Just the top Valley freshmen...we are now more than 1/2 way thru the season

Tywhon Pickford (UNI) 9.7 ppg, 9.1 rpg in 30.3 minutes per game
Tyreke Key (InSU) 8.3 ppg, 3.8 rpg in 26.9 minutes per game
Cameron Krutwig (Loyola) 8.7 ppg, 5.9 rpg in 24.2 minutes per game
Elijah Childs 8.1 ppg, 5.9 rpg, 18.4 minutes per game
Lucas Williamson (Loyola) 5.9 ppg, 2.4 rpg in 22.6 minutes per game
Taylor Bruninga (ISU) 5.6 ppg, 2.7 rpg in 21.6 min per game
Noah Frederking (Evansville) 5.5 ppg, 1.7 rpg, in 19.5 min per game

Last edited by tornado; 01-10-2018 at 09:56 PM.
Old 01-11-2018, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tornado View Post
Just the top Valley freshmen...we are now more than 1/2 way thru the season

Tywhon Pickford (UNI) 9.7 ppg, 9.1 rpg in 30.3 minutes per game
Tyreke Key (InSU) 8.3 ppg, 3.8 rpg in 26.9 minutes per game
Cameron Krutwig (Loyola) 8.7 ppg, 5.9 rpg in 24.2 minutes per game
Elijah Childs 8.1 ppg, 5.9 rpg, 18.4 minutes per game
Lucas Williamson (Loyola) 5.9 ppg, 2.4 rpg in 22.6 minutes per game
Taylor Bruninga (ISU) 5.6 ppg, 2.7 rpg in 21.6 min per game
Noah Frederking (Evansville) 5.5 ppg, 1.7 rpg, in 19.5 min per game
Not sure how to post this and I am on mobile, but I put together a quick table comparing 40 minute averages. Childs leads at 17.6 ppg / 12.8 rpg followed by Krutwig (14.4/9., Pickford (12.8/12.0), and Key (12.3/5.7). The others are a ways behind on the 40 min avg.

Yeah...I've been in college for a while now and I'm pretty sure that awesomest is not a word. -Andrew E.
Old 01-11-2018, 12:41 PM

of course we all know a player's value to his team is sometimes a whole lot more than just scoring...

here's an example - Indiana State has a freshman Clayton Hughes...
Hughes didn't play much early on - rarely ever getting even 10 minutes in a game...so his season stats are unimpressive -

BUT - now he's worked his way into the starting lineup and has started the last five games and over that span is averaging..
29 minutes per game, hitting 12-25, 5.6 ppg, 2.4 rpg, 1.6 apg, 1.2 steals
..and the Sycamores who were 5-7 in the non-conference, have now gone 3-2 in MVC play....so he seems to have gained a little in the eyes of Coach Lansing.
In last night's win over UNI, starter Qiydar Davis was ill and did not play & Hughes picked up the slack - going 33 minutes, 8 pts, 3 asst - perhaps his best game yet.
Old 01-11-2018, 12:55 PM

I was impressed with Clayton Hughes watching Indiana State's last couple games. He is still a skinny kid, but he handles the ball well for a 6'6" guard, and shoots it well. He is a left handed kid from Tennessee, via Hargrave Military Academy prep school who passes well, too. I think he and fellow Indiana State freshman from Tennessee Tyreke Key will be a good players for them the next 3 years.
http://gosycamores.com/news/2017/4/2...px?path=mbball
Old 01-23-2018, 12:00 PM

tonight will mark the midpoint of the MVC season and we will be either 5-4 or 4-5 - maybe a little of a disappointment, as I had hoped for a little better..
Most others had us picked 6-7th and the official MVC Preseason Poll had us 7th.

BUT- freshmen aren't really freshmen any more this time of year, as most who might be in contention for All Freshman Team have played a lot of minutes, are getting quite experienced, and are getting better all the time.
So - I am going to trim my list of MVC Freshmen to just those who have demonstrated they are in the running for All Freshman Team - players who play a lot, moving UP the playing rotation, performing well & consistently and are improving as we all hope freshmen should!

Tywhon Pickford (UNI) 10.8 ppg, 8.8 rpg in 31.2 minutes per game (.281 3-pt shooting in 96 attempts)
Tyreke Key (InSU) 8.9 ppg, 4.4 rpg in 27.7 minutes per game (.300 3-pt shooting in 50 attempts)
Cameron Krutwig (Loyola) 9.6 ppg, 6.4 rpg in 24.4 minutes per game
Elijah Childs 8.2 ppg, 5.9 rpg, 19.3 minutes per game (.333 3-pt shooting in 15 attempts)
Lucas Williamson (Loyola) 5.6 ppg, 2.4 rpg in 22.1 minutes per game (.467 3-pt shooting in 45 attempts)
Noah Frederking (Evansville) 5.1 ppg, 1.6 rpg, in 18.8 min per game (.419 3-pt shooting in 43 attempts)
Ryan Stipanovich 2.7 ppg, 1.6 rpg in 10.4 minutes per game (.474 3-pt shooting on 19 attempts and perfect 12-12 on FTs + 14 steals)
Old 01-23-2018, 12:34 PM

Quote:
So - I am going to trim my list of MVC Freshmen to just those who have demonstrated they are in the running for All Freshman Team...

Tywhon Pickford (UNI) 10.8 ppg, 8.8 rpg in 31.2 minutes per game (.281 3-pt shooting in 96 attempts)
Tyreke Key (InSU) 8.9 ppg, 4.4 rpg in 27.7 minutes per game (.300 3-pt shooting in 50 attempts)
Cameron Krutwig (Loyola) 9.6 ppg, 6.4 rpg in 24.4 minutes per game
Elijah Childs 8.2 ppg, 5.9 rpg, 19.3 minutes per game (.333 3-pt shooting in 15 attempts)
Lucas Williamson (Loyola) 5.6 ppg, 2.4 rpg in 22.1 minutes per game (.467 3-pt shooting in 45 attempts)
Noah Frederking (Evansville) 5.1 ppg, 1.6 rpg, in 18.8 min per game (.419 3-pt shooting in 43 attempts)
Ryan Stipanovich 2.7 ppg, 1.6 rpg in 10.4 minutes per game (.474 3-pt shooting on 19 attempts and perfect 12-12 on FTs + 14 steals)

I think UNI's Tywhon Pickford is probably the leading candidate as of now, but with UNI languishing in last place all year, that might hurt his chances a little. On the other hand, because UNI doesn't have much depth, he will end up being the only contender for FOY who will start every game of the season, and he will play way more minutes than any other MVC freshman. That will help him accumulate more impressive looking stats.

Incidentally, Tywhon Pickford was not very highly recruited. And to show that there are still occasionally some good recruits available late, he did not commit to UNI until April 25, 2017, very late in the recruiting cycle, and well after most schools had filled all their scholarships.
https://www.desmoinesregister.com/st...017/306426001/

As of now, the only other freshman that appears to have an outside chance at FOY, IMO, is Krutwig. He has become a regular starter, and has played a key role in Loyola's success this season. They are tied for 1st in the MVC with a 6-2 record, their 16-4 overall record is the best among MVC teams, and their RPI of 63 is the best in the MVC. They have emerged as perhaps the only MVC team with a longshot chance at an NCAA at-large bid.

I also think the top 4 on your list have separated themselves as the top 4 freshmen, and unless something changes, they look like they will be on the MVC All Freshman team.
Lucas Williamson of Loyola appears to be the best bet among the rest to be on the All Freshman team, since he has been a part-time starter, plays significantly more minutes, and contributes more to his team's success.
Stipanovich and Frederking look like they have nice futures in the MVC, but haven't gotten enough playing time to put up numbers to get much consideration for the All Freshman team.
Old 01-23-2018, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Coach View Post
..... Loyola... They have emerged as perhaps the only MVC team with a longshot chance at an NCAA at-large bid.......
ya really think that? Loyola has a non-conference Strength of Schedule of 313
..and an overall SOS of 195 and those numbers are NOT gonna change much from here on out.
Has any team in history ever gotten an at-large bid with a SOS even half that out of a non-BCS conference?
ISU was 17-1 in the MVC last year and it was their SOS of 112 and non-conference SOS of 126 that was still weak enough to deny them a bid.
Old 01-23-2018, 01:17 PM

Quote:
ya really think that? Loyola has a non-conference Strength of Schedule of 313
..and an overall SOS of 195 and those numbers are NOT gonna change much from here on out.
Has any team in history ever gotten an at-large bid with a SOS even half that out of a non-BCS conference?
ISU was 17-1 in the MVC last year and it was their SOS of 112 and non-conference SOS of 126 that was still weak enough to deny them a bid.
Note that I clearly said it was a longshot. If they keep winning, their RPI will drop into the 50's and probably into the 40's if they run the table until the MVC Championship game.
Their projected overall SOS is 134, and plenty of at-large teams in the past have gotten bids with overall SOS in that range.
And their projected OOC SOS is predicted to drop to 282. Plus they have the best non-conference win of any MVC team. They are the only MVC team with a win over a top 25 RPI team (Florida- currently RPI 25).
Projections: http://www.rpiforecast.com/teams/Loyola%20Chicago.html

As I said, I doubt it could happen, but there have been at-large teams with similar resumes in the past.
The RPI takes the SOS into account, so we'll look at RPI's for al-large teams in the past-
Example:
VCU got an at-large bid in 2011 when they were still in the Colonial Athletic Association (a mid-major conference equivalent to the MVC) with an RPI of 49. Plus they had a bad loss to a 223 RPI team (Georgia Southern).
And VCU's RPI was 78 at this same point in January, 2011, and as late as mid-February of that year it was still 66, which is worse than where Loyola is now (RPI 63).
Clemson also got a bid in 2011 with an RPI of 66!
Old 01-23-2018, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Coach View Post
Example:
VCU got an at-large bid in 2011
VCU's SOS that year wasn't even close to 100 slots as bad as Loyola's is gonna be..and Clemson isn't a midmajor - the big conferences have the system jobbed and get bids when we all know midmajors wouldn't
Old 01-23-2018, 02:30 PM

The old RPI has fallen out of favor by the NCAA because "it's an arbitrary formula that mashes together a team’s winning percentage with those of its opponents (and opponents’ opponents), and as a result, it amplifies the importance of a strong schedule at the expense of everything else."

As a result, the NCAA Selection Committee has already announced it intends to use several "advanced metrics" that do much more to correct for teams' Strength Of Schedule, and as a result the NCAA now puts little or no weight on SOS-

The NCAA Is Modernizing The Way It Picks March Madness Teams
For 40 years, the selection process relied way too much on strength of schedule. Now the league is ready to rethink that system.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...madness-teams/
Old 02-09-2018, 02:47 PM

With 5 Valley games left to make an impact, here's an updated list of the MVC freshmen who may have a shot at post-season honors...

Tywhon Pickford (UNI) 10.0 ppg, 8.0 rpg in 29.9 minutes per game (.257 3-pt shooting in 109 attempts) but plays on a bottom dweller team so that may hirt his chances
Tyreke Key (InSU) 8.3 ppg, 4.3 rpg in 27.1 minutes per game (.281 3-pt shooting in 57 attempts)
Cameron Krutwig (Loyola) 10.4 ppg, 6.7 rpg in 24.4 minutes per game
Elijah Childs 8.7 ppg, 6.3 rpg, 20.6 minutes per game (.292 3-pt shooting in 24 attempts)
Noah Frederking (Evansville) 5.6 ppg, 1.7 rpg, in 20.5 min per game (.423 3-pt shooting in 52 attempts)
Taylor Bruninga (ISU) 5.5 ppg, 2.6 rpg in 18.8 minutes per game (.348 3-pt shooting in 92 attempts)
Lucas Williamson (Loyola) 5.2 ppg, 2.1 rpg in 22.1 minutes per game (.481 3-pt shooting in 52 attempts)

I think, barring an unexpected collapse, the top 4 are locks for the All Freshman Team but the remaining spot is up for grabs..
The last 3 on the list have nearly identical stats but since the Loyola guy is helping his team in 1st place, I wonder if he'll get the nod
However, Frederking is coming on strong lately, has been playing 30 min per game over the past 4-5 games, while the other two have seen their minutes cut significantly of late.

If Elijah Childs is All Freshman, that will mean Bradley will have five players on the roster who have that honor on their resumes - Childs, Bar, Brown, DLO & van Bree
Old 02-14-2018, 11:29 AM

I think we are at the point now where we can rank the MVC freshman since there's little chance that anything anyone does now is going to change much...

I am just one observer and I don't have a vote but here's my thoughts..
the top five are the All-Freshman Team in my view.

#1 Cameron Krutwig - I thought the kid would need a year or two to become a solid contributor - kind of like what happened to UNI's Jordan Eglseder or ISU's Dinma Odiakosa, but Krutwig has proven me wrong. He is consistent and he is a big part of the best team in the Valley, so he is the MVC Freshman of the Year in my opinion.

#2 & #3 tie...
Elijah Childs - like Krutwig, has quickly become a key part of a team that is going to finish better in the standings that predicted.

..and Tywhon Pickford - who plays for a very under-performing team but whose scoring and rebounding are among the best. I would have ranked him above Childs except for the fact that UNI probably would have had the same number of MVC wins even without him!

#4 Tyreke Key - scoring numbers are good but really takes a lot of shots and shooting percentages are low

#5 Lucas Williamson - numbers weren't overwhelming but on this team (Loyola)
they didn't have to be. His athleticism, defense and 46% 3-pt shooting made him perhaps the top sub in the league.

#6 Noah Frederking - Evansville desperately needs another shooter & scorer to draw the defenses away from Ryan Taylor, so Frederking was given a great opportunity to step up and be that player. But even with 21 minutes per game and a solid chance to start- he only averaged 5.6 ppg and 38% from 3-pt

#7 Taylor Bruninga - likewise was given a HUGE chance since ISU had nobody else - so Bruninga got to play a bunch even in prime time and logged several starts. He is a good 3-pt shooter but you can't just be one-dimensional. His rebounding, assists, defense and other stats were less than hoped for.

#8 Ryan Stipanovich - didn't get a lot of opportunity but definitely helped us win games
#9 Mustapha Lawrence - came on strong in latter half of MVC season & led them in scoring in 2 of their last 4 games. Hits 45% from 3-pt
#10 Austin Phyfe- shoots 63% from the floor, maybe should have played more!
#11 Noah Thomas- way too many turnovers for playing 12 min per game
#12 Jalen Gibbs
#13 Mileek McMillan
#14 Clayton Hughes
#15 Isaac Gassman
#16 Elijah Clarance
#17 John Hall
#18 Evan Kuhlman
#19 Christian Negron
#20 Ross Owens
#21 Brendan Gooch very disappointing considering he's already redshirted and Hon Mention AP All State in 2016

The next tier are kid who played so little and minimal contributions - so they are lumped together as #22-30
Samm Jones, Antonio Pilipovic, Luke Litwiller, Daniel Huenermann, Matt Deady, Ethan Claycomb, Dylan Boehm, Parker Hazen, Marten Linssen

These freshmen are lumped together as #31-34 and only Lohaus played but they are all redshirting
Connor Gholson, Greg Williams, Darian Scott, Tanner Lohaus

The other top Newcomers who are not freshmen (jucos & transfers) are Kavion Pippen, Milik Yarbrough, Tevonn Walker & Bakari Evelyn (new to MVC),
Dainius Chatkevicius, Reggie Scurry, Qiydar Davis, Marcus Bartley, William Tinsley
Old 02-14-2018, 01:10 PM

Pickford's offensive production had tailed off in recent games, while Childs' production has been boosted by moving into the starting lineup and playing more.

Here is the game log for Tywhon Pickford. He has scored no more than 6 points in any of his last 5 games. And in his last 8 games, he is shooting just 15 for his last 64 overall (23%), and just 1 for his last 23 on three pointers (4%).-
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-bas...ywhon-pickford

But many of the people doing the voting may have already made up their minds.

Go Back   BradleyFans.com Forums > Sports Forums > Basketball Fan talk