Go Back   BradleyFans.com Forums > Sports Forums > Basketball Fan talk

Old 03-29-2016, 08:04 PM

Freddie gets an Indiana offer
https://twitter.com/VerbalCommits/st...54191966371840
Old 03-30-2016, 09:19 AM

they always have open scholarships each spring because Crean runs off so many players.
I hope Freddie knows he's just a backup plan there

He hasn't visited there yet...
but look how many offers Indiana has out...
They have at most TWO open scholarships yet they have at least 24 offers already extended! - LINK
They play all those kids along like they did with Matt Roth then dropped him to the end of the bench and before his senior year gave his scholarship to someone else.

btw- the last 2-yr juco kid they recruited was Tijan Jobe - a late recruit to get depth at the post position, and Jobe barely played 3 minutes per game only deep garbage time - ended up in his entire two years at Indiana taking 16 shots - scoring only 15 points total in DI career.
Then there was Guy Marc Michel who never played even one single second at IU and got run out after just one season.
If a kid is a juco kid - I hope he knows that IU never plays juco kids & only uses them as gap-fillers.
Old 03-30-2016, 08:58 PM

Freddie Mcswain Top five
Bradley
IU
K-State
Auburn
ISU
https://twitter.com/JeffRabjohns/sta...56427023970305
Old 03-30-2016, 09:05 PM

I hope he sees the bigger picture, and looks past the obvious differences.
Old 03-30-2016, 09:07 PM

Matt Roth woulda been a star at BU but I can see the lure of the bright lights..
Indiana and the other BCS schools almost never count on juco kids and they routinely get pushed to the end of the bench as deep reserves.
Old 03-31-2016, 02:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tornado View Post
Freddie Mcswain Top five
Bradley
IU
K-State
Auburn
ISU
https://twitter.com/JeffRabjohns/sta...56427023970305
One thing missing from this retweet is his mention of it being in no particular order. Just an FYI.
Old 03-31-2016, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by algotrader View Post
... no particular order. .
Recruiting points:
Here's the order in which he received the offers:
Bradley
K-State
Auburn
ISU
Indiana

Here's the order in which he lines up the visits:
Bradley

Post-season wins since 2006 - Bradley has TWELVE!! (as many as the other four put together)

Even National Championships (Bradley has four NIT Championships)!

And don't forget recruits developed into Lottery Picks, historic average attendance, number of trips to the Sweet Sixteen, Final Fours, number of players sent to the NBA, #1 draft picks, etc...
In every case, Bradley ranks high
Old 03-31-2016, 09:06 PM

Whoa...here's an audio interview with Freddie McSwain's coach...on an Indiana site...
http://kentsterling.com/2016/03/31/i...jeremy-coombs/

the interviewer kinda shocked that Freddie would ever think he'd get more than 10 minutes per game as a backup - even if he turns out to be everything they hope!!

Freddie - listen carefully to what this IU guy is saying - they just want McSwain as a back-up if all other options fail.
Old 04-01-2016, 06:42 AM

Indiana has only one remaining open scholarship and they are making a strong play for former 5-Star Arizona transfer Justin Simon..

Here's the kind of comments their fans have been posting...and gives you some clue what Freddie is getting into as their fans can be vicious..
"I'll take the 5* shooting guard over a 6-6 guy that can't shoot."
https://indiana.forums.rivals.com/th.../#post-1521105
Old 04-03-2016, 10:15 AM

Is this any relation to Freddie McSwain who played at SIU back in the day?
Old 04-03-2016, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTTB View Post
Is this any relation to Freddie McSwain who played at SIU back in the day?
Yes, it is his son. Freddie McSwain, Sr. was a junior college transfer who played at SIU from 1988-1990.
Old 04-03-2016, 11:31 AM

Gotcha. I thought that name sounded familiar. It would also be why K-State was so early in on the process as well since Chris Lowery would have played with Freddie at SIU and had some ties. Freddie Sr. sure had a ton of athleticism back in the day! Best wishes on getting him and hopefully the recruiting tides in the Valley will rise more and more!
Old 04-03-2016, 11:53 AM

Freddie McSwain, Sr.'s last season at Southern Illinois was 1989-1990, and Lowery's first season with the Salukis was 1990-1991, so they never actually played together on the same SIU team, though they probably knew each other.
Here is SIU's roster of players for 1989-1990, Freddie McSwain, Sr.'s senior season-
http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/...tats_final.pdf
Old 04-03-2016, 04:42 PM

Thanks for the correction. Yes, I'm sure they still had some ties. Chris played on some great SIU teams. Freddie was just a couple years too early for their NCAA runs. Regardless, I've always thought that Freddie McSwain is one of the more fun names to say...like it was meant to be echoed in the rafters during a basketball game! Similar to Hersey Hawkins. They just sound like cool names.
Old 04-03-2016, 07:04 PM

McSwain was recruited by Rich Herrin, who took over at SIU in 1985, and had losing records his first 3 seasons. I recall hearing from some SIU fans that they thought they had made a big mistake hiring a high school coach. But then in 1988-89, McSwain arrived and averaged 15.5 ppg to help lead SIU to a 20-14 season and an NIT bid. Then in 1989-90, with McSwain as a senior and averaging a team-leading 17.3 ppg, they went 26-8, and a 1st place tie for the MVC regular season, and another NIT bid. Those 2 years with McSwain started a string of 7 straight winning seasons for Rich Herrin, and he went from being on the hot seat at SIU, to one of their most revered past individuals.
Old 04-03-2016, 08:46 PM

I note multiple IU fans are tweeting messages direct to Freddie encouraging him to come to their school- someone call NCAA

but very likely Freddie's offer is quite conditional and he's gotta wait 'til others say yes or no first, then if the spot is still open when they get way down their list to Freddie - then he can verbal..
Bradley is a far better option for him
Old 04-04-2016, 02:43 AM

Interesting comments on the Kansas State board..

The guy who writes for their scout.com fan site said this last Thursday:
"After an unofficial visit this week, 2016 Neosho County (Kan.) CC F Freddie McSwain puts K-State in Top 5.
Story:
https://kansasstate.n.rivals.com/new...te-four-others "

https://twitter.com/brettregan/statu...57791935569921

The very next day, this same K-State writer says:
"2016 Neosho County (Kan.) CC forward Freddie McSwain will take an official visit to K-State next weekend (April 8-10). Indiana to follow."
https://twitter.com/brettregan/statu...28713020891140

anyway - they do not have an open scholarship AND their top incoming recruit, Xavier Sneed is a very similar player who plays the same position - PLUS, their best player for 2016, Wesley Iwundu - who will be a senior, similar player - at 12 ppg - will also likely play ahead of Freddie.
http://www.scout.com/college/kansas-...reddie-mcswain

K-State assistant Chris Lowery is reportedly friends with Freddie's father.

And the fans at Indiana STILL want Tom Crean fired !!!!
http://kentsterling.com/2016/03/28/41743/

And in one of the direct tweets that an Indiana fan sent (illegally) to Freddie - McSwain responds that he has an official visit set with ISU - no date given
McSwain still almost never mentions Auburn ..
Old 04-04-2016, 11:29 AM

Now the ISU fans are tweeting out Freddie McSwain's twitter address - I wish the same hostile attack fans that hate seeing anyone from Bradley tweet about recruits would go ballistic and call NCAA on the ISU fans as well

ps- new report of an offer from UNLV but they don't even have a coaching staff there yet - everyone was fired & the new hires haven't signed yet...

Last edited by tornado; 04-04-2016 at 12:50 PM.
Old 04-04-2016, 07:34 PM

Offering scholarships to potential players when there are no scholarships available is quite common. Coaches know when scholarships are not going to be renewed for current players. I could be wrong, but I believe Bradley was offering scholarships for kids for next year, when there were no scholarships available, until the announcement that three freshmen would not be coming back.
Old 04-04-2016, 10:43 PM

yes, it is not a rule violation....but I have been a Bradley fan for 50 years and the Darrel Brown offer is the first time I have ever seen Bradley do it...

Go Back   BradleyFans.com Forums > Sports Forums > Basketball Fan talk