Go Back   BradleyFans.com Forums > Sports Forums > General Sports discussions

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-27-2017, 05:07 PM
bigjimmy's Avatar
bigjimmy bigjimmy is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Peoria, Il
Posts: 1,107
Default Men's and Woman's golf teams

The men's and women's golf teams have had good starts to their seasons as each squad has played twice this month. The women played at the D. A. Weibring course in Normal in the Redbird Invitational on the 11th and the 12th and placed 2nd out of 12 teams with a team score if 915. Senior Ally Scaccia won by 5 shots as she shot a 1 under 215 for 54 holes. The next best scores were from Jr. Frankie Savanna and Soph. Taylor Ledwein who tied for 18th with a 233. On the 18th and 19th they played at the Cardinal Classic in Yorktown, Indiana and finished 2nd out of 19 teams shooting a school record 876. They had rounds of 284, a school record, 292 and 300. Scaccio shot a 220 and tied for 8th while Satan, and Jrs. Brooke Thompson and Chloe Horton all tied for 12th with a score of 221. They play next in Columbia, Missouri on October 2 and 3.
The men's team played in the Crusader Classic in Chesterton, Indiana on the 5th and 6th and placed 2nd out of 4 teams with a 54 hole score of 918. Sr. and Illini Golf's Ethan Brue defended his title shooting a 219 to win by 2. The AC Central/ICC grad tied the school record with his 4th 1st place finish. Jr. Drake Bushong from Pekin and Soph. Charles Jahn tied for 12th with a 233 and Fresh. Miguel Montolongo of Norte Dame tied for 18th with a 239. Playing as individuals Jr. Michael Mounce of El Paso and Sr. Matthew Specht tied for 3rd with a 224. On the 25th and 26th the men played in the Derek Dolenc Inviational at Gateway National in Madison and once again Brue was victorious and he shot an 8 under 54 hole score of 205, winning by 2 shots. He now holds the school record for wins with 5, he tied the 54 hole record of 8 under par, he's also the 1st player in BU history to have 3 rounds in the 60's and he's shot a school record 10 rounds in the 60's. Jahn was 16th with a 217. They next play at the Firestone Invitational in Akron, Ohio on the 2nd and 3rd. Great start everyone!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09-27-2017, 06:33 PM
Chico Chico is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Peoria-Mesa
Posts: 4,986
Default

Thanks for keeping us up to date Big Jim.
__________________
What part of illegal don't you understand?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-04-2017, 01:16 AM
bigjimmy's Avatar
bigjimmy bigjimmy is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Peoria, Il
Posts: 1,107
Default

Both the Women's and Men's teams were back in action on the 2nd and 3rd. The woman's team finished 7th out of 14 at the Johnie Imes Invitational in Columbia, Missouri as they shot a 54 hole total of 895, the 3rd best in school history. Sr. Ally Scaccia tied for 24th shooting 223, Jrs. Francesca Saban and Brooke Thompson tied for 29th shooting 224 and Soph. Taylor Ledwein tied for 48th shooting 230. Their next tournament is just around the corner as they play this Friday, Saturday and Sunday at the Bettie Lou Evans Invitational in Lexington, Kentucky.

The men's team had some struggles at the Firestone Invitational in Akron, Ohio as they finished 15th out of 16 with a 54 hole total of 902. Sr. Zach Jewell tied for 22nd as he shot a 221, Soph Charles Jahn tied for 38th as he shot a 225 and Sr. Ethan Brue and Jr. Daniel Lansing tied for 64th shooting 230. The ISU Redbirds won the tournmanet shooting a 5 under 859. Their next tournament will be on the 9th and 10th in Overland Park, Kansas in the Bill Ross Intercollegiate.

One additional golf comment. Jeremy Ott, who is the son of BU Hall of famer Bill Ott and the grandson of BU Hall of Famer Buzz Ott, won the Class 1A regional that was held at Coyote Creek. Jeremy, who is a Freshman at Brimfield, shot a 71 to win by 3. I played with Jeremy this summer at Weaver Ridge and I can tell you this young man can play and I think he's only going to get better. Sectionals will be on the 10th at Crane Creek in Kilbourne.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-10-2017, 02:22 AM
bigjimmy's Avatar
bigjimmy bigjimmy is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Peoria, Il
Posts: 1,107
Default

The women's team finished 9th out of 16 teams at the Betty Lou Evans Invite in Lexington, Kentucky on the 8th and the 9th. They had rounds of 305, 301 and 316 for a 54 hole score of 922. This tournament featured 7 teams ranked in the top 80. Taylor Ledwein led the way for BU as she finished T28th with rounds of 76, 75 and 76. It's her 19th straight round under 80 which is 4th all time at BU. Their last tournament this fall is the MVC Preview in Newton, Kansas on October 16 and 17. The men played their first round at the Bill Ross Intercollegiate in Overland Park Kansas on the 9th and are 5th out of 12 teams after the first 2 rounds. They shot scores of 289 and 296 and are 13 shots behind the lead. Matthew Specht had rounds of 71 and 74 to finish tied for 9th. Ethan Brue had rounds of 71 and 78 and is tied for 30th with Zach Jewell who had rounds of 75 and 74. The Mounce brothers also played. Brandon is tied for 13th after rounds of 72 and 74 while Michael is tied for 45th after rounds of 77 and 74. They'll have one more round to play on the 10th.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-11-2017, 12:01 AM
bigjimmy's Avatar
bigjimmy bigjimmy is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Peoria, Il
Posts: 1,107
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjimmy View Post
The men's team played their first round at the Bill Ross Intercollegiate in Overland Park Kansas on the 9th and are 5th out of 12 teams after the first 2 rounds. They shot scores of 289 and 296 and are 13 shots behind the lead. Matthew Specht had rounds of 71 and 74 to finish tied for 9th. Ethan Brue had rounds of 71 and 78 and is tied for 30th with Zach Jewell who had rounds of 75 and 74. The Mounce brothers also played. Brandon is tied for 13th after rounds of 72 and 74 while Michael is tied for 45th after rounds of 77 and 74. They'll have one more round to play on the 10th.
The men's team finished in 5th place today as they shot a 304 for a 54 holes score of 889. Specht was the Braves highest finisher as he shot a final round of 75 to finish tied for 8th at 220. Jewell and Brandon Mounce tied for 24th overall at 225. Zach shot a 76 and Brandon shot a 79. Brue finished one shot back to tie for 35th as he shot a 77 and Michael Mounce tied for 41st as he shot a 76 to finish with 227. The Braves will finish their fall season on the 23rd and 24th at the Little Rock Invitational in Little Rock, Arkansas.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-13-2017, 04:53 PM
Da Coach Da Coach is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Peoria area
Posts: 35,426
Default

Bigjimmy, have you or anyone else heard whether Bradley men's golf is recruiting Tommy Kuhl from Morton High School? He is an incredibly good golfer, maybe among the best there has ever been at his age from our area.

Tommy Kuhl shot a round of 63 today to tie the course record at the Weibring Golf Club in Normal in the 1st round of IHSA Class 2A State Finals (there are 3 classes in boys golf) - 8 birdies and 10 pars. He shot 30 on front nine. The Class 2A Finals conclude tomorrow.
https://twitter.com/hoijim/status/918927396463697930

Kuhl is currently 7 strokes ahead of the nearest competitor. Morton stands in 6th place though there are still some golfers who have not finished yet.
The leaderboard and team standings-
https://www.ihsa.org/SportsActivitie...ob/cleader.htm
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-13-2017, 05:07 PM
Da Coach Da Coach is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Peoria area
Posts: 35,426
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Coach View Post
Bigjimmy, have you or anyone else heard whether Bradley men's golf is recruiting Tommy Kuhl from Morton High School? He is an incredibly good golfer, maybe among the best there has ever been at his age from our area.

Tommy Kuhl shot a round of 63 today to tie the course record at the Weibring Golf Club in Normal in the 1st round of IHSA Class 2A State Finals (there are 3 classes in boys golf) - 8 birdies and 10 pars. He shot 30 on front nine. The Class 2A Finals conclude tomorrow.
https://twitter.com/hoijim/status/918927396463697930

Kuhl is currently 7 strokes ahead of the nearest competitor. Morton stands in 6th place though there are still some golfers who have not finished yet.
The leaderboard and team standings-
https://www.ihsa.org/SportsActivitie...ob/cleader.htm
Tommy Kuhl's round is the best in Illinois Boys state tournament history by 3 strokes. Mason Jacobs of Massac County shot 66 at Prairie Vista in 2005.
https://twitter.com/Pg_Benson/status/918931425788907520
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-13-2017, 11:35 PM
bigjimmy's Avatar
bigjimmy bigjimmy is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Peoria, Il
Posts: 1,107
Default

Da Coach unfortunately Mr. Kuhl will be a freshman at Illinois next season. Their coach Mike Small offered Tommy after his freshman year when he won state. Him and his older brother Pete, who plays for Wisconsin, played in a lot of national tournaments while they were growing up so BU was never on their radar. I think Tommy has a pretty good chance to be the best golfer to ever come out of this area and what makes this so cool is that he's just such a nice and respectful young man. He reminds me of Jordan Spieth. I think you'll see him be a NCAA champion and will play on the PGA tour. He's that good. Morton finished in 6th as they shot 311 as a team. They are 10 back of Arlington Heights St. Viator. In Class 1A at Prairie Vista in Bloomington the only local team is Putnum County as they are in 5th with a 338, 14 shots in back of the leader Port Byron. Senior Brady Kreiter, brother of former state champion, BU golfer and now pro golfer Travis, leads the local contingent as he is tied for 7th as he shot 78 to finish 5 behind the leaders. Senior Issac Ramsey of Peoria Christian is tied for 12th with a 79 and Freshman Jeremy Ott is tied for 27th with an 81. In Class 3A at the Den Pekin had a long day as they finished 12th out of 12 teams.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-14-2017, 03:45 PM
Da Coach Da Coach is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Peoria area
Posts: 35,426
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjimmy View Post
Da Coach unfortunately Mr. Kuhl will be a freshman at Illinois next season. Their coach Mike Small offered Tommy after his freshman year when he won state. Him and his older brother Pete, who plays for Wisconsin, played in a lot of national tournaments while they were growing up so BU was never on their radar. I think Tommy has a pretty good chance to be the best golfer to ever come out of this area and what makes this so cool is that he's just such a nice and respectful young man. He reminds me of Jordan Spieth. I think you'll see him be a NCAA champion and will play on the PGA tour. He's that good. Morton finished in 6th as they shot 311 as a team. They are 10 back of Arlington Heights St. Viator. In Class 1A at Prairie Vista in Bloomington the only local team is Putnum County as they are in 5th with a 338, 14 shots in back of the leader Port Byron. Senior Brady Kreiter, brother of former state champion, BU golfer and now pro golfer Travis, leads the local contingent as he is tied for 7th as he shot 78 to finish 5 behind the leaders. Senior Issac Ramsey of Peoria Christian is tied for 12th with a 79 and Freshman Jeremy Ott is tied for 27th with an 81. In Class 3A at the Den Pekin had a long day as they finished 12th out of 12 teams.
It would have been nice to think he might stay home and play for Bradley. But Illinois is sure getting a good one.
Just to prove yesterday was not a fluke, Tommy Kuhl finished his final round today with a 5 under par 67 to finish the Class 2A tournament with a state record 13 under par for 2 rounds.
https://www.ihsa.org/SportsActivitie...ob/cleader.htm
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-14-2017, 05:23 PM
bigjimmy's Avatar
bigjimmy bigjimmy is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Peoria, Il
Posts: 1,107
Default

BU has had a pretty good run on getting local kids to stay and play for the men's team so I hope it continues. Tommy's 2 round total of 13 under 129 beat the alltime record in all 3 classes by 8 STROKES. He ended up winning by 11 strokes, also an alltime state record. As a team Morton had the 2nd lowest team total today, finishing at +43 and moved up to 4th. In Class 1A Putnum County finished in 10th. Brady Krieter of Brimfield had rounds of 78 and 74 to finish at +8 and tied for 3rd. Issac Ramsey of Peoria Christian had rounds of 79 and 79 to finish at +15 and tied for 15th. Jeremy Ott, son of BU Hall of Famer Bill Ott and grandson of BU Hall of Famer Buzz Ott, had rounds of 81 and 83 to finish at +20 to finish tied for 27th. In Class 3A Pekin stayed in 12th with their lowest finisher being Mason Ghidina who had rounds of 85 and 77 to finish at +18 to finish tied for 39th. Congrats to all!
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 10-14-2017, 05:34 PM
Da Coach Da Coach is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Peoria area
Posts: 35,426
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjimmy View Post
BU has had a pretty good run on getting local kids to stay and play for the men's team so I hope it continues. Tommy's 2 round total of 13 under 129 beat the alltime record in all 3 classes by 8 STROKES. He ended up winning by 11 strokes, also an alltime state record. As a team Morton had the 2nd lowest team total today, finishing at +43 and moved up to 4th. In Class 1A Putnam County finished in 10th. Brady Krieter of Brimfield had rounds of 78 and 74 to finish at +8 and tied for 3rd. Issac Ramsey of Peoria Christian had rounds of 79 and 79 to finish at +15 and tied for 15th. Jeremy Ott, son of BU Hall of Famer Bill Ott and grandson of BU Hall of Famer Buzz Ott, had rounds of 81 and 83 to finish at +20 to finish tied for 27th. In Class 3A Pekin stayed in 12th with their lowest finisher being Mason Ghidina who had rounds of 85 and 77 to finish at +18 to finish tied for 39th. Congrats to all!
Tommy Kuhl actually finished 12 strokes ahead of his nearest competitor in Class 2A-
https://www.ihsa.org/data/gob/2mobile.htm

Congratulations to him and to the Morton boys golf team!

In the large school class 3A, the top score was 3 under for the 2-day finals. So Kuhl's 13 under was 10 strokes better than any individual golfer regardless of class! What an incredible performance. It would be like a kid running the mile race and lapping every other competitor.-
https://www.ihsa.org/SportsActivitie...ob/cleader.htm

His 2-day total of 129 (63+66) obliterated the old state record 2-day total for any class of 137 by 8 strokes!
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 10-18-2017, 01:17 AM
bigjimmy's Avatar
bigjimmy bigjimmy is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Peoria, Il
Posts: 1,107
Default

The women's golf team played in the MVC Preview at Sand Creek Station Golf Course in Newton, Kansas on the 16th and 17th and finished tied for 5th out of 11. The Braves shot a score of 924 to finish 17 shots behind the lead. Ally Scaccia finished tied for 15th after rounds of 74, 76 and 81 to shoot 231. Frankie Saban finished tied for 18th after rounds of 80, 77 and 75 to shoot 232. Taylor Ledwein tied for 20th after rounds of 76, 78, 79 to shoot 233. Chloe Horton tied for 25th after rounds of 77, 77 and 80 to shoot 234and after rounds of 83, 80 and 75 to shoot 238 Brooke Thompson finished tied for 36. The Braves concluded their fall portion of the schedule and will begin the spring part of the schedule in February. Scaccia finished the fall season with the best stroke average at 74.80, followed by Saban at 75.93 and Ledwein with 76.33. Scaccia is currently 3rd on the all time list with 82 career sub-80 rounds while Ledwein is on a streak of 22 straight sub-80 rounds.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   BradleyFans.com Forums > Sports Forums > General Sports discussions



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:11 AM.
vBulletin Skins by: Skins-N-Styles.com
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
BradleyFans.com is not affiliated with Bradley University