Go Back   BradleyFans.com Forums > Sports Forums > Basketball Fan talk

Old 06-09-2017, 10:59 AM

Default Non-conference schedules

Northern Iowa just released their non-conference schedule. They play a road game at national power North Carolina as the final game in a 2 for 1 deal that started with the 2015 game which UNI won.
They also play 3 games in the tough Battle for Atlantis in Nassau, Bahamas, a game against Iowa State at a neutral site (Des Moines).
But, that game at UNC is their only true road game among their 12 non-conference games.
Otherwise, their other 7 non-conference games are all at home.
UNLV, UT-Arlington, and Xavier are 3 good home games.
They have 4 cupcakes at home, too- an exhibition game against North Carolina-Pembroke, Alcorn State, Division III Wartburg, Chicago State, and Division III University of Dubuque.
I am not sure I've ever seen an MVC play 2 Division III teams in the same season.

2017-18 UNI Non-conference Schedule-
http://unipanthers.com/schedule.aspx...74&path=mbball

Nov. 5 - vs. UNC-Pembroke (exh),
Nov. 10 - at North Carolina
Nov. 13 - vs. Alcorn St.
Nov. 15 - vs. Wartburg
Nov. 18 - vs. Chicago St.
Nov. 22-24 Battle 4 Atlantis at Nassau, Bahamas (schedule TBA- other teams include Arizona, Villanova, Pursue, NC State, Tennessee, SMU, and Western Kentucky)
Nov. 29 - vs. UNLV
Dec. 7 - vs. UT-Arlington
Dec. 10 -vs. Dubuque
Dec. 16 - vs. Iowa St. at Des Moines
Dec. 22 - vs. Xavier
Old 06-09-2017, 02:45 PM

Ken Kavanagh at FGCU just posted their 2017-18 non-conference schedule...
they open at HOME against Illinois State - Sat. Nov. 11
http://www.fgcuathletics.com/schedule.aspx?path=mbball
Old 06-09-2017, 03:23 PM

Interesting. Nice find. It seems you scooped everyone over at Redbirdland.

Although one of their posters wanted to see FGCU added to the MVC to replace Wichita State!-
http://www.redbirdfan.net/forum/view...+coast#p210345

And another ISU poster was hoping they could schedule a game at FGCU. Maybe they wanted a reason to take a nice winter vacation?-
http://www.redbirdfan.net/forum/view...+coast#p211807
Old 06-09-2017, 03:46 PM

For the record, FGCU is coming off the best season in their history. They went 26-8 overall, and 12-2 to win the Atlantic Sun Conference. They swept through the A-Sun tournament winning all 3 of their games by an average margin of over 19 points, and made the NCAA tournament with their conference's automatic bid.

They return their top 2 scorers, 3 of their top 4. They only lost 2 of their top 12 rostered players from last year. Their top scorer, and one of the top college point guards in the country, Brandon Goodwin, applied for the NBA Draft, but withdrew and is returning to school for his senior year. He averaged 18.5 ppg, 4.5 rpg, and 4.1 apg last season, and is likely to be the pick for the Preseason Player of the Year in the Atlantic Sun Conference.
And they replace their 2 graduating senior big men with a couple pretty good big kids coming off redshirt years, plus several decent recruits, including Brady Ernst, another pretty good big man that was once a Bradley recruit.

They are extremely tough to beat at home (75-13, 0.852 winning pct. over the past 5 seasons), and they will be the pick to win the Atlantic Sun Conference again in 2017-18.
Old 06-09-2017, 05:56 PM

I went to an FGCU game last December when we were down in Ft. Myers...
they pack the place, fans are raucous & loud, their team would crush 2/3 of the MVC, and they really put on a show.
They truly have become BIG-TIME in a hurry under their current staff..

Since their 2011-12 season when Ken Kavanagh made the hire of Andy Enfield, they have averaged 23.4 wins per season, they have FIVE consecutive post-season appearances, and have made 3 NCAA runs including one Sweet Sixteen.
Can hardly deny they hired a genius for their AD - he's won the National AD of the Year twice.

One more thing- they just completed a massively successful fund drive & are completing a $150 million expansion of their Alico Arena.
Old 06-14-2017, 06:34 PM

Evansville will play a non-conference game at Duke on December 20.
http://www.gopurpleaces.com/news/201...cember-20.aspx
Old 06-20-2017, 10:22 AM

Bad news for Loyola and for the MVC...
Loyola played at NC State last year and had a deal where NC State would come and play this year at LOYOLA...
The game was set for December 2, 2017 - LINK

But apparently the big wigs at NC State don't feel like honoring their word and will reneg on that deal and buy out..
(per report on ESPN)
https://www.reddit.com/r/CollegeBask...uy_out_loyola/
http://www.espn.com/espnradio/chicago/play?id=19684298
Old 06-21-2017, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tornado View Post
Ken Kavanagh at FGCU just posted their 2017-18 non-conference schedule...
they open at HOME against Illinois State - Sat. Nov. 11
http://www.fgcuathletics.com/schedule.aspx?path=mbball
Ken Kavanagh is a genius...
FGCU just added another blockbuster non-conference game to their schedule....they play Wichita State..

Now they have SIX non-conference games against TOP 40 opponents.. - that's more than everyone else in their conference combined and as many as everyone in the MVC as well
http://fgcuathletics.com/news/2017/6...-schedule.aspx
Old 06-27-2017, 06:02 PM

wow - Northern Iowa gets a HOME GAME with Xavier!
http://www.cincinnati.com/story/spor...ule/433454001/
Old 06-27-2017, 08:02 PM

UNI played at Xavier last year and got clobbered.
http://unipanthers.com/news/2016/11/...px?path=mbball

In fact, they played Xavier twice last season in successive games. The first was in the championship game of the Tire Pros Invitational tournament in Orlando, Florida on 11/20/16, then they played in Cincinnati on 11/26/16. UNI lost both games.
http://unipanthers.com/schedule.aspx...62&path=mbball
Old 07-12-2017, 11:10 AM

ISU gets a road game at BYU
http://byucougars.com/m-basketball/b...rence-schedule

they might have a pretty decent sc hedule when all gets done...
"The Redbirds open the season Nov. 11 at Florida Gulf Coast.
ISU travels to Nevada for the Mountain West/MVC Challenge
on Nov. 29 and will play at Mississippi on Dec. 16.
ISU will be home against Tulsa, Murray State and UIC with the
dates to be announced.
The Redbirds also are in the Puerto Rico Tip-Off on Nov. 16, 17 and 19."
Old 07-12-2017, 11:26 AM

Exclamation Non-Conference Schedule

Somehow, we must find a way (ways) to significantly upgrade our non-conference schedule. Clearly ours is weak and affect us adversely in numerous ways including game attendance, fan interest, recruiting, RPI, and ultimately, our chances for post season tournaments including the NCAA and NIT. This must happen if Bradley Basketball is to grow into a national Mid-Major power.
Wizard
Old 07-12-2017, 12:16 PM

wiz- I think we have the right people in charge

Here's a comparison using historical RPI data.......

In the 2-year Chris Reynolds/Brian Wardle era:
Top 120 RPI non-conference opponents: 11
240+ RPI non-conference opponents: 5

In the 2-years BEFORE the Chris Reynolds/Brian Wardle era:
Top 120 RPI non-conference opponents : 6
240+ RPI non-conference opponents: 10 (18 overall!)

In the ONE year before that under Mike Cross/Geno Ford that was set up as easy to get 18 wins and a buy game in the CIT:
Top 120 RPI non-conference opponents : 1 (only one RPI better than 150!!)
240+ RPI non-conference opponents:7
Old 07-12-2017, 01:39 PM

t..... I agree with you. We have absolutely great people in charge and overall, they are doing a great job of rebuilding Bradley Basketball. I realize that it is difficult to "turn the corner" quickly on every aspect of our BB program rebuild.
My only concern is are we doing everything possible to beef up the schedule? Is our strategy and focus correct or do we need to "rebalance" our approach to scheduling? What are other mid major schools doing to strengthen their schedules? What is working for them? How are we allocating our time (and travel) to open doors and create relationships that could result in a stronger schedule? Are we allocating enough resources to develop a stronger schedule?
Wizard
Old 07-12-2017, 09:35 PM

I'm not scared.

Build it and they will come.
Old 07-13-2017, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard View Post
t.....
My only concern is are we doing everything possible to beef up the schedule? ...What are other mid major schools doing to strengthen their schedules?
well, first - they are all having trouble getting people to play them ...
I have posted several articles on how they can't get anyone decent to play them anywhere...

did you notice that 9 of the 10 MVC schools (and about 3/4 of all midmajors) have NOT YET got their non-conference schedules done - they are all still trying to get games even tho we used to get the non-conference slate done every year in June.

..and many schools are adding DII's and DIII's because it is the only thing they can do - but didn't the whole fan base object pretty loudly to that - when we scheduled Eureka College??
Old 07-13-2017, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard View Post
t..... I agree with you. We have absolutely great people in charge and overall, they are doing a great job of rebuilding Bradley Basketball. I realize that it is difficult to "turn the corner" quickly on every aspect of our BB program rebuild.
My only concern is are we doing everything possible to beef up the schedule? Is our strategy and focus correct or do we need to "rebalance" our approach to scheduling? What are other mid major schools doing to strengthen their schedules? What is working for them? How are we allocating our time (and travel) to open doors and create relationships that could result in a stronger schedule? Are we allocating enough resources to develop a stronger schedule?
Wizard
I know a couple of weeks ago I was talking to an Ass't coach, who has nothing to do w/ scheduling, but did say they were working to add one more game and really were trying to add a quality opponent. He did mention that teams realize BU is getting better and not the easy win we were for a while. He said that some of the better teams aren't quite as eager to play us as they once were.
Of course that should give us hope as that should mean we are going in the right direction
Old 07-13-2017, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by basketball nut View Post
I know a couple of weeks ago I was talking to an Ass't coach, who has nothing to do w/ scheduling, but did say they were working to add one more game and really were trying to add a quality opponent. He did mention that teams realize BU is getting better and not the easy win we were for a while. He said that some of the better teams aren't quite as eager to play us as they once were.
Of course that should give us hope as that should mean we are going in the right direction
I am sure that is a factor, but there were 219 schools who had RPI's better than Bradley last year. Sure, the top 50-60 can afford to pay teams to come into their arenas to play, but the others, mostly mid-majors, manage get a few decent teams to play them at home. So fans would like to see a couple quality teams on the home schedule each year. But that has not happened in most of the recent seasons.
There have been extremely few real quality opponents that appeared on the home non-conference schedule since 2010. Maybe that reflected the previous AD's scheduling philosophy, but it contributed a lot to the declining attendance.
For the record, the last home games vs. major-level teams (from the Power 6 conferences) were TCU (last place team in the Big 12) and Mississippi (middle of the SEC) in 2015-16, and then you have to go all the way back to 12/1/2012 vs. Michigan.
Nevada last year (RPI 29- played on 12/3/16)) was a quality home non-conference opponent, though technically a mid-major, but Bradley did not actually schedule that game. It was assigned as part of the MWC-MVC Challenge. And the Texas-Arlingont team turned out to be a quality opponent who ended last season with an RPI of 45.

Since 2010, here are the only home non-conference opponents that finished in the top 100 RPI-
2010-11 None
2011-12 None
2012-13 Michigan RPI 21
2013-14 None
2014-15 Central Michigan 70
2015-16 Mississippi RPI 97
2016-17 Nevada RPI 29, Texas-Arlington RPI 45

Last year was the first time since 2007-08 with more than one top 100 RPI home opponent, so congratulations to the new AD and coaches, but again, only the Texas Arlington game was scheduled by Bradley.
Old 07-13-2017, 05:09 PM

Loyola with a Dec. 6 game at Florida
http://floridagators.com/schedule.as...basketball-men

a buy game?
Old 07-13-2017, 05:39 PM

ISU appears to have pretty decent non conference schedule.

Something doesn't make sense. ISU has been a better basketball team than us for a few years now. They have a better non conference schedule than us. Now, since we appear to be getting closer to .500 basketball, it is getting harder find teams to play us.

So ISU can be pretty good and have a pretty decent non conference schedule. We are getting better so schools don't want to play us. Sounds like excuses to me.

For the amount of money Bradley fans pay for season tickets, maintenance fees and individual game tickets, we deserve a better non conference schedule. It appears to me we may be scheduling weak opponents so we can get wins. I know we aren't going to get top 50 teams or maybe even top 75 teams to play us. But it is a bunch of bunk that we can't get teams in the top 150 to play.

Go Back   BradleyFans.com Forums > Sports Forums > Basketball Fan talk