Coaching Carousel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Da Coach View Post
    With exactly one year as a D1 head coach and a decent season at Fairleigh Dickinson (21-16 and tied for 2nd in the NEC), coupled with a lucky break that allowed Fairleigh Dickinson into the NCAA Tournament (NEC tournament winner Merrimack was ineligible), and allowed them to upset Purdue, FDU head coach Tobin Anderson is hired to replace Rick Pitino at Iona-
    https://twitter.com/JonRothstein/sta...94732034555905
    He was a candidate at Iona prior to the hiring of Pitino there. I believe Tobin was a very very successful DII coach near Iona for years, which is why he was considered. It is likely he would have been the hire at Iona even without the big NCAA win this year.
    Thinking is the hardest work, that is why so few people do it. -Henry Ford

Yeah...I've been in college for a while now and I'm pretty sure that awesomest is not a word. -Andrew E.

Comment

Originally posted by Stryker View Post

He was a candidate at Iona prior to the hiring of Pitino there. I believe Tobin was a very very successful DII coach near Iona for years, which is why he was considered. It is likely he would have been the hire at Iona even without the big NCAA win this year.
      He was Lou Griffith's coach at St. Thomas Aquinas.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Coach View Post

He was Lou Griffith's coach at St. Thomas Aquinas.
        Speaking of Lou Griffith, I posted this a while ago, but for those who missed it....
        Lou is a grad-assistant coach at Division III North Park University in Chicago.-

They had a pretty good season this year- went 24-6, won the CCIW Tournament, and advanced to the Sweet 16 of the D3 NCAA Tournament

ALLIANCE, Ohio -- The North Park men's basketball team concluded their fantastic 2023-23 season in the Sweet Sixteen against the third-ranked Mount Union Purple Raiders on Friday night, falling to the pod host 102-85.

Comment

Wichita State off the board.

Jon Rothstein

@JonRothstein
          Source: Wichita State has officially hired Oral Roberts' Paul Mills as its next head basketball coach.
          Quote Tweet

Jon Rothstein
          @JonRothstein
          ·
          2h
          Sources: Oral Roberts' Paul Mills has emerged as a leading candidate for the head coaching vacancy at Wichita State. The two sides are working towards an official agreement soon.
          houstonbrave

Comment

It's nice going on shockernet and reading their complaints about their new coach, some of them wish they had just kept Brown another year.

Comment

Are they upset they hired a Summit League coach?

Comment

Boston College gave head coach Earl Grant a 2-year extension through 2028-29.
                https://bceagles.com/news/2023/3/21/...on_032123.aspx

This is relevant because it could keep Jim Molinari employed a few more years. Jim has been an assistant coach on Earl Grant's staff the last 2 seasons, since he lost his job as an assistant at Oklahoma in 2021 when Lon Kruger was let go (Porter Moser was hired).
                https://bceagles.com/sports/mens-bas...-molinari/2139

Jim is 68 years old now, so I wonder how much longer he'll continue to coach. He should be pretty well set if he does retire. He'll probably have pensions from his stints at DePaul, Northern Illinois, Bradley, Minnesota, Ball State, Western Illinois, Nebraska, Oklahoma, and BC.

Comment

Originally posted by Da Coach View Post
                  Are they upset they hired a Summit League coach?
                  That is part of it. Most seemed to want Jans, Kellen Sampson, or Bobby Richey. Some of them didn't even want DeVries. He was not on most of their radar, and they really didn't want Spradlin from Morehead St. The delusion is still alive over there and how highly they view themselves. Lots of comments on how its not exciting, worried if he can land big recruits, and how they better have lots of ticket promotions to get people to come watch next year.

Comment

Originally posted by Fetz86 View Post

That is part of it. Most seemed to want Jans, Kellen Sampson, or Bobby Richey. Some of them didn't even want DeVries. He was not on most of their radar, and they really didn't want Spradlin from Morehead St. The delusion is still alive over there and how highly they view themselves. Lots of comments on how its not exciting, worried if he can land big recruits, and how they better have lots of ticket promotions to get people to come watch next year.
                    That sounds like spoiled Shocker fans.
                    Nothing was more fun then to see rhem lose on Friday or Saturday in St Louis. To watch them leave from the Peartree on their chartered bus the next morning was always fun because for a couple days they thought they owned the hotel.

Comment

I do think Paul Mills is a very good coach, and what he's done at Oral Roberts is impressive. He actually took a pay cut from his assistant coach position at Baylor when he took the ORU job. But he's proven himself, and deserves a chance at a higher level. I hope he's successful at Wichita State, though I would normally be happy to see them struggle for a few more years.

Comment

Originally posted by basketball nut View Post

That sounds like spoiled Shocker fans.
                        Nothing was more fun then to see rhem lose on Friday or Saturday in St Louis. To watch them leave from the Peartree on their chartered bus the next morning was always fun because for a couple days they thought they owned the hotel.
                        I was in St. Louis for another reason one time and ran into a person wearing a Wichita State sweatshirt. I thought I would say Hi to him and say I was a Bradley fan. His response was some smart-*ss comment about the lowly MVC conference and how they were better off being out of there. I wanted to punch him

Comment

Originally posted by bradleyfan124 View Post

I was in St. Louis for another reason one time and ran into a person wearing a Wichita State sweatshirt. I thought I would say Hi to him and say I was a Bradley fan. His response was some smart-*ss comment about the lowly MVC conference and how they were better off being out of there. I wanted to punch him
                          You should always follow your heart, BF124.
                          Larry Bird
                          I've got a theory that if you give 100 percent all of the time, somehow things will work out in the end.

Comment

A few years ago, we stayed at the Sheraton in St Louis, which was the fan headquarters for Loyola’s fans. They had planned a big dinner reception on the Friday night at the hotel. They lost Friday and the Loyola fans left. Bradley won the tournament and went on the Des Moines to play vs Michigan State. I always thought Loyola fans were somewhat smug with how they perceived their teams being so much better than other conference teams. But, Wichita fans were much worse. Rule number 1: do not promote your victory celebration until your goal has been achieved.

Comment

Originally posted by molar50 View Post
                              A few years ago, we stayed at the Sheridan in St Louis, which was the fan headquarters for Loyola’s fans. They had planned a big dinner reception on the Friday night at the hotel. They lost Friday and the Loyola fans left. Bradley won the tournament and went on the Des Moines to play vs Michigan State. I always thought Loyola fans were somewhat smug with how they perceived their teams being so much better than other conference teams. But, Wichita fans were much worse. Rule number 1: do not promote your victory celebration until your goal has been achieved.
                              Pretty funny about the Loyola fans, as aside from 2018 they hadn't done anything since the mid 80s as a program...haha.
                              Thinking is the hardest work, that is why so few people do it. -Henry Ford

Yeah...I've been in college for a while now and I'm pretty sure that awesomest is not a word. -Andrew E.

Comment

Originally posted by Tommy View Post

You should always follow your heart, BF124.
                                Lol!

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget 6

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X