Collapse

New Coaching Carousel for 2018-19

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There is a report that Siena will promote assistant Carmen Maciariello to head coach

Comment

This guy is predicting Dan Muller to be the next coach at Vanderbilt....
      https://twitter.com/isaacfromCT/stat...31594814685184

btw- remember when they hired Dan Muller - many said that Tim Jankovich was going to be the next superstar
      head coach and make SMU a perennial power. Well, once all Larry Brown's players were gone, Jank is under .500
      and only 6-12 in their conference....

added - Cal fires Wyking Jones - that makes 6 Power Conference positions (Alabama, Cal, Texas A&M, UCLA, Vanderbilt & Washington State)
      .and 3 other prime mid-majors (Temple, Tulane & UNLV) that could be a lure for MVC coaches...
      Last edited by tornado; 03-24-2019, 04:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tornado View Post
        This guy is predicting Dan Muller to be the next coach at Vanderbilt....
        https://twitter.com/isaacfromCT/stat...31594814685184

btw- remember when they hired Dan Muller - many said that Tim Jankovich was going to be the next superstar
        head coach and make SMU a perennial power. Well, once all Larry Brown's players were gone, Jank is under .500
        and only 6-12 in their conference....

added - Cal fires Wyking Jones - that makes 6 Power Conference positions (Alabama, Cal, Texas A&M, UCLA, Vanderbilt & Washington State)
        .and 3 other prime mid-majors (Temple, Tulane & UNLV) that could be a lure for MVC coaches...
        Muller might be on Vanderbilt's list of considerations, but I am not convinced the guy whose twitter you linked to knows what he is talking about. He is from Connecticut, and doesn't appear to have any connection to Vanderbilt, or to Dan Muller.b
        Vandy has the big money from their conference's football revenue, so they can afford to go after almost anyone. I can't believe they would go after a guy like Muller, who has not won a single regular season outright, and has not won a single MVC Tournament and never made a single NCAA Tournament as a head coach. He was an assistant at Vanderbilt under Kevin Stallings, who was not very successful there his final few years before he stabbed the program in the back and bolted for Pittsburgh, where he was an utter failure. Stallings was run out of Pitt with the worst coaching record in the school's history, and is still looking for another job. Heck, Vanderbilt might even consider Stallings before they'd consider Muller, but the smart money says Vanderbilt won't want to revists the past with either of them.
        Here are a couple articles with thoughts on who the next head coach at Vandy might be-
        https://vanderbilthustler.com/22813/...ching-vacancy/

Note that one of the top possibilities that writer lists is Becky Hammon, currently an assistant coach with the San Antonio Spurs. She is reportedly a bright young coach, but the impediment Vandy might face is can she recruit major college talent, and if she isn't successful fast enough, it might be very difficult for them to fire her without a major backlash. All the others listed seem like good potential head coaches for them.
        Some other possible candidates-
        https://watchstadium.com/news/search...ch-03-24-2019/

And I have heard that one candidate Cal will consider is Jim Les of UC Davis, as well as Russell Turner of UC Irvine. Les probably isn't likely to be near the top of their list since UCD is coming off a rebuilding season, while Turner is still coaching UC Irvine in the 2nd round of the NCAA Tournament tonight against Oregon.
        But there are reports that some at Cal want ex-Cal star Jason Kidd as the next head coach. He has no college coaching experience, but did coach the Brooklyn Nets for one season and the Milwaukee Bucks for 3½ seasons.

Comment

Originally posted by Da Coach View Post
          But there are reports that some at Cal want ex-Cal star Jason Kidd as the next head coach. He has no college coaching experience, but did coach the Brooklyn Nets for one season and the Milwaukee Bucks for 3½ seasons.
          Jason Kidd is not quite so likely in view of the fact that he spent only 2 years at Cal, and never graduated.
          He reportedly "has a ways to go to get his degree".

Comment

Siena hires assistant coach Carmen Maciariello to fill their open head coaching position.
            Siena Basketball alumnus Carmen Maciariello '01 has been named the 18th head coach in Siena Men's Basketball history. The native of nearby Clifton Park, New York recently completed his first season as an assistant coach in his second stint on the Siena Basketball staff.

Comment

Jeff Goodman reports that Stony Brook will end their search and give the spot for now to Geno Ford
              ..I say we try to get Stony Brook for a 2:for:1

Stony Brook has 20 or more wins in 6 of their last 9 seasons
              they are 191-115 in that 9-year span
              they have averaged 21 wins/year since 2009
              they have gone to the NCAA and the NIT three times in that 9-year span
              they have played in a post-season tournament 7 of those 9 years
              they have never finished lower than 5th in the past 9 seasons and only twice lower than 2nd

Geno Ford never won more than 18 games at Bradley
              he was 46-86 in that span, 19-53 in the MVC
              he has never gotten a team to the NCAA, had just one CIT appearance at Bradley
              Geno is already starting out p0-1 at Stony Brook - after Jeff Boals went 24-8 this year at Stony Brook, then he left
              ...and Geno coached them in their game in the CBI - they lost to South Florida so Geno is already 0-1 there.
              Time will tell - but I think they might end up disappointed....

btw - article in Las Vegas Sun promoting the idea of hiring porter Moser at UNLV
              We know that UNLV is open to hiring an established coach with a Final Four resumé, as athletic director Desiree Reed-Francois said she wants a face of the program who can stand next to Jon Gruden and Gerard Gallant in terms of star power ...

Comment

Originally posted by tornado View Post
                Stony Brook has 20 or more wins in 6 of their last 9 seasons
                they have averaged 21 wins/year since 2009

https://lasvegassun.com/news/2019/ma...orter-moser-r/
                Stony Brook will never see 20 wins again.
                Larry Bird
                I've got a theory that if you give 100 percent all of the time, somehow things will work out in the end.

Comment

Mississippi Valley State fires Andre Payne

Arkansas - Mike Anderson fired - OPEN
                  Alabama - Avery Johnson fired - OPEN
                  Appalachian State - Jim Fox fired - OPEN
                  BYU - Dave Rose steps down - OPEN
                  Cal - Wyking Jones fired - OPEN
                  Cal Poly - Joe Callero fired - John Smith HIRED
                  Elon - Matt Matheny fired - OPEN
                  Fairfield - Sydney Johnson fired - OPEN
                  George Washington - Maurice Joseph fired - Jamion Christian HIRED
                  Georgia State - Ron Hunter left for Tulane - OPEN
                  Idaho State - Bill Evans fired - OPEN

Kennesaw State - Al Skinner will step down - OPEN
                  Mercer - Bob Hoffman fired - Greg Gary to be HIRED
                  Mississippi Valley State - Andre Payne fired - OPEN
                  Montana State - Brian Fish fired - OPEN
                  Morgan State - Todd Bozeman fired - OPEN
                  Nebraska - Tim Miles fired - OPEN
                  Niagara - Chris Casey fired - OPEN
                  Ohio - Saul Phillips fired - Jeff Boals HIRED

St. Joseph's - Phil Martelli out - OPEN
                  San Francisco - Kyle Smith left for Washington State - Todd Golden to be HIRED
                  Siena - Jamion Christian leaves for George Washington - Carmen Maciariello HIRED
                  SIU - Barry Hinson gone -Bryan Mullins reportedly HIRED
                  SIUE - Jon Harris fired - Brian Barone to be HIRED
                  South Dakota State - TJ Oetzelberger left for UNLV - OPEN
                  Stetson - Corey Williams fired - OPEN
                  Stony Brook - Jeff Boals left to take Ohio - Geno Ford HIRED
                  Temple - Fran Dunphy already announced would step down at end of 2018-19 - Aaron McKie will be HIRED
                  Tennessee Tech - Steve Payne FIRED - OPEN
                  Texas A&M - Billy Kennedy FIRED - OPEN
                  Troy - Phil Cunningham fired - Scott Cross HIRED

Tulane - Mike Dunleavy fired - Ron Hunter HIRED

UCLA - Steve Alford FIRED in December - Murry Bartow is Interim Coach
                  UMES - has an interim coach, Clifford Reed but they are 5-24 - pending
                  UMKC - Kareem Richardson fired - Billy Donlon HIRED
                  UNLV - Marvin Menzies fired - OPEN - TJ Oetzelberger to be HIRED
                  Vanderbilt - Bryce Drew fired - OPEN
                  Washington State - Ernie Kent fired - Kyle Smith reported to be HIRED
                  William & Mary - Tony Shaver fired - OPEN

39 jobs opened, 23 still remain open
                  Last edited by tornado; 03-27-2019, 11:23 AM.

Comment

BYU head coach Dave Rose has scheduled a press conference this afternoon, reportedly to announce his retirement.

Comment

Originally posted by Tommy View Post

Stony Brook will never see 20 wins again.
                      I will never understand the Geno hate. He is an incredibly nice guy. I truly thought he put in the effort to be successful. He was very successful at Kent State, but things didn't fall for him right here. Maybe being in a smaller conference will be great for him. Maybe getting full reign over his program will allow him to find the success he had at Kent State. I hope he does well.

Comment

Geno is indeed a nice guy. However, he is and always will be, tainted by the JG and MC regime under which he was hired. His record at Bradley, the overall quality of his recruits and the way PJS journalists swooned over him and the program contribute greatly to many Bradley fans distaste for Geno. I believe most of us wish him well while at the same time are overjoyed he is gone. Regarding his work ethic, I have it first hand, from a former assistant coach we all respect, Geno was not a hard worker and did not put in the effort to be successful.

Comment

Ha - yes, Geno did have a passion for winning but it was not the kind of winning we Bradley fans wanted -

one news note - Troy hires Scott Cross

Comment

Tim Miles out at Nebraska. Fred Hoiberg rumored to be the Huskers choice to succeed.

Comment

Idaho State fires Bill Evans
                              Cal Poly said to be hiring Fullerton asst John Smith
                              Billy Donlon to UMKC
                              Arkansas fires Mike Anderson
                              Last edited by tornado; 03-26-2019, 04:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by egib52 View Post

I will never understand the Geno hate. He is an incredibly nice guy. I truly thought he put in the effort to be successful. He was very successful at Kent State, but things didn't fall for him right here. Maybe being in a smaller conference will be great for him. Maybe getting full reign over his program will allow him to find the success he had at Kent State. I hope he does well.
                                Let’s just say we disagree. I don’t know him personally, so I’ve got no opinion on him in that aspect. What is my problem with him? He played a large part in the dismantling of the BU basketball program we all love.
                                I kept my season tickets throughout the Geno years and watched (every miserable game) our team get progressively worse each year. From the one man offense of Walt Lemon to the no defense and inability to inbound against the press. Yes, I am happy to see Geno gone and have no confidence in his ability to coach. Guy is a millionaire thanks to BU so I don’t think we need to feel too sorry for him, and criticism comes with being in the public eye.
                                Maybe he’ll prove me wrong and Stony Brook will win 20 games, but I doubt it. Even if they do, my money is on that program getting worse each year that he is the head coach.
                                So no, I don’t hate Geno Ford. I’m just REALLY glad he’s not our coach anymore.
                                Larry Bird
                                I've got a theory that if you give 100 percent all of the time, somehow things will work out in the end.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget 6

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X