirt-senior
                        6) Jacon Hutson- 4th year, senior
                        7) Landon Wolf- 3rd year, redshirt-sophomore
                        8 ) Ege Peksari- 2nd year, sophomore
                        9) Trey Campbell- 2nd year, sophomore
                        10) Michael Duax- 3rd year, redshirt-sophomore
                        11) Chase Courbat- 3rd year, redshirt-sophomore
                        12) R.J. Taylor- 1st year, freshman
                        13) Kyle Pock- 1st year, freshman
                        14) Wesley Rubin- 1st year, freshman

Comment

Originally posted by Da Coach View Post

UNI will be in the mix, but I am not quite as impressed with their 2023-24 prospects. They were the 8th place team in 2022-23 with a losing record in the MVC 14-18 overall, and 9-11 in MVC. Only the dregs of the Valley (ISU, Valpo, UIC, Evansville) finished lower.

Yes, they have virtually everyone back, but that can be a blessing and a curse. They will still have some of the same problems they had this past season. They were nowhere near the top in any offensive or defensive category in the MVC stats, which is unusual for a UNI team.
                          Also, I think the other MVC teams figured out how to defend Bowen Born and UNI as the season progressed. UNI started the MVC schedule 8-3, then lost 8 of their last 9 MVC games. Born was averaging 20 points per game in the non-conference games, and averaged 16.8 ppg in the 20 MVC games.

Also, I don't see Phyfe returning. It would be his 7th year at UNI if he did. The last year he played (2021-22) he was a shell of his former self (5 ppg, 2 rpg, playing in 30 games). He'd need to get a waiver for a 2nd redshirt year, and he's need to pay his own way. They have 3 big men arriving in their 2023 recruiting class, and they are already over the 13 scholarship limit and do not have a scholarship for him. As of now, UNI is at 14 scholarships, even without Phyfe, so will have to shed at least one other scholarship player.
                          They do have a nice recruiting class (Forwards Wesley Rubin & Kyle Pock, guard R.J. Taylor, and Loyola transfer Jacob Hutson). But can they climb over the 7 teams ahead of them? With all the roster turnover in this era of portal, immediate eligibility, and NIL, it's possible, but I am not sold on them yet.

UNI 2023-24 projected roster-
                          https://www.panthernation.com/forum/...952#post727952
                          ? Austin Phyfe- 7th year Sr.
                          1) James Betz- 5th year, Covid-senior
                          2) Bowen Born- 4th year, senior
                          3) Nate Heise- 4th year, redshirt-junior
                          4) Tytan Anderson- 4th, year senior
                          5) Cole Henry- 5th year, redshirt-senior
                          6) Jacon Hutson- 4th year, senior
                          7) Landon Wolf- 3rd year, redshirt-sophomore
                          8 ) Ege Peksari- 2nd year, sophomore
                          9) Trey Campbell- 2nd year, sophomore
                          10) Michael Duax- 3rd year, redshirt-sophomore
                          11) Chase Courbat- 3rd year, redshirt-sophomore
                          12) R.J. Taylor- 1st year, freshman
                          13) Kyle Pock- 1st year, freshman
                          14) Wesley Rubin- 1st year, freshman
                          Anything can happen in the MVC seemingly, at least since WSU was dominating it a while ago. Given Jacobson, I have no doubt UNI will be improved as compared to last year. However, I think the MVC was historically weak last year, and will probably be somewhat improved next year. A team that does improve may not actually see a better record next year if the rest of the league sees improvement, especially if the bottom 4 teams actually field better rosters next year. Fewer easy wins to nab. Its all a crapshoot at this point though.
                          Thinking is the hardest work, that is why so few people do it. -Henry Ford

Yeah...I've been in college for a while now and I'm pretty sure that awesomest is not a word. -Andrew E.

Comment

I think UNI will be better but I also think Bradley will be much improved because of our talented guards. I do not see the Valley being much improved because too many teams lost good players to the transfer portal. It is very hard to replace experienced players with new ones.

Comment

I Look at Southern who was a force to contend with this year will only be a fraction as good next year unless recruiting really picks up for them

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget 6

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X