Nevada transfer Trey Pettigrew commits to BU
    Attached Files

Boy This has been one helluva weekend

Comment

Wow....6'4 guard, nice!

Comment

Here was the info we had posted about Trey Pettigrew from 3/27/23-

Originally posted by Da Coach View Post
        New portal name- Trey Pettigrew- 6'3" combo guard originally from Chicago Kenwood Academy in the class of 2022. Bradley showed some interest in him out of high school, but he eventually committed to Nevada. In his freshman season at Nevada (2022-23), he played in 27 of their 33 games, averaging 11 minutes per game, 3.2 ppg, 1.4 rpg, and 9-35 from three on the season. His playing time dropped off late in the season, and now he has entered the transfer portal.
        Bio- https://nevadawolfpack.com/sports/me...pettigrew/8477
        Stats- https://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...trey-pettigrew

Comment

From Bradley men's basketball-

From Trey Pettigrew-

Comment

I thought Pettigrrew was a pg initially too but he's always been mentioned as a combo guard, even coming out of high school. I think he will be similar to Sean East style-wise and that adding an established pg through the portal or as a grad transfer would be a smart thing to do. I expect big things from Pettigrew before he's done at Bradley.
            The True Gentleman is the man whose conduct proceeds from good will and an acute sense of propriety, and whose self-control is equal to all emergencies... - John Walter Wayland

Comment

I'm glad we're getting kids from Chicagoland again!

Comment

Originally posted by BUfan14
                I’ve been trying to find more to read on what to expect from Pettigrew and this article from a Nevada site seems interesting:

The freshman out of Chicago played limited minutes as a rookie and entered the transfer portal this week in search of more playing time elsewhere.

I assume our plan is to have him as starting point, but this article mentions his skills at point and his defense are projects, which obviously sub par defense won’t fly with Brian. His numbers (in very limited minutes) seemed to have very low steals and assists (even for his minute level), and his three percentage was low.

So anyone have a better idea what to expect? What is his game like, is he more of a driver and that’s it? I know he was a highly touted prospect last year, and he was behind good players ar Nevada. I’m hoping he shoots betters than those limited numbers show. I’m hoping his point play, assists, and steals are projected to develop quicker than this article seems to indicate. Do we expect him to be our starting point next year?
                Anybody can play defense. It is played with your head, feet and effort. I don't believe the BU staff would have gone after him if they didn't think he could coached to play defense.

Comment

Originally posted by Bball31 View Post

Anybody can play defense. It is played with your head, feet and effort. I don't believe the BU staff would have gone after him if they didn't think he could coached to play defense.
                  We’ve had plenty of guys Brian signed come in and not play a ton the first year or two because their defense wasn’t up to par. Zek was one of those. I’m sure they think he can do it, but will it be instant or is it a project as the article mentioned? I didn’t watch him play, but four steals in 306 minutes isn’t very much. That’s on top of 9 assists in the same time which makes his per 40 stats 0.5 steals and 1.2 assists. I’m not making any conclusions based on this, but I’m curious what everyone else sees/projects that I don’t know about here other than he was projected to have talent out of high school. Also I’m curious what position he will play if his PG skills are raw and how well he is projected to shoot from three. The only things I know at this point are his stats and that Nevada article talking about his game as skilled but raw still. So I could be missing a lot of info here no doubt.

I disagree with the sentiment anyone can play defense as well. I believe there is a lot of skill to it beyond just effort. Having quick hands, discipline, focus, quick feet, smart decision making, the ability to understand and make quick adjustments, digest game plans in detail for different situations and players, communication with teammates are all skills a lot of players don’t have. The basketball intelligence and being quick mentally alone are skills in my opinion. We’ve seen plenty of great athletes be poor defenders. And it’s not always all effort, in my opinion, that holds them back. But some guys just don’t have the desire to play defense either, that is true.

Comment

I agree that good defense is pure " want to commitment by the player"....some players just don't possess the desire to do it.
                    Also question Trey as a PG and see Burch as more of a PG....but I'm just basically going of the limited video watched on both player's....?

Comment

Originally posted by Bball31 View Post
                      I'm glad we're getting kids from Chicagoland again!
                      prob nobody cares (I do), but Loyola has contacted and offered 60 to 70 different kids in the portal
                      and yet, and they did land one from Davidson who averages 9ppg, shooting 27% from the arc.
                      Meanwhile, Bradley's only offered two kids from the portal -
                      both top talent kids from Chicago - and landed both of them.

Comment

Originally posted by BUfan14 View Post

We’ve had plenty of guys Brian signed come in and not play a ton the first year or two because their defense wasn’t up to par. Zek was one of those. I’m sure they think he can do it, but will it be instant or is it a project as the article mentioned? I didn’t watch him play, but four steals in 306 minutes isn’t very much. That’s on top of 9 assists in the same time which makes his per 40 stats 0.5 steals and 1.2 assists. I’m not making any conclusions based on this, but I’m curious what everyone else sees/projects that I don’t know about here other than he was projected to have talent out of high school. Also I’m curious what position he will play if his PG skills are raw and how well he is projected to shoot from three. The only things I know at this point are his stats and that Nevada article talking about his game as skilled but raw still. So I could be missing a lot of info here no doubt.

I disagree with the sentiment anyone can play defense as well. I believe there is a lot of skill to it beyond just effort. Having quick hands, discipline, focus, quick feet, smart decision making, the ability to understand and make quick adjustments, digest game plans in detail for different situations and players, communication with teammates are all skills a lot of players don’t have. The basketball intelligence and being quick mentally alone are skills in my opinion. We’ve seen plenty of great athletes be poor defenders. And it’s not always all effort, in my opinion, that holds them back. But some guys just don’t have the desire to play defense either, that is true.
                        I watched the videos of him playing and found the reason why his assists were low. He doesn't pass the ball. Very athletic but if he is going to play for Wardle he will need to learn to play team ball not me ball

Comment

Originally posted by bradleyfan124 View Post

I watched the videos of him playing and found the reason why his assists were low. He doesn't pass the ball. Very athletic but if he is going to play for Wardle he will need to learn to play team ball not me ball
                          Three words: Mac Irvin Fire
                          The True Gentleman is the man whose conduct proceeds from good will and an acute sense of propriety, and whose self-control is equal to all emergencies... - John Walter Wayland

Comment

Originally posted by PhiAlphaBoy View Post

Could be a result of him being buried on the bench and trying to prove himself. I'm going to go ahead and put it out there that Coach Wardle and his staff are better recruiters and know our program needs better than everyone on this board combined.

Comment

Originally posted by PhiAlphaBoy View Post

I can do it in 2 words, Jojo McGlaston

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget 6

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X