Go Back   BradleyFans.com Forums > Sports Forums > Basketball Fan talk

Old 11-04-2017, 12:01 PM

3 more interesting results from exhibitions last night...

Arizona State was coming off a narrow double OT win in their first exhibition game, 98-90 over DII Northern State, in which they went with their starters nearly the whole way, several playing well over 40 minutes!! Then another narrow win over Cal State-San Diego

Well, they finally got an opponent that they didn't struggle against last night vs. tiny Arizona Christian, a small NAIA whose enrollment has trended between just 400-800.
In the 115-69 win, Arizona State again played their starters heavy minutes (27-34 minutes) in blowing out to a 46 point lead and pouring it on...
ASU Starter Shannon Evans launched 26 shots including 18 3-pointers to finish with 50 points in the exhibition, playing all but six minutes of the game and even launching more in the final minute - and taking one more shot at the buzzer to get 50. In the final 6 minutes of the game Evans jacked up nine shots, six of which were 3-pointers early in the possession just to pad his scoring totals...all of this while his team was up by 6 or 7 touchdowns (39-46 points). Interesting....

UNLV beat Alaska-Fairbanks 97-73 and the 2017 juco PLAYER OF THE YEAR Shakur Juiston was pretty awesome - 24 pts on 9-11 and 7 rebs

Sacramento State beat the UC-Santa Cruz Banana Slugs 94-75, and they also had a player go on a scoring tear...
Senior Justin Strings hit on 19 of 23 FG attempts, played 38 minutes and finished with 44 pts, 8 rebs, 4 asst, 2 steals and no turnovers.
Old 11-04-2017, 03:03 PM

upset alert...
(please, if Coach Wardle is reading, then please hit your back button and don't look below....)

Marquette is losing at halftime - Lindenwood 42 - Marquette 37 - Warriors getting nothing off the bench
http://www.gomarquette.com/gametrack...&startschool=&

...Update- Marquette wins by 2 pt over DII Lindenwood

DII North Alabama knocks off DI South Alabama - their next exhibition is against future Bradley opponent Ole Miss

Drake just beat Minnesota-Crookston 88-73 - one concern, Drake plays very small with only one starter over 6-3 and only one sub that played more than 3 minutes over 6-3 -- - and got outrebounded.

Last edited by tornado; 11-04-2017 at 05:21 PM.
Old 11-04-2017, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tornado View Post
Drake just beat Minnesota-Crookston 88-73 - one concern, Drake plays very small with only one starter over 6-3 and only one sub that played more than 3 minutes over 6-3 -- - and got outrebounded.
4 other exhibition games in the MVC this weekend

Valparaiso just finished on the road at future Bradley opponent Chicago State and won 77-42 - CSU couldn't buy a rebound.
SIU playing Rockhurst at 7pm tonight
UNI playing UNC-Pembroke at 1pm Sunday
ISU plays Lewis at 2pm Sunday

Last edited by tornado; 11-05-2017 at 04:29 PM.
Old 11-05-2017, 09:16 AM

ISU plays Lewis at 2pm - it will be on ESPN3 - http://www.espn.com/watch/_/id/32001...e-m-basketball
their local media has multiple nice articles previewing the game & new players- not just a report after the game...this probably helps interest & ticket sales..

http://www.pantagraph.com/sports/col...612c41a42.html
http://www.pantagraph.com/sports/col...2834da334.html
http://www.pantagraph.com/sports/col...b3875c35a.html
Old 11-05-2017, 03:05 PM

ISU starters-
Former walk-on & redshirt freshman Isaac Gassman
Junior Keyshawn Evans
Juco transfer senior Phillip Fayne
Newcomer juco Williams Tinsley
Sophmore Madison Williams

at the first timeout tied 6-6 after Lewis missed 3 FTs after getting fouled on the 3-pt FG attempt - ISU's 6 pts come from two 3-pointers by Tinsley
Bruninga in now - forced to play the "5" (center) position due to injuries...

Yarbrough in playing point guard.
Old 11-05-2017, 03:36 PM

under 5 min, low scoring....24-24

....Tinsley hits from long - he's 3-3 from beyond the arc...

but here's an interesting stat....47 shot attempts so far for both teams combined-- and just 2 assists total...tells ya there's a lot of dribble-drive-shoot going on
Old 11-05-2017, 03:51 PM

ISU closed the half on a nice run with a couple 3's (Tinsley, Yarbrough) and 2 FTs
and lead at half 38-29

Yarbrough has 16 mostly on a lot of drives into the lane that Lewis appears to not want to defend..
Tinsley has 9 on 3-4 from beyond the arc
Fayne has 7 but he's needed 7 shots to get 'em
Grad transfer Jerron Martin has 4 on a bucket & 2 FT
Evans has 2 on a pair of FTs but he's 0-5 from the floor

Gassman, Bruninga, Williams and walk-on Litwiller are scoreless
Old 11-05-2017, 04:02 PM

Typical HCDM coached exhibition game. Almost no set plays at all. Tinsley has a nice shot with range and Yarborough looking good. Hard to tell much in an exhibition but when ISU gets their players back they look okay to me.
Old 11-05-2017, 04:21 PM

2nd half, ISU has now pulled out to a 20-pt lead- interesting how much trash-talking there is going on -
seriously - you're playing a DII, you are expected to win by double digits -

Last night SIU beat Rockhurst 98-68 - Kavion Pippen had 23 & 8

UNI just barely edged UNC-Pembroke 72-66m but UNC-Pembroke led this game up til the final 3 minutes!!
Old 11-05-2017, 04:42 PM

ISU in control, leading 76-50 - 3 min to go
Redbirds have shot 27 3-pointers (made 12), Yarbrough 23 pts, Tinsley 17

Future BU opponent Ole Miss leads North Alabama 48-25 at half- ex-Drake Bulldog Dominik Olejniczak 8 pts, 3 reb
Old 11-05-2017, 06:20 PM

UNI avoids upset loss to Division II North Carolina-Pembroke thanks to a little help from the refs followed by a late 15-0 run

http://wcfcourier.com/sports/college...a46c17a46.html
Old 11-05-2017, 08:58 PM

Taylor Bruinga scores 9pts and 8 rebounds. Can you say Alex Peters.
Old 11-05-2017, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wily coyote View Post
I watched some of that game, and I would not go quite that far yet with TB. He can be a very good player, but he's not quite where Peters was at this stage. He will struggle against D1 opponents, IMO. Lewis is doesn't have any good big men, so TB did look good today. I still think a Red shirt year would have been better for him.
Old 11-05-2017, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Coach View Post
I watched some of that game, and I would not go quite that far yet with TB. He can be a very good player, but he's not quite where Peters was at this stage. He will struggle against D1 opponents, IMO. Lewis is doesn't have any good big men, so TB did look good today. I still think a Red shirt year would have been better for him.
Sorry I guess I didn't make my post very clear. I'm not saying Taylor is at the same stage Alex was. I know three people who told Geno Alex should be our main target even though we told him we liked Taphorn. We just thought Peters was more of a Valley type. I know it's early and I do like what I've seen from the Missouri Frosh and I hope he has a great career at BU and I think it's possible but I REALLY like the up side of Taylor and would have loved to see him in a BU uniform.Bottom line not comparing anyone to Peters.
Old 11-05-2017, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wily coyote View Post
Nice game - he played more minutes than any Bradley player played in either of our exhibitions...

pretty much all the ISU players looked very good...they will not be in the MVC basement..
It's hard to tell with certainty from just one exhibition, and Lewis looked like they ran out of gas - playing 6 or 7 of their subs more minutes than most of their starters..
But ISU's top 3-4 guys can play with anyone in the Valley. The question of depth comes in, as I don't think they wanna go too many minutes with 2-3 freshman & untested sophs playing.
Old 11-05-2017, 11:50 PM

With the injuries ISU has, Taylor will get a lot more playing time that he would have, and that should benefit him.
Old 11-06-2017, 09:27 AM

Good game by the Birds overall. They looked better then I thought they would. Copeland was behind the bench engaged with the game. That is a good sign for next year. The Birds will be very competitive this year and could be down right scary good next year.
Old 11-06-2017, 09:53 AM

They did look very good, I will agree. But everyone who Lewis has played so far has looked very good. The next 2 weeks will tell us a lot more about the strength of ISU, and all the MVC teams.
Old 11-06-2017, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvcfan View Post
Good game by the Birds overall. They looked better then I thought they would. Copeland was behind the bench engaged with the game. That is a good sign for next year. The Birds will be very competitive this year and could be down right scary good next year.
Scary good next year? Yea, we'll have to wait and see about that LOL.
Old 11-06-2017, 10:24 AM

it depends no what players are available -
they will lose almost nobody but they always seem to have a lot of roster turnover

Go Back   BradleyFans.com Forums > Sports Forums > Basketball Fan talk