Go Back   BradleyFans.com Forums > Sports Forums > Basketball Fan talk

Old 01-24-2018, 12:47 AM

Anyone else feel like we make opponents look bad when playing at Carver?
We definitely don't let teams get into much of a rhythm.

Loved watching the game tonight - great effort. We play with tons of confidence, and the combo of Donte and Elijah has been incredible lately.

When is the last time BU was 15-7? Is that about where we were in 2006-'07 for our NIT team?
Old 01-24-2018, 04:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatetea View Post
... he is stuck in a very low usage role. ....
Church just has never been really offensive-minded - I think his main roles are grab rebounds & get the ball to Alize Johnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBrave View Post
Anyone else feel like we make opponents look bad when playing at Carver?...
The crowd was really good & loud when they needed to be...but about 1000 smaller than Saturday night. We need to get more Saturday night games!!

I know Missouri State had a couple players out with injury but one thing puzzled me...
They have a kid named Ross Owens, a walk-on sophomore, who had only appeared in 7 games all season.... and had only played a total of 32 minutes in 21 games
And none of their guards were missing last night so they weren't desperate for manpower on the wing...and yet
Owens came into the game early and played a lot - 21 minutes - as much or more than a couple of their guards who have started this season.
In the end Alize Johnson didn't foul out - he played the entire 2nd half without a foul so they sure helped us out by keeping him on the bench.
Old 01-24-2018, 07:47 AM

Game story from BradleyBraves.com-
http://www.bubraves.com/news/2018/1/...ate-72-52.aspx
Old 01-24-2018, 11:39 AM

There was an NBA scout sitting one row in front of our seats evaluating Johnson last night. After Johnson picked up his third foul in the first half, he closed his note books. I stated to him that he was done taking any more notes. He just smiled back.
I thought that Wardle did a god job getting the team ready for the second half. It was disappointing in how our team finished the first half and lost our momentum. I was very encouraged by our teamís toughness and play in the second half
Old 01-24-2018, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBrave View Post
Anyone else feel like we make opponents look bad when playing at Carver?
We definitely don't let teams get into much of a rhythm.

Loved watching the game tonight - great effort. We play with tons of confidence, and the combo of Donte and Elijah has been incredible lately.

When is the last time BU was 15-7? Is that about where we were in 2006-'07 for our NIT team?
Great post! I was at the game. I was worried about a lull starting 2nd half. We pulled away! If we can just translate this confidence to our next road game!!!
Old 01-24-2018, 12:31 PM

Note that the Bradley-Missouri State game is being re-broadcast on NBCSports Chicago Plus station at 1:00 PM today (Wed. 1/24)
Old 01-24-2018, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Coach View Post
Note that the Bradley-Missouri State game is being re-broadcast on NBCSports Chicago Plus station at 1:00 PM today (Wed. 1/24)
watching it... Ray Giacoletti (ex-Drake coach, for those who don't know) - doing the color commentary - is remarkably good- discussing details of the game, the mechanisms of setting screens, the different defenses, boxing out, etc...

somebody needs to hire him full time
Old 01-24-2018, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tornado View Post
watching it... Ray Giacoletti (ex-Drake coach, for those who don't know) - doing the color commentary - is remarkably good- discussing details of the game, the mechanisms of setting screens, the different defenses, boxing out, etc...

somebody needs to hire him full time
I only got to hear it for a short time last night, who did pbp?
Old 01-24-2018, 04:23 PM

Tom Ackerman

one more thing...just wanted to say how thankful I am that the Bradley Board pulled the trigger in 2015, cleaned house and set us on the right path...

We all recall what happened back in 2011 thru 2015 constant blowout losses, even at home, including this 39 point loss..

I am happy we are not being embarrassed on our own home court any more...
Bradley basketball is not all the way back until we can win the road games consistently, too......but, as a lifelong Bradley fan, this is a feeling that I have not experienced in 6-8 years!
Old 01-25-2018, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by egib52 View Post
I only got to hear it for a short time last night, who did pbp?
The pbp was by Tom Ackerman.
Old 01-26-2018, 01:53 PM

They were the Missouri State crew. Why would Chicago use the MS crew rather than the BU crew? I must admit they were better than the BU guys, but I still question why they were used. Perhaps this was a MV decision. Just wondering.
Old 01-26-2018, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by California Alum View Post
They were the Missouri State crew. Why would Chicago use the MS crew rather than the BU crew? I must admit they were better than the BU guys, but I still question why they were used. Perhaps this was a MV decision. Just wondering.
I don't know the reason. I enjoyed these guys. Ex Drake coach was personable and seemed to clearly know the game. Ackerman was a professional and did a good job too. Better than BU crew .
Old 01-26-2018, 08:10 PM

Looks like there is still some controversy at Missouri State regarding the 2 players who sustained injuries (reportedly foot blisters) from the team cryotherapy session. The University administration has launched an investigating into the bizarre whole-body cryotherapy sessions. Apparently they were done after one of the basketball strength and conditioning trainers who brought in an outside private company that provides the treatments. The athletic director says he was not aware in advance of this treatment, and that they will not be doing it again. Every member of the men's basketball team went through the treatments, as well as some of the members of the women's basketball team.

This article from the Springfield News-Leader in very interesting and worth the read. It basically says what we posted earlier this week, that there is really no scientific basis for many of the claims of benefits that are made by the people doing these unproven and potentially harmful treatments.
The 2 injured players are still recovering, though one of them had more serious injuries than the other.

MSU administration investigating cryotherapy treatment that injured 2 athletes
http://www.news-leader.com/story/spo...es/1070594001/

Video interview with Missouri State Athletic Director Kyle Moats. He seems really vague and uncomfortable answering the reporters' questions-
http://www.news-leader.com/videos/sp...ent/109849440/
Old 01-26-2018, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfcmsh View Post
I don't know the reason. I enjoyed these guys. Ex Drake coach was personable and seemed to clearly know the game. Ackerman was a professional and did a good job too. Better than BU crew .
Who is the BU crew? Haven/t seen a game they televised yet.
Old 01-26-2018, 11:06 PM

Default Not Sure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico View Post
Who is the BU crew? Haven/t seen a game they televised yet.
Chico, you know, when I posted this, I thought of the guys who do our games on ESPN3, like Brian Bedo and another guy. So, I was referring to them. Now that I think of it, do we even have a fixed crew on Fox Sports? I know that Dave Kaplan has done a few games and I think he does a good job.
Old 01-27-2018, 03:58 AM

Quote:
Chico, you know, when I posted this, I thought of the guys who do our games on ESPN3, like Brian Bedo and another guy. So, I was referring to them. Now that I think of it, do we even have a fixed crew on Fox Sports? I know that Dave Kaplan has done a few games and I think he does a good job.
I thought you were referring to the Bradley local television broadcast. I usually turn the sound down and listen to Dave Snell.
Old 01-27-2018, 06:27 AM

Quote:
The other guy is Stu Spencer.....They do a good job although I'm a little biased
Old 01-27-2018, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefty View Post
The other guy is Stu Spencer.....They do a good job although I'm a little biased
Thanks, Lefty. Yes, Brian and Stu do a very good job!
Old 01-27-2018, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Thanks, Lefty. Yes, Brian and Stu do a very good job!
I agree!
I don't see them much since I am always at the home games, but I have watched them on replays, and they do an excellent job.
Old 01-28-2018, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Coach View Post
MSU administration investigating cryotherapy treatment that injured 2 athletes
http://www.news-leader.com/story/spo...es/1070594001/
injuries are "rather serious"
..the two would probably be out for a couple of weeks.
...Fofana's injury is "a little bit more severe."

as we have now seen, both Scurry & Fofana again missed the game Saturday and Missouri State lost at home to SIU - getting outrebounded again even tho Missouri State got 12 from the league's leading rebounder, Alize Johnson.

This may be more than "blisters" - I think it's possible the players got more serious tissue damage from the freezing effect of the liquid nitrogen..

Frostbite - damage to the skin and tissues of the feet from freezing - is one of the most common & serious adverse effects of using cryotherapy - which, btw- really does NOT have any proven benefits.
They could be looking at lawsuits from the players who were injured - especially if those two players are injured badly enough that they don't make it back.

http://www.jfas.org/article/S1067-2516(09)00252-X/pdf

Go Back   BradleyFans.com Forums > Sports Forums > Basketball Fan talk