Collapse

Coaching Carousel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Long Beach State's Dan Monson has been fired effective the end of the season after 17 seasons. LBSU is in the Big West tourney championship game. Imagine going dancing with a fired coach.
    After agreeing to a "mutual separation" with Long Beach State on Monday, coach Dan Monson has his team in the Big West title game and a win away from an improbable NCAA Tournament berth.
    My first BU hoops game was on 12/30/1963. My dad took me to watch the Braves defeat Arizona 67-59. He helped me get Coach Orsborn's autograph before the game.

Comment

• Originally posted by 64NIT View Post
      Long Beach State's Dan Monson has been fired effective the end of the season after 17 seasons. LBSU is in the Big West tourney championship game. Imagine going dancing with a fired coach.
      https://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...oach-dismissal
      Long Beach State has won 20 games this season (20-14), and as you noted, they are playing for the championship of the Big West Conference tonight and a bid to the NCAA Tournament. So this seems strange. Long Beach State did not refer to it as a firing. Their wording is:
      "Beach Athletics And Men‘s Basketball Head Coach Dan Monson Mutually Agree To Separation" - https://longbeachstate.com/news/2024...-to-separation

The rumors are that he was pushed out, but probably received a nice buyout, thus they use the terms "mutually agree to separate".
      He has been at LBSU for 17 seasons and has had some success. They won the Big West regular season 2 years ago. But they have never made it to the NCAA Tournament under Monson. - https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb...ach-state/men/
      But there are people who still remember the success they had under Jerry Tarkanian in the early 1970's and think the program can return to that level.
      Monson is just 62 years old, so it isn't likely he is planning on retiring.

Long Beach State will play Jim Les' UC Davis team tonight for the championship of the Big West and an automatic bid to the NCAA.

Incidentally, here is an article from the Davis, California newspaper that has some nice things to say about Coach Les:
      "Aren't we lucky to have... Les?" - https://www.davisenterprise.com/town...29661817c.html

Comment

• Houston Christian of the Southland Conference has hired a highly successful Division II coach, Craig Doty - https://hoopdirt.com/2024-college-ba...anges-tracker/

Doty won two NJCAA National championships at Rock Valley College, a junior college in Rockford, Illinois., and he's had success at the NAIA, too.
        Most recently, he has been at D2 Emporia State in Kansas, and won 23 games this season and played in the D2 NCAA Tournament.

Here are the latest changes in 2024 coaching positions- https://hoopdirt.com/2024-college-ba...anges-tracker/

Comment

• Canisius fires head coach Reggie Witherspoon - https://twitter.com/GoodmanHoops/sta...10274512932883

That brings the total number of D1 coaching changes to nearly 40.

Comment

• Originally posted by Da Coach View Post
            Long Beach State will play Jim Les' UC Davis team tonight for the championship of the Big West and an automatic bid to the NCAA.
            Fired ("mutually agreed separation") Monson and LBSU defeated UCD 74-70 and Jim Les to go dancing.
            My first BU hoops game was on 12/30/1963. My dad took me to watch the Braves defeat Arizona 67-59. He helped me get Coach Orsborn's autograph before the game.

Comment

• Originally posted by 64NIT View Post
              Fired ("mutually agreed separation") Monson and LBSU defeated UCD 74-70 and Jim Les to go dancing.
              I watched that game. I was rooting for Jim Les. Disappointing!

Comment

• Rumor of Josh Schertz to leave Indiana State to coach St Louis https://x.com/jeffborzello/status/1769540775124115905?s=20

Comment

• Jeff Borzello has very reliable sources, so the question is, will he take the job?
                  He has virtually every key player returning next year, except 6th man Xavier Bledson

Comment

• Originally posted by Da Coach View Post
                    Jeff Borzello has very reliable sources, so the question is, will he take the job?
                    He has virtually every key player returning next year, except 6th man Xavier Bledson
                    He probably also has at least a few that will follow him wherever.

Comment

• Originally posted by egib52 View Post

He probably also has at least a few that will follow him wherever.
                      That would be my guess also

Comment

• Originally posted by bradleyfan124 View Post

That would be my guess also
                        I'd be very very surprised if he stays. InSU can't come close to the number SLU can offer him. And he can just take most of his players with him.

Comment

• Originally posted by ManMythLegend View Post

I'd be very very surprised if he stays. InSU can't come close to the number SLU can offer him. And he can just take most of his players with him.
                          Yep, just take the roster with him, get a big upgrade, and give SLU a better season next year than this year with that roster.
                          Thinking is the hardest work, that is why so few people do it. -Henry Ford

Yeah...I've been in college for a while now and I'm pretty sure that awesomest is not a word. -Andrew E.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stryker View Post

Yep, just take the roster with him, get a big upgrade, and give SLU a better season next year than this year with that roster.
                            You have to feel bad for Indiana State but that's what happens with MVC coaches who do well. They get hired out by the bigger schools with more money

Comment

• Originally posted by bradleyfan124 View Post

You have to feel bad for Indiana State but that's what happens with MVC coaches who do well. They get hired out by the bigger schools with more money
                              Trying to remember here...Wichita State and Creighton both were able to keep their coaches as the schools just moved up conferences instead...Is Jacobson the last MVC coach that had strong consideration to move up and never did? I've got a lot of respect for him honestly.
                              Thinking is the hardest work, that is why so few people do it. -Henry Ford

Yeah...I've been in college for a while now and I'm pretty sure that awesomest is not a word. -Andrew E.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stryker View Post

Trying to remember here...Wichita State and Creighton both were able to keep their coaches as the schools just moved up conferences instead...Is Jacobson the last MVC coach that had strong consideration to move up and never did? I've got a lot of respect for him honestly.
                                Yes, but several years ago UNI with the help of some generous donors boosted his salary to $750,000 and made him one of the highest paid mid-major coaches in the country to keep him. In 2021, he signed an extension through 2029, and his salary now, according to an open records request a couple years ago by the Waterloo-Cedar Falls Gazette has risen to a total compensation package of over $1,000,000 per year, which is twice as much as the next highest MVC coach is getting.​

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget 6

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X