Go Back   BradleyFans.com Forums > Sports Forums > Basketball Fan talk

Old 12-26-2017, 04:14 PM

Default MVC Player of the Week and Newcomer of the Week

Alize Johnson is the Payer of the Week, and Milik Yarbrough is the Newcomer of the Week.
http://mvc-sports.com/news/2017/12/2...es-dec-26.aspx

Missouri State and Illinois State were the oly 2 teams to play and win conference games so far.
Old 01-02-2018, 04:25 AM

because of the holiday the weekly awards are delayed 'til Tuesday but....

The Player of the Week has to be Darrell Brown, Jr....! I know they have a history of NOT giving the award to players whose teams failed to win both games...but it really comes down to ... Brown or Yarbrough.
Alize Johnson & Reed Timmer are also both in the running.

But if Yarbrough wins, then he'd be the Newcomer also - so the MVC gets a little broader press for it's guys by giving DB the POW & Yarbrough the NOW
Old 01-02-2018, 08:41 AM

I was down on Yarbrough when he was benched earlier in the season, but his versatility is amazing. He had a superb game against Indiana State in terms of scoring, rebounding, assists, and critical blocks. It remains to be seen if any team in the Valley can stop him from having a productive game.

Brown did play well against Northern Iowa. A good measure will be his play against quicker, taller guards and more effective, extended zone defenses.

A huge help for both Bradley and the Redbirds would be more production out of Bar and NíDiaye, respectively. Neither appear to be scoring threats and NíDiaye is injury prone. I think Childs is a good recruit for Bradley as a scorer and to complement Donte as another rebounder.
Old 01-02-2018, 10:01 AM

Yarbrough is a talented kid. He reminds me a little of Marcellus Sommerville, a threat from outside, and at the basket that teams had trouble matching up against. I think Bradley might have better luck defending Yarbrough than Evansville and Indiana State did, since both those teams lack athletic guys with the size to defend someone like him. Next up for ISU is a game at Drake, and Drake has probably the least athleticism and size of any MVC team. Somehow ISU got a bit lucky with the start of their schedule playing against the 3 teams picked at the bottom of the league. Fayne and Yarbrough should put up good numbers at Drake.
Old 01-02-2018, 11:47 AM

Good comparison Coach. Somerville was a fine player and has been successful as a professional.
Old 01-02-2018, 11:51 AM

Greg Lansing looked frustrated Sunday with the officials. Yarbrough's ability to get going downhill and create contact was a problem.
Old 01-02-2018, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Coach View Post
I think Bradley might have better luck defending Yarbrough than Evansville and Indiana State did, since both those teams lack athletic guys with the size to defend someone like him.
Just curious who is the athletic guy with size (as you imply above) on the Braves that might have better luck defending against Yarbrough? Or are you referring to the collective BU team defense as opposed to one guy?
Dinma Odiakosa 6'8 255......The Nigerian Nightmare!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 37 points and 27 boards in 2 wins over Bradley. "Will Egolf is 6'9 and he had 4 rebounds. That's not good enough and he's not good enough"....Dick Versace 2/9/10
Old 01-02-2018, 02:12 PM

Bradley's defense has been one of our key factors....
Yarbrough is getting to the hoop well against most defenses, but then so was UNI's Player of the Year candidate and top scorer Bennett Koch (26 pts against #8 ranked Xavier)...
But Bradley's defense both inside & out held Koch to just 5 pts & 3 reb...
We also held Drake's two top scorers well under their averages but our poor shooting & turnovers prevented us from capitalizing
Old 01-02-2018, 02:36 PM

Iíll give you two Childs and Thomas with Bar protecting the rim. Rotation and active hands have been good. We should only improve too. Thatís the best part of where we are.
Old 01-02-2018, 02:36 PM

If you think Bennett Koch and Milik Yarbrough are similar players then you are very confused.
Old 01-02-2018, 02:41 PM

Yarbrough sweeps MVC awards for 2nd time.
Old 01-02-2018, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvcfan View Post
If you think Bennett Koch and Milik Yarbrough are similar players then you are very confused.
I am not very confused, and if you think I said they are similar players then you are very confused
Old 01-02-2018, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradleyfan1 View Post
Iíll give you two Childs and Thomas with Bar protecting the rim.
That's who I thought might be suggested. Seems like a tough draw for a true frosh and it seems Thomas is more comfortable guarding closer to the basket from what I've seen. I guess we will see.

Lots of basketball to be played before the first game.
Dinma Odiakosa 6'8 255......The Nigerian Nightmare!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 37 points and 27 boards in 2 wins over Bradley. "Will Egolf is 6'9 and he had 4 rebounds. That's not good enough and he's not good enough"....Dick Versace 2/9/10
Old 01-02-2018, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YATittle View Post
Yarbrough sweeps MVC awards for 2nd time.
Here is the weekly MVC Notebook-
http://www.mvc-sports.com/documents/...J2.pdf?id=1191
Old 01-02-2018, 04:33 PM

Congrats to him. Db will get a few of these before heís done.

Maybe DLO will guard him on the perimeter and switch in side. Iím sure BW and co will have a plan.
Old 01-02-2018, 06:15 PM

Keyshawn Evans was said to have a “a sprained knee/bone bruise” and plans were for him to be out 1 to 3 weeks.
But some sprains & bone bruises can be way worse than others.....I am reminded of a few that turned out to be a lot of trouble or had more damage that first thought...Josh Dotzler, Sam Maniscalco, Greg Oden..
Old 01-04-2018, 03:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyCooksey View Post
Just curious who is the athletic guy with size (as you imply above) on the Braves that might have better luck defending against Yarbrough? Or are you referring to the collective BU team defense as opposed to one guy?
who guarded Yarbrough last night? Rivers, Arogundade, and Thomas? I even saw Timmer & McGlynn taking turns so it didn't seem to matter...

Go Back   BradleyFans.com Forums > Sports Forums > Basketball Fan talk