Go Back   BradleyFans.com Forums > Sports Forums > Basketball Fan talk

Old 07-13-2017, 05:14 PM

they have a couple good games, but they still have a need for at least one more and can't find anyone to play them - so they do have the same problem we have..
we will likely be playing Ole Miss & maybe TCU as part of the deal we had previously...plus we might get a decent opponent in the Bahamas
Old 07-14-2017, 06:05 AM

Charging a dad and his son for a lower bowl ticket, anywhere from $20-$55 per ticket, to watch them play Delaware, IUPUI and Eastern Illinois is terrible. It is worse to charge those type of prices to season ticket holders and then ask them to pay an additional maintenance fee on top of that.

When they schedule so many non conference home games on Friday nights and Sundays at these prices and against this type of competition, it's easy to see why people are choosing to go to high school games or stay home and watch the NFL.
Old 07-14-2017, 07:30 AM

I saw one mid-major site that listed who has finalized and released their schedules...
and only 30 of roughly 250 mid-majors have done so - so 85-88% of teams like Bradley are in the same boat and can't get the quality of opponents that they are targeting.
Obviously since NCAA has fostered a 2-tier system and allowed the big boys to essentially run their own club - it has really hurt the mid-majors, non-FB schools and smaller schools...
With a few exceptions - pretty much any decision to get a top-100 team on your schedule lies fully in the hands of the big boys - and everyone else has to wait and see what's available..
Almost all of the MVC teams that are getting quality games - are doing road guarantee games like Evansville at Duke & ISU at Florida..

But even the fans of the big schools are not happy - since every one of them want to pack a lot of automatic wins onto their early non-conference schedule... and as Bradley gets better - we are seen as a team that just maybe they don't want to play for reasons explained here - the big schools want to stay home and rack up wins but their fans would prefer not to see the low-major auto-win opponents:
https://www.landof10.com/ohio-state/...edule-fix-2017
https://www.blackshoediaries.com/201...y-carr-big-ten

I am content to trust Dr. Reynolds and Brian Wardle to do the best job possible on scheduling...
then JUST GO OUT & WIN - that's the part that's fully in our control!
Old 07-14-2017, 11:11 AM

Yes, I'm sure there are fans that follow the Big Boys that would rather see better non conference games than cupcakes. At least during the conference season, even though their team may be towards the bottom of the league, they still get to see some of the best teams in the country at home.

We lost Creighton and now Wichita from our home conference schedule. I don't think it's asking too much to schedule non conference home games against better teams. I couldn't imagine paying $1,000 plus a maintenance fee per seat to sit in the few rows at court side to watch this schedule. There were a lot of empty seats in that area last year. I think you'll see the same if not worse this year. I sure hope Reynolds can improve it in the future. Bradley fans are pretty smart basketball fans. Not all of them are lawyers, doctors, insurance agents, etc. that have readily available money for entertainment purposes. Weak non conference sch filing will kill upper bowl sales.
Old 07-14-2017, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vent View Post
... I couldn't imagine paying $1,000 plus a maintenance fee per seat to sit in the few rows at court side to watch this schedule. ...
well, with this I agree and so do a lot of other people...

almost everyone I know in the first couple rows has been ticked about that massive price jack and cash-grab by Mike Cross a few years back, and only their incredible loyalty and dedication have kept them there...although many others have cut back their voluntary giving if the maintenance is $1000 per seat.
It is one of the major reasons the Braves Scholarship Society, which was at one time pushing 60-70 members - is now back down in the 20-30 member range..
BUT also, many have moved out of those front rows- and thus they are quite empty at times - a very bad look to the TV audiences.

I can't blame Dr. Chris Reynolds for that bad move- but I bet he's given some thought to how damaging that was ticking off many of Bradley's longest, most loyal followers and triggering them to give up their seats or move up and out of the lower bowl seats.

But - here's proof how much just a MODESTLY successful run can mean in improving things...and sadly - this would have been us!
They weren't even Division I a few years back and now they raise $5 million in donations a year and skyrocketing....while our Athletic donations fell to a HISTORIC LOW under Joanne Glasser & Mike Cross (less than $1 mil) - LINK - LINK - LINK
Old 07-14-2017, 05:39 PM

Default One Good Reason

Jim Les
Old 07-15-2017, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tornado View Post
well, with this I agree and so do a lot of other people...

almost everyone I know in the first couple rows has been ticked about that massive price jack and cash-grab by Mike Cross a few years back, and only their incredible loyalty and dedication have kept them there...although many others have cut back their voluntary giving if the maintenance is $1000 per seat.
It is one of the major reasons the Braves Scholarship Society, which was at one time pushing 60-70 members - is now back down in the 20-30 member range..
BUT also, many have moved out of those front rows- and thus they are quite empty at times - a very bad look to the TV audiences.

I can't blame Dr. Chris Reynolds for that bad move- but I bet he's given some thought to how damaging that was ticking off many of Bradley's longest, most loyal followers and triggering them to give up their seats or move up and out of the lower bowl seats.

But - here's proof how much just a MODESTLY successful run can mean in improving things...and sadly - this would have been us!
They weren't even Division I a few years back and now they raise $5 million in donations a year and skyrocketing....while our Athletic donations fell to a HISTORIC LOW under Joanne Glasser & Mike Cross (less than $1 mil) - LINK - LINK - LINK

All they have to do is reduce the price and maintenance fee for the court side seats.
Old 07-19-2017, 09:11 AM

ISU plays in the Puerto Rico Shootout but that tourney just took a hit..
Florida State dropped out and is replaced by Appalachian State..
https://www.fanragsports.com/news/ap...rico-shootout/

btw-- Appalachian State just lost one of their best returning players to transfer..
a prolific 3-pt shooter - 41%
https://twitter.com/bretstrelow/stat...81323019776002

Last edited by tornado; 07-19-2017 at 12:57 PM.
Old 07-26-2017, 02:45 PM

Nice draw for Illinois State

the Puerto Rico Tip Off pairing were just released...

Illinois State gets USC (2017 FINAL FOUR PARTICIPANT South Carolina Gamecocks) in the first game..
Thursday, Nov. 16 at 11:30am!

Old 08-01-2017, 12:40 PM

Lewis releases their schedule and play ISU in exhibition - they also play Northwestern in a regular season game
http://www.lewisflyers.com/schedule.aspx?path=mbball
Old 08-01-2017, 07:16 PM

Indiana State will open at Indiana
Old 08-01-2017, 07:36 PM

Indiana State also gets some decent games in the Charleston Classic

http://www.gosycamores.com/documents...ic_Bracket.pdf
Old 08-01-2017, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isufan View Post
Indiana State will open at Indiana
November 10 - Opening game for both teams.
Old 08-02-2017, 11:32 AM

ISU released their non-conference schedule
http://goredbirds.com/news/2017/8/2/...-schedule.aspx

(Home games in BOLD)

11/5/2017 Lewis (Exhibition) Normal, Ill.

11/11/2017 Florida Gulf Coast Fort Myers, Fla.

Puerto Rico Tip-Off
11/16/2017 South Carolina Fajardo, Puerto Rico
11/17/2017 Boise State or UTEP Fajardo, Puerto Rico
11/19/2017 TBD Fajardo, Puerto Rico

11/22/2017 Quincy Normal, Ill.
11/25/2017 Charleston Southern Normal, Ill.

Mountain West/Missouri Valley Challenge
11/29/2017 Nevada Reno, Nev.

12/2/2017 Tulsa Normal, Ill.
12/6/2017 BYU Provo, Utah
12/9/2017 Murray State Normal, Ill.
12/16/2017 Ole Miss Oxford, Miss.
12/19/2017 UIC Normal, Ill.

They have a VERY tough road schedule but a chance to build a strong RPI vs. FGCU, Nevada, BYU, Ole Miss & the Puerto Rico Tip Off opponents

***addendum- amazing how much blowback there's been regarding ISU's really abysmal home slate..
people predicting huge attendance slide with such no-name and DII draws..

Last edited by tornado; 08-02-2017 at 05:21 PM.
Old 08-09-2017, 01:13 PM

Illinois State will host St. Louis University in a preseason closed scrimmage
Old 08-14-2017, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Coach View Post
Northern Iowa just released their non-conference schedule. They play a road game at national power North Carolina as the final game in a 2 for 1 deal that started with the 2015 game which UNI won.
They also play 3 games in the tough Battle for Atlantis in Nassau, Bahamas, a game against Iowa State at a neutral site (Des Moines)....

Nov. 22-24 Battle 4 Atlantis at Nassau, Bahamas (schedule TBA- other teams include Arizona, Villanova, Pursue, NC State, Tennessee, SMU, and Western Kentucky)
The pairings for the Battle for Atlantis were released, and Northern Iowa will play SMU in their first game. It will be a rematch of a former MVC coach Tim Jankovich against long time MVC coach Ben Jacobson.
They will then be matched against the winner/loser of the Arizona-N.C. State game.

Old 08-14-2017, 01:21 PM

great- a winnable game vs. SMU - with SMU coming off the loss of arguably their 3 best players..
Old 08-15-2017, 06:57 AM

Quote:
ISU released their non-conference schedule
http://goredbirds.com/news/2017/8/2/...-schedule.aspx

(Home games in BOLD)

11/5/2017 Lewis (Exhibition) Normal, Ill.

11/11/2017 Florida Gulf Coast Fort Myers, Fla.

Puerto Rico Tip-Off
11/16/2017 South Carolina Fajardo, Puerto Rico
11/17/2017 Boise State or UTEP Fajardo, Puerto Rico
11/19/2017 TBD Fajardo, Puerto Rico

11/22/2017 Quincy Normal, Ill.
11/25/2017 Charleston Southern Normal, Ill.

Mountain West/Missouri Valley Challenge
11/29/2017 Nevada Reno, Nev.

12/2/2017 Tulsa Normal, Ill.
12/6/2017 BYU Provo, Utah
12/9/2017 Murray State Normal, Ill.
12/16/2017 Ole Miss Oxford, Miss.
12/19/2017 UIC Normal, Ill.

They have a VERY tough road schedule but a chance to build a strong RPI vs. FGCU, Nevada, BYU, Ole Miss & the Puerto Rico Tip Off opponents

***addendum- amazing how much blowback there's been regarding ISU's really abysmal home slate..
people predicting huge attendance slide with such no-name and DII draws..
In my opinion ISU has a better non conference home schedule than us.
Old 08-15-2017, 11:01 AM

Samford plays both Loyola and Valpo - LINK

Canisius has Evansville - LINK

Minnesota hosts Drake - LINK

Quinnipiac also likely getting Drake - LINK

Last edited by tornado; 08-15-2017 at 03:56 PM.
Old 08-15-2017, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Samford plays both Loyola and Valpo - LINK

Canisius has Evansville - LINK

Minnesota hosts Drake - LINK

http://www.twincities.com/2017/08/15...ence-schedule/

Go Back   BradleyFans.com Forums > Sports Forums > Basketball Fan talk