2018 Valley recruits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by mvcfan View Post
    Up to this point this year how many Bradley players have transfered compared to ISU? Also your point about others recruiting for Dan is funny. Its funny how ISU has been able to stay so competitive with that swinging door. Maybe Bradley should grease their hinges.
    That is funny. Love how when Dan beats out schools for a player they suddenly get a lot worse, or he is picking up somebody else's scraps, or their school really didn't want them after all, or all of their other offers were garbage, or that kid is a troublemaker when 1 day ago they were great.....blah, blah, blah.

My Aces are sort of saying this about Boyd now on their message board, but it's the nature of the beast. We all get so close to the teams we cheer for that we can't possible believe another school is a better fit for a player. We are all guilty of it...admit it.

I'm sure most coaches in the Valley are jealous of ISU's seemingly deep roster. Will be interesting to see how Dan balances it.
    Cheering with pep and vim for the white and purple!

Comment

• Bradley's had a couple and I'd be the first to admit they have not helped us!

but - there's no comparison, ISU recruits so many more transfers - plus they are noted to be pursuing numerous others that they don't get - compared to any other team in the MVC.

And unless you ignore the obvious, for every one that helps you like Yarbrough - there's a couple of disasters...

Jerron Martin was a disaster, a chemistry-wrecker and you were better off after he was booted
      Quintin Brewer - another disaster who still has felonies working their way thru the McLean County courts
      ..Romine, Clayton, Banyard, Ransom, Middlebrooks, Allen..all were either arrest nightmares or pretty much wasted scholarships..
      ..anyway - all those transfers could arguably be credited with getting ISU to the upper half of the Valley, but have they won anything substantial yet to outweigh all the legal nightmares, arrest warrants and negative publicity

Hey, in the Geno era if you wanna go back 5-6 years, we did have a lot of unproductive jucos who liked to frequent Big Al's but that's part of what sunk our program and drove fans away..just telling you like it is...

but despite all those headaches the transfers have brought upon ISU, I'll give you this...
      the ISU fanbase and your supportive media seem to look the other way and aren't bothered much by it...
      BUT- all those arrests & crime-blotter headlines would never go over here...
      The fans have standards and would be appalled plus if the local press found out about even the tiniest issue with one of the team managers - it would be lights out with daily "renegade" articles (exception, however seemed to occur during their beloved Geno-era).
      I the 3+ years since Geno left, not a single Bradley player has even had a jaywalking citation, so the local media has to scramble to find some last-place cross county finisher or a Rivermen brawl to write about ( )
      And, yes, I know that any day it could happen here and one tiny incident gets all the ISU fans making comparisons and claiming we were wrong..
      but seriously mvc, it would take a decade or more of 10 times worse than anything that's happened here in the past 40 years. We've never had a DUI or a robbery or players dealing drugs out of their dorm room, or rape or multiple felonies...like I said, our fan base would stand up strong against such unlike your fanbase who seems to covet the wins sufficiently that they don't care what happens down at the courthouse.

Comment

• My comment was about the ridiculousness of the statement that "Dan let's others recruit for him" and how much worse players get when the school that you (the larger you, not just you) cheer for gets beat out for a recruit, but thanks.

Anybody who posts on a message board is guilty of this at times, including me. Anybody who says they are not is not being honest with themselves. It's the nature of being a fan.

Oh and "my fanbase" would be Evansville. I go to ISU games because I live closer to Bloomington-Normal than any other D1 school.

Evansville fan at heart.......ISU follower by proximity.
        Last edited by PurpleAceFan; 04-24-2018, 07:51 AM. Reason: Added additional comment

Comment

• Boyd is a nice player. Heck, we acknowledged that Bradley coaches were interested in him, though I am not sure how far that interest went since he never visited Bradley to my knowledge. But I don't get all the celebrating about a kid who shot 35% from the floor, and just 28% from three. Let's face it, shooting guards who shoot 35% overall & 28% from three are not hard to find.
          Plus, he has to sit out a year, so he won't be any help next season trying to replace all the players who left and instead will instead join an ISU team in 2019-20 after Yarbrough, Fayne, Evans, and Tinsley (ISU's top 4 returning scorers and rebounders) have graduated.

And I will give credit to Dan Muller for recruiting decent talent and for his success on the court.
          However, his tolerance of lawbreakers and his lack of discipline are notable, even if nobody in BN cares. If a coach ever had the massive number of kids with arrests, citations, DUI's, drug arrests, theft charges, domestic abuse, etc. every year that seem to be tolerated and ignored at ISU, he would not last long as a head coach at Bradley or anywhere else. The ISU administration, the BloNo media, and the fans who care more about chasing that elusive NCAA bid really help by ignoring or covering up all the arrests and player discipline issues that have been so prevalent under Muller.

Comment

• Recruiting in this era is peculiar. Hopefully everyone ends up where they want to be.
            Dinma Odiakosa 6'8 255......The Nigerian Nightmare!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 37 points and 27 boards in 2 wins over Bradley. "Will Egolf is 6'9 and he had 4 rebounds. That's not good enough and he's not good enough"....Dick Versace 2/9/10

Comment

• Originally posted by PurpleAceFan View Post
              gets beat out for a recruit, but thanks.
              Do you know Bradley offered? Word is we didn't offer, so that's not getting "beat out."

Good luck to the kid, but we need guys who can make shots. Should have a strong front court going forward and need good outside shooters to keep defenses honest.
              BRADLEY BASKETBALL
              -2 NCAA Title Games
              -3 NCAA Elite Eights
              -4 NCAA Sweet 16s
              -4 NIT Championships

Comment

• Originally posted by Da Coach View Post
                Illinois State lands 2 transfers ..
                Jaycee Hillsman, a 6'6" shooting guard from San Jose State ...
                Jaycee Hillsman was a Bradley recruit & being discussed here long before ISU ever got involved

Hillsman comes from San Jose State- who just cleaned house & hired a new coach last year, then promptly went 4-26 and only 1-17 in the MWC for a last place finish...
                Few of their games were even very competitive, and they got swept out of their conference tourney right away.
                Hillsman has started since his freshman year but is not that prolific of a scorer...
                his career numbers are - 6.7 ppg & 30% shooting from 3-pt, 39.7% FG shooting overall plus 2.7 rebs/game - kind of surprisingly low for a 6-6 guard.
                San Jose State was not good, but they did have a very good big wing player, Ryan Welage (18 ppg & 43% from 3-pt) who drew the doubleteams.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mikovio View Post
                  Do you know Bradley offered? Word is we didn't offer, so that's not getting "beat out."

Good luck to the kid, but we need guys who can make shots. Should have a strong front court going forward and need good outside shooters to keep defenses honest.
                  My friend in the Evansville Athletic Department who talked to Boyd directly said that he told him that he had offers from Bradley and Evansville at that point, but was visiting ISU before he made a decision.

I would agree that Bradley is woefully lacking in shooters right now (my Aces are too), but players who can make their own shot or drive and dish are pretty important to help the shooters get open looks.

Comment

• Originally posted by PurpleAceFan View Post
                    My friend in the Evansville Athletic Department who talked to Boyd directly said that he told him that he had offers from Bradley and Evansville at that point, but was visiting ISU before he made a decision.

I would agree that Bradley is woefully lacking in shooters right now (my Aces are too), but players who can make their own shot or drive and dish are pretty important to help the shooters get open looks.
                    I admit I didn't see him play at all this past season, but is Boyd a player who gets to the basket a lot or drives and dishes a lot? His highlight videos and stats don't appear to show a lot of that. Most of what his highlight videos show is perimeter shooting. And he is a scorer who takes a lot of shots, and I am not trying to find fault with his game, but his stats show that he shoots only 40% on 2-point shots (70-173), and 35% overall. That is not real good. And it suggests he isn't getting a lot of layups or if he is, he isn't making many of them. He also attempted only a little over 3 free throws per game, which is highly unusual if he was dribble-driving to the basket much.
                    And he only averaged 2.0 assists per game, not typical for someone who "drives and dishes" much.

Comment

• but kids transferring in probably have far higher expectations to be played a lot right away, than incoming freshmen....

but it takes a while for an incoming kid to learn the system and fully deserve that playing time - so there's a natural tendency to be unhappy if you only have a year or two left and have taken the huge step of transferring away from where you were getting 30 minutes per game - only to find you get less...

What happened with Jerron Martin this year at ISU?
                      What happened Jojo McGlaston here this year?
                      What happened Kale Abrahamson at Drake?
                      ? Nick Banyard at ISU?
                      ? Grant Prusator at Indiana State, and maybe Alex Foster here, Christian Romine at ISU...

but another issue that will present...
                      the players currently on ISU's roster who played a bunch, guys like Bruninga, Clarance, Gassman, or are hoping they will like Chastain...they will be the next round of disgruntled guys who will up & leave....but then, maybe that's exactly what Muller is trying to do...

also...
                      Originally posted by Da Coach View Post
                      ...Kendle Moore announced tonight that he is decommitting from Drake and reopening his recruitment.....
                      as expected, Kendle Moore - after he decommitted from Drake when the coach left, has now committed to Colorado State and is following Niko Medved there
                      ..watch to see if Messiah Jones does the same

Comment

• what happened to all the talk about how Loyola's run would translate into a massive boost in recruiting prowess?

since their Final Four the only things that have happened are....

-three players have transferred out...(Satterwaite, Avery, Smith), one of whom, Satterwaite, looked to be a key returnee- possibly a starting spot...
                        -they landed one DII transfer who has to sit out a year (Tate Hall)
                        -they landed a completely unknown kid as a walk-on, Will Adcock
                        -and Loyola also struck out completely on several recent high profile transfers and recruits that they reportedly had as high priorities like Prentiss Nixon & Kawanise Wilkins...so they, too are sitting on multiple open scholarships with the recruiting market getting towards the bottom of the barrel.

Comment

• Originally posted by tornado View Post
                          what happened to all the talk about how Loyola's run would translate into a massive boost in recruiting prowess?

since their Final Four the only things that have happened are....

-three players have transferred out...(Satterwaite, Avery, Smith), one of whom, Satterwaite, looked to be a key returnee- possibly a starting spot...
                          -they landed one DII transfer who has to sit out a year (Tate Hall)
                          -they landed a completely unknown kid as a walk-on, Will Adcock
                          -and Loyola also struck out completely on several recent high profile transfers and recruits that they reportedly had as high priorities like Prentiss Nixon & Kawanise Wilkins...so they, too are sitting on multiple open scholarships with the recruiting market getting towards the bottom of the barrel.
                          I agree that they didn't appear to win any of the key battles. I did really wonder though how they were going to take advantage of this as they had a lot going against them. When you look at facilities and compare the Gentile Center to others it's pretty hard for them to match up. Also, except for their last home game of the year against ISU their attendance was just not good. I loved all the shots during they tourney of the students being so excited, when if you went to any game their year their student section was basically non-existent. My prediction is that you'll have more of a George Mason situation here than a Butler one.

Comment

• now there are reliable reports that ISU is pursuing yet another transfer...
                            Prince Oduro from Siena

He is a freshman big man, 6-8 who averaged 9 ppg, 5 rpg but hit an astoundingly low pct from the free throw line - 41-123, 33%
                            But, where are they getting all these scholarships from? - they must be expecting someone else to get booted...

Comment

• Valparaiso has added a walk-on for next year's team- Langston Stalling.
                              He is a 6'4" guard from Bowman Academy in Gary, Indiana. He was Honorable Mention All State in Indiana this year. He was his high school's valedictorian and will attend Evansville on a full academic scholarship.
                              video, sharing, camera phone, video phone, free, upload

Comment

• Stalling is a two sport athlete - also is an outstanding left handed pitcher
                                ...no word on whether he might also try baseball at Valpo.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget 6

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X