Go Back   BradleyFans.com Forums > Sports Forums > General Sports discussions

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 12-16-2011, 05:21 PM
Beninator's Avatar
Beninator Beninator is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Chilli Illi
Posts: 4,576
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by tornado View Post
I gotta go out and protest something so I feel honored by Time & Ted Turner..

Ok, you can join me and we can occupy Peoria! Protesting and questioning the status quo is in my DNA going back to this relative of mine which is perhaps a reason some of my ancestors came to America!

__________________
Bradley 72 - Illini 68 Final

Its awful hard, said Illini freshman guard D.J. Richardson, the former Central High School guard who played prep school ball a few miles from here and fought back tears outside the locker room. Its a hometown thing. Its bragging rights.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 12-16-2011, 05:25 PM
DUBulldog's Avatar
DUBulldog DUBulldog is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 429
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tornado View Post
BTW -- keep in mind that these people are protesters, too-- so I guess Time Mag thinks they're doing a great job for the world as well....
Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think Time's "Man of the Year" has ever been meant to honor the person who did a great job, or did the best things.....it's been the person, or people, who have dominated the news, for reasons good or bad.

I don't equate Time giving this award to "protestors" to be an endorsement of them.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 12-16-2011, 05:29 PM
ChewaBrave ChewaBrave is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Chiwoko - Zambia
Posts: 311
Default

Exactly, it is about influence, and 'newsworthiness' (yeah awesome word), not about good/evil, not about endorse or condemn.

Does anyone have any groups/things/individuals they would throw out there for their own person of the year?
__________________
Sungani umoyo womseko na wokonda waumbiri anznga.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 12-16-2011, 05:43 PM
ChewaBrave ChewaBrave is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Chiwoko - Zambia
Posts: 311
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tornado View Post
BUT -- numerous eastern bloc governments (other than Germany) were collapsing economically, politically, and socially...Poland had FREE labor unions...and people were chomping at the bits for more freedoms...
...and then starting with Hungary early in 1989 the govt. officials made the fateful decision to open borders and allow people to pass - overriding concerns from Russia & elsewhere.
- the government began to just let people cross freely setting into action a sequence of the same things happening elsewhere, then finally in Berlin...

If you are going to credit the "protests" in Berlin which occurred later, then how did they have the effect we saw in Hungary & Czech?
The past doesn't have all that much to do with the time person of the year, especially dating that far back - but you would be hard pressed to make an argument that protesters didn't play a role in those places. The CZ had several such episodes - the organization and recognition of the 'Solidarity' movement in Poland was heavily based on protests and strikes - the Hungarians always hated the soviets, and took every opportunity to protest, they still celebrate the beginning of their 1958 revolution against the soviets that grew out of student protests.

It is distinctly possible I'm missing something, but I have a hard time thinking of anything more influential this year than protesters.
__________________
Sungani umoyo womseko na wokonda waumbiri anznga.

Last edited by ChewaBrave; 12-16-2011 at 05:44 PM. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 12-16-2011, 07:30 PM
sousaman2089's Avatar
sousaman2089 sousaman2089 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 227
Default

TIME is also probably trying to stir up controversy and sales anyways, no one reads this magazine anymore. Sales for that paper has fallen over 50% over the past two years or so.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 12-17-2011, 08:47 AM
AE Braves Fan AE Braves Fan is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 466
Default

Time magazine is a joke and a waste of trees.

This award is about as meaningless as the Nobel Peace prize.

That is all.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 12-17-2011, 11:35 AM
Chico Chico is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Peoria-Mesa
Posts: 4,979
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AE Braves Fan View Post
Time magazine is a joke and a waste of trees.

This award is about as meaningless as the Nobel Peace prize.

That is all.
+1
__________________
What part of illegal don't you understand?
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 12-17-2011, 11:36 AM
Da Coach Da Coach is online now
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Peoria area
Posts: 35,232
Default

Newsweek is even worse. It once was a superb news magazine with great coverage of world and national news. Now it is an absolute joke.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 12-24-2011, 12:36 PM
sousaman2089's Avatar
sousaman2089 sousaman2089 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 227
Default

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-16324644

Even more protests, in Russia of all places. It would really interesting to see a Russia without Putin, but then again, Russia has always had leaders who seized power for long periods of time. Even before Communism, Russia has had a large line of rulers who stayed in power for too long.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 09-13-2012, 06:19 PM
tornado tornado is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 43,112
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tornado View Post
If so - Time Magazine has honored you as Person of the Year
http://blogs.voanews.com/breaking-ne...n-of-the-year/....
The very "persons" who Time Mag had chosen to honor as the "Person of the Year have turned on us...and shown themselves to be sub-human scum who have no sense of decency or civility...
Nice job Time - I think it amplifies how short sighted they were - maybe let's give the "protesters" the Nobel Peace Prize this year??

These "scum" and not
"disenfranchised young adults who are frustrated with a lack of political power and a flailing economy".....as Time describes them....

They are selfish, fanatic, kill-at-all-costs zealots who believe anyone who thinks differently than them is "Satan" and must be eliminated...

Is it any wonder that all the Time's, CNN's, and top politicians in the US are suddenly saying they are totally surprised and taken off-guard by these happenings,
when almost everyone else down to the street sweepers and janitors knew full well this was coming and those people have an irrational hate for us and cannot be dealt with like reasonable human beings.
http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2...t-attack-qaeda
http://www.newser.com/article/da1952...slim-film.html
http://world.bdnews24.com/details.php?id=232256&cid=0


none of this surprises me or catches me off guard...and shouldn't surprise anyone who was alive in 1979 when our Iranian embassy was attacked....
how come politicians can think they will behave according to common human civility - they never have before...
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 09-14-2012, 02:44 PM
SFP's Avatar
SFP SFP is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 6,155
Default

I want to see what our response will be. Also not a dime or even cent should go to Egypt's ruling party. When they can't stand up to our simple principles as a nation why do we keep supporting these figures. These countries have no idea what freedom and democracy is and their leaders are nothing but power hunger *****s that will say or do whatever the uneducated thugs ask of them. Attacks like this does not happen in a vacuum. I'm also a bit disturbed that we do not have enough assets in the streets in these places in order to prevent these tragedies from happening. This was another intelligence failure.
__________________
"Educate and inform the whole mass of the people...they are the only sure reliance for the preservation of our liberty."
Thomas Jefferson
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 09-16-2012, 04:53 PM
ChewaBrave ChewaBrave is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Chiwoko - Zambia
Posts: 311
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tornado View Post
The very "persons" who Time Mag had chosen to honor as the "Person of the Year have turned on us...and shown themselves to be sub-human scum who have no sense of decency or civility...
Nice job Time - I think it amplifies how short sighted they were - maybe let's give the "protesters" the Nobel Peace Prize this year??

These "scum" and not
"disenfranchised young adults who are frustrated with a lack of political power and a flailing economy".....as Time describes them....

They are selfish, fanatic, kill-at-all-costs zealots who believe anyone who thinks differently than them is "Satan" and must be eliminated...

Is it any wonder that all the Time's, CNN's, and top politicians in the US are suddenly saying they are totally surprised and taken off-guard by these happenings,
when almost everyone else down to the street sweepers and janitors knew full well this was coming and those people have an irrational hate for us and cannot be dealt with like reasonable human beings.
http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2...t-attack-qaeda
http://www.newser.com/article/da1952...slim-film.html
http://world.bdnews24.com/details.php?id=232256&cid=0


none of this surprises me or catches me off guard...and shouldn't surprise anyone who was alive in 1979 when our Iranian embassy was attacked....
how come politicians can think they will behave according to common human civility - they never have before...

Don't disagree with you on much of what you said regarding the protesters, but you still seem confused. The person of the year is about influence, not good or evil.
__________________
Sungani umoyo womseko na wokonda waumbiri anznga.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 09-16-2012, 07:01 PM
tornado tornado is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 43,112
Default

I know what you are saying - but there has always been legitimate "backlash and opposition" to their naming "negative" figures...so I am only doing what I see to be fair....
also - I see their selection of "The Protester" as a cutesy choice by those pretending to be intellectual - to heap honor on those they want honored for changing the world...

if it was just about influence then "The Mother" or "The Father" or "The teacher" or even the "Al Qaeda cult leader" would be the obvious choice..

and in 1979 when they chose the Ayatollah just before he urged Iranians to storm our embassy there and hold many US citizens hostage - some people at Time offered apologies for their choice and admitted it was a bad choice,leading them to shy away from picking such bad people as their "Person of the Year"...
this was universally obvious in 2001 when clearly the most influential person in 2001 was Osama bin Laden and yet Time chose the safer path and selected someone else...hoping to avoid scathing editorials and buyer wrath or boycots.
So I feel there's not only room for disagreement - clearly Time themselves concedes it's bad, or possibly risky or controversial policy to name these bad guys and thus honor them for being evil.

Virtually all broadcasters and people in the media somewhat even agree with me in the sense that they NEVER show or turn the camera on "protesters" who race onto the fields at baseball games - right? so they kinda clearly know that this kind of honoring hooligans and "protesters" is bad policy.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 09-17-2012, 10:59 AM
ChewaBrave ChewaBrave is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Chiwoko - Zambia
Posts: 311
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tornado View Post
I know what you are saying - but there has always been legitimate "backlash and opposition" to their naming "negative" figures...so I am only doing what I see to be fair....
also - I see their selection of "The Protester" as a cutesy choice by those pretending to be intellectual - to heap honor on those they want honored for changing the world...

if it was just about influence then "The Mother" or "The Father" or "The teacher" or even the "Al Qaeda cult leader" would be the obvious choice..

and in 1979 when they chose the Ayatollah just before he urged Iranians to storm our embassy there and hold many US citizens hostage - some people at Time offered apologies for their choice and admitted it was a bad choice,leading them to shy away from picking such bad people as their "Person of the Year"...
this was universally obvious in 2001 when clearly the most influential person in 2001 was Osama bin Laden and yet Time chose the safer path and selected someone else...hoping to avoid scathing editorials and buyer wrath or boycots.
So I feel there's not only room for disagreement - clearly Time themselves concedes it's bad, or possibly risky or controversial policy to name these bad guys and thus honor them for being evil.

Virtually all broadcasters and people in the media somewhat even agree with me in the sense that they NEVER show or turn the camera on "protesters" who race onto the fields at baseball games - right? so they kinda clearly know that this kind of honoring hooligans and "protesters" is bad policy.
Thats largely true, but I would argue that the reason for the backlash, is because people are under the impression, that only 'Good People' that are influential should be noted - or precisely what you are arguing. If you acknowledge the fact that the time cover has no correlation to the ethics of the actions or will of the person portrayed - there is no reason to be upset if the person they choose is "Bad". Apologizing for a backlash is almost always a business decision, and if anything was going to undermine any 'credibility' Time's Person of the year pick has, it was NOT selecting Bin Laden as the person in 2001.
__________________
Sungani umoyo womseko na wokonda waumbiri anznga.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 09-17-2012, 01:11 PM
tornado tornado is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 43,112
Default

Two more interesting stories caught my eye...

-on the anniversary of the Occupy movement...they tried to throw a HUGE demonstration and rally...in an effort to show that the "Occupy protesters" were still STRONG...
They did create a little disturbance and a bunch got themselves arrested...but note that every story kinda hides the fact that only about 200 to 300 "protesters" showed up -
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-...t-anniversary/

Almost every rally that they've ever had protesting other issues gathers that many people and virtually never gets a writeup.
http://www.kob.com/article/stories/S2745580.shtml

-then this - the fed is going to arbitrarily print more money and buy up bad debt and bad loans...almost guaranteeing more inflation and increasing interest rates, so you'd better buy now or your dollars will cost you more to get and will be worth less in the near future.
Their hopes will be that with the dollar worth less, then maybe some employers will hire??
http://www.businessinsider.com/infla...ernanke-2012-9
http://www.businessinsider.com/david...t-rates-2012-9
http://www.businessinsider.com/cui-b...reserve-2012-9
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/business...-1226475177452
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 09-17-2012, 03:32 PM
ChewaBrave ChewaBrave is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Chiwoko - Zambia
Posts: 311
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tornado View Post
Two more interesting stories caught my eye...

-on the anniversary of the Occupy movement...they tried to throw a HUGE demonstration and rally...in an effort to show that the "Occupy protesters" were still STRONG...
They did create a little disturbance and a bunch got themselves arrested...but note that every story kinda hides the fact that only about 200 to 300 "protesters" showed up -
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-...t-anniversary/

Almost every rally that they've ever had protesting other issues gathers that many people and virtually never gets a writeup.
http://www.kob.com/article/stories/S2745580.shtml

-then this - the fed is going to arbitrarily print more money and buy up bad debt and bad loans...almost guaranteeing more inflation and increasing interest rates, so you'd better buy now or your dollars will cost you more to get and will be worth less in the near future.
Their hopes will be that with the dollar worth less, then maybe some employers will hire??
http://www.businessinsider.com/infla...ernanke-2012-9
http://www.businessinsider.com/david...t-rates-2012-9
http://www.businessinsider.com/cui-b...reserve-2012-9
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/business...-1226475177452
I didn't see where they attempted to stage a huge protest, nor where the purpose of the protest was to show their strength.
__________________
Sungani umoyo womseko na wokonda waumbiri anznga.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 09-17-2012, 04:19 PM
tornado tornado is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 43,112
Default

I know it comes over sounding harsh but sometimes you just gotta say the obvious...
Several blogs and interviews - including this one from NBC quoted the Occupy organizers as saying they were trying to "reignite" or "restart" the whole movement and fill Zuccotti Park with large numbers of protesters...
..and were "hoping to regain some momentum"
....but it fell pretty short of their hopes....leading the blogger to describe them...
..a "leaderless organization and dwindling participation"
http://photoblog.nbcnews.com/_news/2...nt-in-new-york

I agree with people's right to voice concerns and protest but right from the start this was a disrespectful group of protesters who were often overly angry, violent, lawbreaking, and a bit filled with hyperbole as almost all those protesting were folks who actually have it pretty good, living in a great land of opportunity and freedoms, yet whining about lack of opportunity or freedom!
It simply didn't take a genius to predict their whole movement would grow old and fail - and the vast majority of those who were attending would finally see the uselessness and counter-productivity of whining for someone else to give you everything you want without you ever lifting a finger for it.
There will always be a few who still moan and whine for freebies and handouts, but 99% (ironically) of those "99%-er's protesters" have packed up and gone home knowing how silly and selfish they look wearing their expensive clothes and jewelry and carrying computers while whining about how bad they have it and how much they want more government handouts.

Right from the start I have seen this Occupy movement as a bunch of spoiled brats wanting more but unwilling to work for it or pay for it...
the classic was when I saw one of the leaders of the New York Occupy movement interviewed and all he could say was that he and his crowds blamed everyone else, wanted more government freebies & benefits, free college, free health coverage, jobs created, free just about everything else, and given to them even when they have zero skills, etc...
It was the most immature, bizarre, delusional, gimme-rant I have ever heard and I guess I have always had little respect when able bodied people decline to work, blame everyone else, and demand others support them.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 09-18-2012, 10:47 AM
ChewaBrave ChewaBrave is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Chiwoko - Zambia
Posts: 311
Default

There was quite a bit of that - most movements have fanatics/crazies/freeloaders/jags.

I would actually agree with you, that it has died out - its just that you have a tendency to report things that aren't actually available at your sources, in this case, information regarding the purpose of the protest, and the planned impact of it.
__________________
Sungani umoyo womseko na wokonda waumbiri anznga.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 09-22-2012, 01:19 PM
ChewaBrave ChewaBrave is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Chiwoko - Zambia
Posts: 311
Default

So I didn't feel like finding the thread that this should posted in from a couple months back but I came across this the other day and I figured you would be interested in it Tornado.

http://www.plosone.org/article/info:...l.pone.0044275

It's a study done about reporting of biomedical findings in the media, and how they often do a poor job.
__________________
Sungani umoyo womseko na wokonda waumbiri anznga.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 09-22-2012, 04:13 PM
tornado tornado is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 43,112
Default

Ha - I have noticed many times when a medical story gets reported in the press they butcher it, totally misinterpret it..
then afterwards the stuff that was touted gets disproven anyway --

btw - Time's beloved "Protesters" are about to start WWIII and send the entire earth back to the dark ages -
and they oddly seem to even be proud that's their plan!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   BradleyFans.com Forums > Sports Forums > General Sports discussions



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:00 AM.
vBulletin Skins by: Skins-N-Styles.com
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
BradleyFans.com is not affiliated with Bradley University