Bradley 2021 commit- Malevy Leons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Da Coach View Post

How will they split time between 5th year senior Mikey Howell who may be the steadiest ball handler who had a 2.1 assist/turnover ration this past season at UCSD, probably our best pure point guard and defensive player Terry Roberts, who also had a 2:1 assist/turnover ratio, Ville Tahvanainen, who I believe will rebound with a terrific shooting year, and the talented young group of Jayson Kent, Maxime Ekono, and Connor Hickman.
    1st world problems. amiright!
    Larry Bird
    I've got a theory that if you give 100 percent all of the time, somehow things will work out in the end.

Comment

Great PJ Star Article by Dave Eminian, updated with quotes from Coach Wardle, and From Malevy Leons, and more info about the schools who were recruiting him-

Leons was highly-sought in the recruiting chase. He was pursued by Missouri, Marquette, Wichita State, Vanderbilt, DePaul, South Carolina, Iona, Kent State and other prominent programs. Bradley, Wichita State and Missouri were his final three.

Comment

Both Max Ekono and Malevy Leons handle the ball and drive to the basket extremely well for big men.

Comment

Originally posted by BRAVE82 View Post
          Both Max Ekono and Malevy Leons handle the ball and drive to the basket extremely well for big men.
          I consider Ekono to be a point guard, a TALL point guard. He still needs to work on his handle against top competition but, if he continues to develop, I think he has the potential to become a really good player. It will be interesting to see how the staff chooses to develop him.
          The True Gentleman is the man whose conduct proceeds from good will and an acute sense of propriety, and whose self-control is equal to all emergencies... - John Walter Wayland

Comment

Originally posted by PhiAlphaBoy View Post

I consider Ekono to be a point guard, a TALL point guard. He still needs to work on his handle against top competition but, if he continues to develop, I think he has the potential to become a really good player. It will be interesting to see how the staff chooses to develop him.
            Agreed definitely looks like a pg

Comment

Yes, and Ja'Shon Henry will probably be a starter at the power forward spot and get around 25-30 minutes/game, if he can avoid fouls.
              It would be terrific if our other senior could return, but that may not be.
              The 2021-22 Bradley team still might be the deepest team since the mid-1980's teams.
              The coaches will have to try to find playing time for everyone, and that goes for the deep guard group.
              How will they split time between 5th year senior Mikey Howell who may be the steadiest ball handler who had a 2.1 assist/turnover ration this past season at UCSD, probably our best pure point guard and defensive player Terry Roberts, who also had a 2:1 assist/turnover ratio, Ville Tahvanainen, who I believe will rebound with a terrific shooting year, and the talented young group of Jayson Kent, Maxime Ekono, and Connor Hickman.
              I'm hopeful Henry works on his ball handling and can play the 3.

Comment

As of right now, 50% of the BU roster are non-US born players. Ekono, Boya, Ville, Henry, Mast and Leons. 6 of 12. All major contributors. BW and staff have done a great job with the foreign recruits.

Comment

Gotta be excited when you read something like this about Leon from a former coach:

"Malevy is the complete package," Mineral Area assistant coach Tim Walsh said. "He's goal-oriented, and nearly a 4.0 student, too, a true student-athlete.

"Bradley is getting a good player, but an even better kid."
                  Larry Bird
                  I've got a theory that if you give 100 percent all of the time, somehow things will work out in the end.

Comment

Originally posted by Tommy View Post
                    Gotta be excited when you read something like this about Leon from a former coach:

"Malevy is the complete package," Mineral Area assistant coach Tim Walsh said. "He's goal-oriented, and nearly a 4.0 student, too, a true student-athlete.

"Bradley is getting a good player, but an even better kid."
                    Bradley has been very high among Division 1 schools for grades and grade point averages. I wonder if that made a big impression on Levy what with him having a 4.0

Comment

A couple other tidbits from the Dave Eminian articles-

One reason Malevy Leons chose Bradley over a list of several impressive major college basketball programs "included the presence on the BU roster of forward and Netherlands countryman Rienk Mast, against whom Leons had competitive past battles in Europe."

Coach Wardle said "We've been following him, watching him, for years.".
                      So, our coaches have been following Leons since prior to his time at Mineral Area CC. They may have seen him in the course of recruiting and evaluating Rienk Mast.

And regarding the last open scholarship-
                      "We will probably wait until July to do anything with that spot," Wardle said. "We want to see how some things play out (in the transfer battles)."

Latest updated article from Dave Eminian-
                      https://www.pjstar.com/story/sports/...ey/4949520001/

Comment

Originally posted by egib52 View Post

I'm hopeful Henry works on his ball handling and can play the 3.
                        Henry made a significant improvement with his outside shot from one year to the next ,so I'm hopeful if he makes the same commitment to ballhandling that we'll see similar improvement this year.
                        The True Gentleman is the man whose conduct proceeds from good will and an acute sense of propriety, and whose self-control is equal to all emergencies... - John Walter Wayland

Comment

Originally posted by BU freak View Post
                          As of right now, 50% of the BU roster are non-US born players. Ekono, Boya, Ville, Henry, Mast and Leons. 6 of 12. All major contributors. BW and staff have done a great job with the foreign recruits.
                          One looks for talent where you can find them. International kids have a better work ethic than American kids. American kids are pampered and feel they are entitled to playing time instead of working to get better. Not all American kids but a larger percentage than in the past. Coach Wardle likes kids that work at getting better

Comment

As expected, Malevy Leons was named 1st team NJCAA All American today-

So he ends up sweeping virtually every major honor at the junior college level-
                            1st team All Conference
                            Conference Player of the Year
                            1st team All Region 16
                            Region 16 Player of the Year
                            NJCAA All-Tournament 1st team
                            NJCAA 1st Team All American

Comment

As expected, Malevy Leons was named 1st team NJCAA All American today-
                              https://www.njcaa.org/sports/mbkb/20...mericans/index

So he ends up sweeping virtually every major honor at the junior college level-
                              1st team All Conference
                              Conference Player of the Year
                              1st team All Region 16
                              Region 16 Player of the Year
                              NJCAA All-Tournament 1st team
                              NJCAA 1st Team All American
                              That is great news!! When is the last time Bradley had a first team All-American player at the JC level? David Thirdkill?

Comment

Originally posted by bradleyfan124 View Post

That is great news!! When is the last time Bradley had a first team All-American player at the JC level? David Thirdkill?
                                Marcellus Sommerville I believe.
                                BRADLEY BASKETBALL
                                -2 NCAA Title Games
                                -3 NCAA Elite Eights
                                -4 NCAA Sweet 16s
                                -4 NIT Championships

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget 6

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X