Go Back   BradleyFans.com Forums > Sports Forums > Basketball Fan talk

Old 10-09-2017, 02:33 PM

Default Superfan gone

I didn't see this discussed here yet, but I was sad to hear about this. will miss this guy. I talked to him several times and I thought he was just plain awesome:

http://www.pjstar.com/sports/2017100...-super-soprano
Old 10-09-2017, 02:49 PM

I never got to know him very well but sat next to him several times and chatted - seemed to me like kind of a quiet guy other than the roar...
Old 10-09-2017, 02:50 PM

Default Wont Read

Thanks for letting us all know about Superfan. I saw who wrote the article, so I refused to read it.
Old 10-09-2017, 03:04 PM

Yeah - I almost placed a disclaimer next to the link...
BEWARE, WESSLER CONTENT
Old 10-09-2017, 04:51 PM

disclaimer- Wessler is capable of writing some good stuff about the good things in the Bradley basketball program, but for some reason he (and even DR) has chosen not to for a couple years...but he also never did when JL was coach...

Here we are on the verge of what could be the best season for Bradley basketball since 2010, and ......crickets....nothing....nothing at all when we used to get glowing., praise-filled fluff all the time this time of year when Geno was coach...
But he has revealed in his own words what his reasons are....
he soured on Jim Les even before Les' year two was over and he began beating the drum to get Les fired then "dropped the critical hammer" and turned really negative by 2005 - even tho Bradley was a Sweet Sixteen team within a year!!

I know he was at that first Bradley practice a week ago because he was in the videos, and he could even be seen interviewing players, yet he's written nothing.

Last edited by tornado; 10-09-2017 at 06:28 PM.
Old 10-09-2017, 06:18 PM

Default Didnt Read

Thanks for adding that, T. I think Jim Les was great for Bradley and I hear that he was pushed out. Look at how he has done at UCDavis. He was a great player and great coach. I like Coach Wardle too. I think that it is possible that, if we had kept Coach Les, we would not have sunk so low that so many loyal season ticket holders abandoned us. Who knows? I will read anything from Dave Reynolds. I have met him and he is a good guy. I simply wont read a thing from you know who. I am behind Coach Wardle. I think he is going to bring us back. I follow the team now because I have hope. Under the previous regime in total, it was a terrible time for Bradley BB. Just TERRIBLE. Go Braves, Go Coach Wardle and company and go Chris Reynolds!!
Old 10-09-2017, 06:31 PM

Disclaimer: I dropped my subscription to the PJStar 6 months ago so I don't really give a hoot what they write...

But - Bradley is the only Valley team that has no fair or positive home coverage...it is constantly negative...
we haven't had good, positive, fair press since Kenny Jones ran the Sports Department...
Lien, Theobald, Wessler - all of them hated Bradley or the personnel we had there....and tried to attack at every opportunity.
Like I said - the press in every other MVC city is fair and highlights positives as well as negatives...

Even when we had the best year Bradley has had in at least a decade - in 2006 - just as soon as we were knocked out of the Sweet Sixteen, Wessler wrote a hit piece demanding why we don't do this every year?

he "dropped his critical hammer" to get Les out and bring in Joanne's hand picked crew - then suddenly found out that he was backing a bunch of absolute clowns who didn't know how to run an athletic department--
By 2015, of course even Kirk knew how wrong he had been and how disastrous his guys were, but of course would never admit it.

Last edited by tornado; 10-10-2017 at 05:18 AM.
Old 10-09-2017, 08:50 PM

I met Jay as a student going to games. He was always fun to chat with and he had a great time at games. He also loved high school hoops and I remember him talking about that as well. I remember about 5 years ago lost a lot of weight just by running around a court and shooting baskets by himself. He loved the game. Other than his signature holler, he was pretty quite, but opened up if you stuck up a conversation with him.

Yeah...I've been in college for a while now and I'm pretty sure that awesomest is not a word. -Andrew E.
Old 10-10-2017, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tornado View Post
disclaimer- Wessler is capable of writing some good stuff about the good things in the Bradley basketball program, but for some reason he (and even DR) has chosen not to for a couple years...but he also never did when JL was coach...

Here we are on the verge of what could be the best season for Bradley basketball since 2010, and ......crickets....nothing....nothing at all when we used to get glowing., praise-filled fluff all the time this time of year when Geno was coach...
But he has revealed in his own words what his reasons are....
he soured on Jim Les even before Les' year two was over and he began beating the drum to get Les fired then "dropped the critical hammer" and turned really negative by 2005 - even tho Bradley was a Sweet Sixteen team within a year!!

I know he was at that first Bradley practice a week ago because he was in the videos, and he could even be seen interviewing players, yet he's written nothing.
It goes back even further than that. He was against the hire from the start, then off the record would give all credit to Chuck Buescher for the 2006 run.
Old 10-10-2017, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buesch N Chips View Post
It goes back even further than that. He was against the hire from the start, then off the record would give all credit to Chuck Buescher for the 2006 run.

Well I wouldn't give all the credit to CB but he deserves some as does JL for the season and the run......sometimes all the pieces are needed to be successful......I know a high school team that went to state that I believe(and many others) would not have got there without the assistant coach.
Old 10-10-2017, 10:44 AM

Reminds me of when Tony Barone was an assistant at Bradley. The ones who disliked Dick Versace used to want to give Tony most of the credit. But the season Dick made the mistake of going 32-3, which got him fired,Tony was, I believe, in his first year as the Creighton coach. Not a knock on Tony, just telling it like it is.
Old 10-10-2017, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico View Post
Reminds me of when Tony Barone was an assistant at Bradley. The ones who disliked Dick Versace used to want to give Tony most of the credit. But the season Dick made the mistake of going 32-3, which got him fired,Tony was, I believe, in his first year as the Creighton coach. Not a knock on Tony, just telling it like it is.
You are correct. Tony Barone was a good coach, but he left Bradley after the 1984-85 season to take the head coaching job at Creighton. When Bradley went 32-3 in 1985-86, Tony was at Creighton. Tony was not the only assistant coach to leave after the 1984-85 season. Brad Dunn also left.
Dick was primarily responsible for the coaching that year, and he was also the primary recruiter while he was at Bradley.
Dick had a very inexperienced staff that year. His assistants in 1985-86 were Rudy Keeling in his 6th year as an assistant with Dick, Tom Massimino who was just hired that season and it was his first full time assistant coaching job, and Willie Cox, who also was in his first season as a full time assistant coach. Willie had served as a part-time grad assistant for 2 seasons prior to being hired as assistant coach.
Anyone who said Dick didn't know basketball or couldn't coach is either ignorant or stupid.
Old 10-10-2017, 01:28 PM

omg- there have been clueless critics for years trying to demean the accomplishments of Bradley's coaches...

Phil Theobald suggested Molinari was a doofus and that the loss of Rob Judson hurt him...

Wessler said Wayne McClain would have made Molinari's teams much more successful and would have been a better choice than Jim Les in 2002...

Then there were bozos who claimed Les wouldn't be able to win without Al Biancalana on the staff - then Al quit and all Les did was win 86 games over the next 4 years, go to the post-season all four years, make it to the Sweet Sixteen, and win TEN post-season games...the only thing that could stop that streak was Joanne Glasser hijacking the basketball program and hiring her own crew...
Old 10-10-2017, 02:25 PM

Guys... this was supposed to be about the Super Fan. We are facing an upcoming Bradley season without Super Fan.
Old 10-10-2017, 06:38 PM

Superfan was a fan of the team & supported them thick & thin and we're running out of fans like that
Old 10-12-2017, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub View Post
Guys... this was supposed to be about the Super Fan. We are facing an upcoming Bradley season without Super Fan.
Agree 100%. A good man is gone and people on this board are complaining about the writer. RIP big guy. Going to miss you.
Old 10-12-2017, 04:06 PM

Yes- it has been a rough past 3-4 years with the loss of a whole lot of great, lifelong Bradley fans...

So many of the people in my section have passed the last few years...Pete Vonachen, Gary Sandberg, Dale Burklund, Robert McCord then Michel McCord, Bob Carney plus we've lost Frank Bussone, Bruce Saurs, Jay, Nick Adkins, Bud Stone, John Gardner, Larry Dunn and that's not counting the ones who have moved to Florida & elsewhere....

Gotta get some good, younger fans to build the fan base back up...
Old Yesterday, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tornado View Post
Disclaimer: I dropped my subscription to the PJStar 6 months ago so I don't really give a hoot what they write........
well, I see I am not alone....

a recent story says...
"ABC, New York Times, and Other Media Giants Hurting: Face Layoffs and Revenue Decline"

Mainstream media broadcasters are facing a massive decline in revenue, and some, such as ABC, are now facing huge layoffs.

Major newspapers are suffering. Some, such as the Baltimore City Paper, have shut down entirely.

....both revenue and circulation are rapidly declining for U.S. newspapers.
The New York Times is laying off droves of employees
...journalism and broadcasting has “hurt its own credibility.”
Newspapers and broadcasters have become increasingly biased, and their presumptions have cost them their reputations.

Remember the fall of Brian Williams?

of significant interest is that people place no more credibility in the "mainstream media & journalism" than they do in what they read in blogs and on message boards!!!
Is that amazing or what? With all the resources they have available to them, the major media outlets have so regularly published biased and false information that people trust what they read on alternative web sites like blogs & message boards as reliably as what the read in the newspapers
- in fact -- the bloggers & independent voices are literally being called "the new media"!
Old Yesterday, 04:07 PM

To go along with that Harvey Weinstein was able to squash The New York Times story about him because of his power and money for their advertising. The Media is always screaming about " Freedom of the Press". Is that Freedom of the Press? It is more like Censorship. They dug their own grave. A friend of mine from Pekin got his home hit by that tornado 3 years ago and his Homeowners insurance refused to pay. He asked the Peoria Journal Star to do a news story on them. They refused..Insurance is major advertising dollars for them

Go Back   BradleyFans.com Forums > Sports Forums > Basketball Fan talk