• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is Janet any relation to Joanne?

Comment

Originally posted by Da Coach View Post
      Is Janet any relation to Joanne?
      It must be her ugly twin sister or something. I'm not sure.
      Larry Bird
      I've got a theory that if you give 100 percent all of the time, somehow things will work out in the end.

Comment

One D1 head coach who many thought was on the "hot seat" this season was Dave Leitao of DePaul. But despite going just 3-15 in the Big East and finishing in last place for the 4th straight season, Leitao just got a contract extension through 2023-24 from DePaul. Leitao is a good guy and it's nice for him, but DePaul fans are not too happy with this.
        https://twitter.com/GoodmanHoops/sta...80556186619905

Note that the replies to this tweet are not so kind.
        Leitao’s influence at DePaul is mind blowing. This is his 2nd go round there and hasn’t won 20 games as a coach ANYWHERE since 2006-07. He has really ran DePaul into the ground this time. It’s almost as if he has something on them. I can’t figure it out.

Comment

Who is Janet Glasser? Former BU President was Joanne Glasser. I don’t know where she is. Anyone know where?

Comment

Originally posted by The Old Guy View Post
            .... Former BU President was Joanne Glasser. I don't know where she is. Anyone know where?

She is living in Owings Mills, Maryland (outside of Baltimore) and as far as I know, she remains retired.
            https://www.fastpeoplesearch.com/nam...wings-mills-md

Comment

Originally posted by The Old Guy View Post
              Who is Janet Glasser? Former BU President was Joanne Glasser. I don’t know where she is. Anyone know where?
              Hey Old Guy - I was talking about Joanne Glasser and Coach just busted me out with my slip up!
              I was just playing dumb after that (or was I playing?).
              Larry Bird
              I've got a theory that if you give 100 percent all of the time, somehow things will work out in the end.

Comment

Wake Forest just fired Danny Manning. He was 78-111 in 6 seasons, and had only 1 winning season overall, and no winning seasons in the ACC.

Manning's record at Wake Forest- https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb...s/wake-forest/

Comment

But Geez why wait until April 25 to fire him ?
                  houstonbrave

Comment

Originally posted by houstonbrave View Post
                    But Geez why wait until April 25 to fire him ?
                    That was my first thought. Apparently, their AD took 6 weeks to do a "comprehensive review".
                    Here is a clip from the article I posted the link to-

Wake Forest Athletics Director John Currie announced the decision to end Manning's tenure after six seasons on Saturday morning.
                    “After a comprehensive review of the men’s basketball program, and with the support of President (Nathan) Hatch and university leadership, I have determined that it is time for a change in our head coaching position,'' Currie said through a news release. “We thank Coach Manning, (wife) Julie and (son) Evan for their service to Wake Forest and for their commitment to our student-athletes and the Winston-Salem community over the past six years.”

I've read several articles suggesting possible candidates to replace Manning, and some seem to think former Michigan head coach (and recent Cleveland Cavaliers HC) John Beilein is the leading candidate.
                    Other names mentioned include-

Steve Forbes- Head Coach at East Tennessee State
                    Pat Kelsey - Head Coach at Winthrop
                    Thad Matta - Former head coach at Ohio State
                    Matt McMahon - Head Coach at Murray State
                    Wes Miller - Head Coach at UNC Greensboro
                    Ryan Odom - Head Coach at UMBC
                    Mark Prosser - Head Coach at Western Carolina
                    Bob Richey - Head Coach at Furman
                    Russell Turner - Head Coach at UC Irvine

Comment

That was my first thought. Apparently, their AD took 6 weeks to do a "comprehensive review".
                      Here is a clip from the article I posted the link to-

Wake Forest Athletics Director John Currie announced the decision to end Manning's tenure after six seasons on Saturday morning.
                      “After a comprehensive review of the men’s basketball program, and with the support of President (Nathan) Hatch and university leadership, I have determined that it is time for a change in our head coaching position,'' Currie said through a news release. “We thank Coach Manning, (wife) Julie and (son) Evan for their service to Wake Forest and for their commitment to our student-athletes and the Winston-Salem community over the past six years.”

I've read several articles suggesting possible candidates to replace Manning, and some seem to think former Michigan head coach (and recent Cleveland Cavaliers HC) John Beilein is the leading candidate.
                      Other names mentioned include-

Steve Forbes- Head Coach at East Tennessee State
                      Pat Kelsey - Head Coach at Winthrop
                      Thad Matta - Former head coach at Ohio State
                      Matt McMahon - Head Coach at Murray State
                      Wes Miller - Head Coach at UNC Greensboro
                      Ryan Odom - Head Coach at UMBC
                      Mark Prosser - Head Coach at Western Carolina
                      Bob Richey - Head Coach at Furman
                      Russell Turner - Head Coach at UC Irvine
                      Assuming he doesn't want a king's ransom, if I were them I would hire Beilein immediately. He knows how to win in college (and most importantly evaluate talent), and would make them a force in the ACC.

Comment

Does anyone else get nervous when nearby Power 5 jobs come open? I’m hearing Chris Collins could be In the mix at Wake. That leaves a Big Ten job open close to where Coach W is from. Maybe I’m just paranoid. Do you guys connect these conspiracy dots or is it just me. Love to know your thoughts. Lol!

Comment

Originally posted by patrick_o'brian View Post
                          Does anyone else get nervous when nearby Power 5 jobs come open? I’m hearing Chris Collins could be In the mix at Wake. That leaves a Big Ten job open close to where Coach W is from. Maybe I’m just paranoid. Do you guys connect these conspiracy dots or is it just me. Love to know your thoughts. Lol!
                          Yes, because a lot of those get filled by successful mid-major coaches, and the Wake Forest job might be, too.
                          I delved into the background of the Wake Forest AD to see if he had any past ties to the Midwest or to Brian Wardle. Thankfully, he doesn't. I think we're quite safe with this Wake Forest opening. However, the domino effect could kick in if they hire a head coach from another school, then it will lead to another opening(s).

I have seen Chris Collins' name mentioned, but I can't see that happening. Collins is 109-119 at Northwestern in 7 seasons, and a horrendous 43-87 record in the BIg Ten. He has only had 1 winning Big Ten season out of 7, and is coming off his worst season yet with a 8-23 record and 3-17 in the BIg Ten.

Maybe a more worrisome "connect the dots" scenario might be if Wake Forest hired the Marquette Head Coach Steve Wociechowski. He is from the East Coast, played at Duke, just a few miles from the WFU campus in Winston-Salem, and he has had far more success at Marquette than Collins has had at Northwestern. Wojo has had 5 winning seasons in row in the Big East, which is the top conference in the country. And he has recruited and developed a 1st team All-American and national scoring leader at Marquette, Markus Howard.
                          But, I actually think it is very unlikely Wake will go after Wojciechowski. So far, he has not been mentioned by anyone as a candidate.

Jeff Goodman reports that the leading 2 candidates are UNC Greensboro's Wes Miller and East Tennessee State's Steve Forbes-
                          https://thespun.com/acc/wake-forest/...-miller-forbes

It is being reported that John Beilein is not a candidate.
                          https://www.si.com/nba/cavaliers/nba...te-wake-forest

Comment

Yes, because a lot of those get filled by successful mid-major coaches, and the Wake Forest job might be, too.
                            I delved into the background of the Wake Forest AD to see if he had any past ties to the Midwest or to Brian Wardle. Thankfully, he doesn't. I think we're quite safe with this Wake Forest opening. However, the domino effect could kick in if they hire a head coach from another school, then it will lead to another opening(s).

I have seen Chris Collins' name mentioned, but I can't see that happening. Collins is 109-119 at Northwestern in 7 seasons, and a horrendous 43-87 record in the BIg Ten. He has only had 1 winning Big Ten season out of 7, and is coming off his worst season yet with a 8-23 record and 3-17 in the BIg Ten.

Maybe a more worrisome "connect the dots" scenario might be if Wake Forest hired the Marquette Head Coach Steve Wociechowski. He is from the East Coast, played at Duke, just a few miles from the WFU campus in Winston-Salem, and he has had far more success at Marquette than Collins has had at Northwestern. Wojo has had 5 winning seasons in row in the Big East, which is the top conference in the country. And he has recruited and developed a 1st team All-American and national scoring leader at Marquette, Markus Howard.
                            But, I actually think it is very unlikely Wake will go after Wojciechowski. So far, he has not been mentioned by anyone as a candidate.

Jeff Goodman reports that the leading 2 candidates are UNC Greensboro's Wes Miller and East Tennessee State's Steve Forbes-
                            https://thespun.com/acc/wake-forest/...-miller-forbes

It is being reported that John Beilein is not a candidate.
                            https://www.si.com/nba/cavaliers/nba...te-wake-forest
                            If Wojo gets hired away I won’t be able to sleep!

Comment

Wake Forest has moved quickly to hire East Tennessee State's Steve Forbes.
                              https://www.journalnow.com/sports/co...90004747b.html

East Tennessee State has named Assistant Coach Jason Shay as their Interim Head Coach-
                              https://www.etsubucs.com/athletics/s...38/jason-shay/

Here is Steve Forbes' record at East Tennessee State. ETSU was 30-4 this past season, and Forbes has averaged 26 wins per year in his 5 seasons there.
                              Check out the East Tennessee State Buccaneers College Basketball History, Stats, Records, Polls, Leaders and More College Basketball Stats at Sports-Reference.com

Forbes is a former assistant at Illinois State under Porter Moser, and at Wichita State under Gregg Marshall.
                              He also spent 6 years as an assistant at Tennessee under Bruce Pearl, and was fired along with Pearl in 2011 during an NCAA investigation involving blatant illegal recruiting activities by Pearl. Pearl later admitted to lying to the NCAA after photos surfaced showing him entertaining an underclass recruit at a barbeque party at his home, an NCAA violation. Forbes was also implicated in those violations at Tennessee, and in addition to being fired, he served a 1-year "show cause" penalty and was banned from college basketball.

Comment

East Tennessee State has named Assistant Coach Jason Shay as their Interim Head Coach-
                                https://www.etsubucs.com/athletics/s...38/jason-shay/
                                Jason Shay is from Galesburg. https://www.galesburg.com/sports/202...-end-to-season

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget 6

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X