SIU lands 2020 juco big man

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SIU lands 2020 juco big man

SIU lost most of their team from the 2019-20 season, and Bryan Mullins is sitting on a bunch of open scholarships.
    Today he filled his need for depth inside. Last season, the only 2 true big men were grad-transfer Barret Benson who has no more eligibility, and junior college transfer Stevan Jeremic, who barely saw any playing time, and who has been reported by the SIU beat writer to be leaving SIU.

Today SIU got a commitment from 6'8", 235 pound forward J.D. Muila from Indian Hills CC-
    https://thesouthern.com/sports/college/salukimania/indian-hills-forward-commits-to-siu-men/article_5bcf9520-78b2-5616-91de-1edac906d93c.html

He is originally from Ottawa, Canada, and he averaged 6.5 ppg and 6.8 rpg in 21 games at Indian Hills. He missed part of the season after suffering a torn meniscus during the season. He will have two years of eligibility starting in 2020-21.
    This should help the Salukis' rebounding. SIU was the worst rebounding team in the MVC last season.
    http://www.espn.com/mens-college-bas...ounds/group/18

Not sure I understand what you mean by "SIU lost most of their team from the 2019-20 season." They had only two seniors, one of whom was out for most of the season, and Mullins brought in ten or so new players because there was almost no one left from 2018-19. Did most of them transfer out? I follow SIU hoops and I've heard nothing about this.
    My first BU hoops game was on 12/30/1963. My dad took me to watch the Braves defeat Arizona 67-59. He helped me get Coach Orsborn's autograph before the game.

Comment

Gone are Davis, Suggs, McGill, Cook, Francois, Gooch, Jeremic and Benson accounting for about 60% of their minutes & scoring

Comment

Originally posted by 64NIT View Post
        Not sure I understand what you mean by "SIU lost most of their team from the 2019-20 season." They had only two seniors, one of whom was out for most of the season, and Mullins brought in ten or so new players because there was almost no one left from 2018-19. Did most of them transfer out? I follow SIU hoops and I've heard nothing about this.
        They actually lost 8 players from their 2019-20 roster so far.
        They lost 3 seniors to graduation- Eric McGill, Barret Benson, and Ronnie Suggs.
        And they lost 5 more scholarship players to transfers-
        Aaron Cook who was a senior who redshirted due to injury has entered the transfer portal
        Brendan Gooch, who was another redshirt senior with 1 more season of eligibility also left as a grad-transfer
        Junior Harwin Francois transferred
        Redshirt freshman and Nebraska transfer Karrington Davis transferred
        Junior backup center Stevan Jeremic transferred

That leaves SIU with only 5 scholarship players- freshmen Marcus Domask, Trent Brown, Lance Jones, and redshirt sophomore transfer Ben Harvey, who sat out the 2019-20 season.
        They also have injured freshman Sekou Dembele, who is still on their roster, but his leg fracture in the game at Bradley was severe and it's not clear whether he will return. Plus, they have a walk-on junior Will Kellar.
        And now they have 3 recruits-
        high school point guards Eric Butler and Dalton Banks, and now this latest recruit, junior college transfer J.D. Muila.
        So Mullins has at least 5 more open scholarships (or 6 if Dembele isn't returning).

All the SIU departures, as well as all the departures and transfers for every MVC team are in this thread-

Comment

I really missed this. Mullins did a good job his first year, much better than expected. What was it that caused all the transfers?
          My first BU hoops game was on 12/30/1963. My dad took me to watch the Braves defeat Arizona 67-59. He helped me get Coach Orsborn's autograph before the game.

Comment

I really missed this. Mullins did a good job his first year, much better than expected. What was it that caused all the transfers?
            I agree. I think he did a terrific job this past season. He is a good coach, and will do OK if he can get better talent.
            I don't know why so many are leaving, but from my observations, Mullins seemed to play his favorites, mainly several of his own recruits- Barret Benson, Ronnie Suggs, Marcus Domask, Lance Jones, and Trent Brown a ton of minutes, and guys like Harwin Francois, Stephan Jeremic, Brendan Gooch, and Karrington Davis played little. Those four, plus grad-transfer Aaron Cook, who was a Barry Hinson recruit, are the ones leaving early. I suspect it was mutual with most if not all, as Mullins probably told them their playing time wouldn't increase much and he wanted their scholarships to try to recruit better players.
            The problem is, there aren't many better players this late in the recruiting cycle, so those guys might be hard to replace and he may find himself in the same situation next year with a bunch of recruits who didn't pan out.

Comment

Originally posted by Da Coach on 4/6/20 View Post
              Today SIU got a commitment from 6'8", 235 pound forward J.D. Muila from Indian Hills CC-
              https://thesouthern.com/sports/college/salukimania/indian-hills-forward-commits-to-siu-men/article_5bcf9520-78b2-5616-91de-1edac906d93c.html

He is originally from Ottawa, Canada, and he averaged 6.5 ppg and 6.8 rpg in 21 games at Indian Hills.
              I'm hearing that SIU coach Bryan Mullins is about to get a commitment from another Canadian big man.

Maybe this kid?-

Comment

New coaches seem to like their own recruits as DC said. An exception might be an assistant moving up. I agree Mullins did an exceptional job last year.

Comment

Originally posted by Da Coach View Post

I'm hearing that SIU coach Bryan Mullins is about to get a commitment from another Canadian big man.

Maybe this kid?-
                  This kid is ranked 14th out of how many? If there are several hundred in this list, then this kid is really good. If there are 20, well....

On the subject of Coach Mullins, last season was his first as a head coach anywhere. He had injuries to deal with. Yet, he ate the pre-season predictions for lunch. He finished at .500, overall, and won more than he lost in the Valley. I'm going out on a limb and say that, in a few years, assuming he sticks around, SIU will be back on the national scene and will become the Gonzaga of the Midwest.

Comment

This kid is ranked 14th out of how many? If there are several hundred in this list, then this kid is really good. If there are 20, well....

On the subject of Coach Mullins, last season was his first as a head coach anywhere. He had injuries to deal with. Yet, he ate the pre-season predictions for lunch. He finished at .500, overall, and won more than he lost in the Valley. I'm going out on a limb and say that, in a few years, assuming he sticks around, SIU will be back on the national scene and will become the Gonzaga of the Midwest.
                    Not unless BU leaves the Valley they won't.

They were .500 this year and lost in the first round of the tournament. They played good defense, but didn't show much on offense all year. Yeah, Mullins can probably coach, but I think you might want to actually give it some time before crowning them the Gonzaga of the Midwest. Especially considering the team that has won the Valley the last 2 years still has their coach, and let's not forget, BU's best player sat for 11 games this season along with a handful of games from other starters, as well. BU is the team to beat until further notice.
                    Larry Bird
                    I've got a theory that if you give 100 percent all of the time, somehow things will work out in the end.

Comment

Originally posted by Da Coach View Post

Maybe this kid?-
                      https://northpolehoops.com/players/l...med-coulibaly/
                      The other big man that SIU is hoping to land is a juco player; maybe this kid- Adong Makoui from Daytona State junior college

Comment

Originally posted by Tommy View Post

Not unless BU leaves the Valley they won't.

They were .500 this year and lost in the first round of the tournament. They played good defense, but didn't show much on offense all year. Yeah, Mullins can probably coach, but I think you might want to actually give it some time before crowning them the Gonzaga of the Midwest. Especially considering the team that has won the Valley the last 2 years still has their coach, and let's not forget, BU's best player sat for 11 games this season along with a handful of games from other starters, as well. BU is the team to beat until further notice.
                        I agree! I think Bradley will be the Gonzaga of the Midwest. However, I do think Mullins will turn the program into a good program again which I like. A stronger MVC makes all the teams better.

Comment

Can’t become the Gonzaga of the Midwest if we aren’t able to lock coach down for the rest of his career. I’d hope he likes it enough to stay here, but he seems to be a star head coach. We’d have to pay him like Wichita payed that jerk Marshall. It could happen but I’m prepared to be disappointed if it doesn’t.
                          Gotta stop feeding the trolls.

Comment

Originally posted by ihatetea View Post
                            We’d have to pay him like Wichita payed that jerk Marshall.
                            This made me LOL for real.
                            Larry Bird
                            I've got a theory that if you give 100 percent all of the time, somehow things will work out in the end.

Comment

Man! Gonzaga of the Midwest would sure make all of us fans pretty happy!

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget 6

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X