Go Back   BradleyFans.com Forums > Sports Forums > Basketball Fan talk

Old 12-03-2017, 06:59 PM

That was as bad a half as this team has played this year, but weíre only down 14. Now, 14 is a pretty big lead, and one that will be tough to make up, but itís not insurmountable. Bradley has to play better D and rebound better if they want any chance though, and they also canít go 12 minutes only scoring 5 points. In previous years, Iíd say this game was over. This year, I still donít think we win it, but Iím not calling it over just yet.
Old 12-03-2017, 07:14 PM

well, I thought it was a good broadcast until they started interviewing the students ..
"duh, well...like uh....well.....you know, well, like.....uhhh"

having Gerry Pollard reffing sure doesn't help - he calls something on every defensive play
Old 12-03-2017, 07:27 PM

The Aztec program has been strong for several years now. They will be a good measuring stick for where BU needs to be.
Old 12-03-2017, 07:45 PM

Absolutely being killed on the boards.
Old 12-03-2017, 07:46 PM

Exposed by the cupcake schedule.
Old 12-03-2017, 07:58 PM

yes, and I know we are a far more aggressive and better rebounding team than we showed today -
I think our guys just were not prepared for the long trip, short turnaround after Friday night's game and the effect of playing on the road...

About the only positives - van Bree, DLO & Stipo's shooting, and we played well as a team on defense until the shot went up - then we forgot to go get the rebound and allowed a ton of offensive rebounds (they had 15) & putbacks..
That forced us into fouling right under the basket and they got 23 more of their points on free throws...

They had 27 points off turnovers and 17 more points off offensive rebounds...
That's 59% of their points that came off our inability to take care of business...
Old 12-03-2017, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braves2006 View Post
no, our weaknesses were exposed by a better team today. Scheduling wise, we've beaten the teams we should and there have been some decent teams in the mix. I don't think a significantly tougher schedule would have helped us today. Bradley will learn from this one and be better for it.
Old 12-03-2017, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braves2006 View Post
Amen! I understand why coach would want to play cupcakes outside of Vermont and maybe Georgia Southern this year, but does nothing to get the Braves ready for conference. Same complaint I have had about my Aces for probably the last 5 years. If the schedule is not better next yeah, then I feel badly for the Braves crowd.
Old 12-03-2017, 08:01 PM

Final score: Sand Diego State 75 Bradley 52
Stats-
http://stats.statbroadcast.com/broadcast/?id=198053

ESPN Box score-
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-bas...meId=400989639

Bradley never seemed to try to take what SDSU was giving them. They were not guarding the perimeter as well as they collapsed with their big guys on the inside. But instead of setting up plays to free up our better shooters for outside shots, we seemed to try to keep passing or dribbling it inside. Likewise, our rebounding was terrible. SDSU outrebounded Bradley 47-26.

Bradley is now 7-2, and the next game is not until Wednesday, Dec 13 at home against Arkansas Little-Rock.
Old 12-03-2017, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub View Post
no, our weaknesses were exposed by a better team today. Scheduling wise, we've beaten the teams we should and there have been some decent teams in the mix. I don't think a significantly tougher schedule would have helped us today. Bradley will learn from this one and be better for it.
A much stronger team than we have played...I agree with you, they should learn a lot from this. Never thought they would win, just thought the effort would be a little better...
Old 12-03-2017, 08:23 PM

I think there is some merit in the comment on scheduling. I remember when ISU started out 14-0 and then went 10-10 over their next 20 games when Jank was the Coach. He played noncon patsies like Houston Baptist. I have concerns with a schedule that includes IUPUI, Missouri Science and Technology, SEMO, etc as well as our rebounding strength and athleticism when playing strong programs. I like the depth of the team but...........is BU really a contender in the MVC? Donít mean to be a skeptic but I think there are legitimate questions.
Old 12-03-2017, 08:31 PM

On the flip side though....I think we are much better than what we played like today.
Old 12-03-2017, 08:41 PM

We have had a problem for several years of not being "ready to play" at the start of the first and the second halves (that is a term that even Coach Wardle has used more than once to explain the problem).
Tonight, after 10 minutes in the first half, Bradley trailed 22-3. One basket and one free throw in the first 10:02 of the game.
Then Bradley only scored 4 points in the first ~6 minutes to start the 2nd half.
I don't recall ever seeing a team that frequently has so much trouble getting their offense going at the start of each half. I realize SDSU is a bigger and more athletic team. But this is a problem that needs to be fixed.
Old 12-03-2017, 08:45 PM

Your comment points to a two-sided problem. One is recruiting and the other seems to be on the staff. Maybe I am wrong on the source of inspiration.
Old 12-03-2017, 09:33 PM

I concur, though I think it should be fixable.
Old 12-04-2017, 06:40 AM

San Diego State coach Brian Dutcher...

ďThey had a certain degree of toughness with the fact they played a game
Friday night in Peoria, bussed to Chicago the next morning, flew across country
and played a 3 oíclock game,Ē Dutcher said. ďSo we knew that would be to our
advantage. Thatís a tough deal for anybody, traveling across time zones and
playing an afternoon game.Ē

I know there probably was a reason, but can anyone fill me in on why we scheduled like this?
We knew as far back as early June that we'd be playing this game on the west coast Sunday, December 3, why did we put a game on Friday night?
Old 12-04-2017, 02:14 PM

I really don't like hearing the excuses for getting beat badly by 23.
SD State is not Duke or UNC.

These young men are conditioned well. It's not like they played across 2 times zones and started at noon.

Oh well, let's learn and knock off the next opponent!
Old 12-04-2017, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YATittle View Post
is BU really a contender in the MVC? Donít mean to be a skeptic but I think there are legitimate questions.
Prior to the start of the season, nobody thought BU was a contender to win the valley this season. The fact that you/we question it now speaks to the overachievement so far, and the thought that maybe they COULD contend.

The fact is we donít know yet. We have several of the key ingredients in place. To me, it will all depend on how well the group responds to and learns from losses and other setbacks. Last years team improved all the way throughout the season, while other teams stagnated.

If this years team improves through the season on a similar scale to last years, it is my opinion we are a contender for top 3. If we stagnate, we could finish average or below, as projected by the experts.

These Braves need to listen to the staff and remain dedicated to continuous improvement, and they could do great things if they do. Will they? None of us knows. As fans we will support them and see where it leads!
Old 12-04-2017, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YATittle View Post
is BU really a contender in the MVC? Donít mean to be a skeptic but I think there are legitimate questions.

Who is saying Bradley is a contender? They were picked 7th in the MVC Preseason poll. They did not receive a single 1st place vote, like ISU did.
I think they have overachieved so far, but even the most ardent Bradley fans, including me, did not pick Bradley to contend for the top of the MVC.
The real question, is your team, ISU a contender?
Old 12-04-2017, 03:23 PM

Iíve followed the Valley since I moved here to work in 1974. I do not think ISU, with their current playing roster, is a contender. But with players back from injury and having the Valley schedule under its belt, it is conceivable that ISU could win the Valley tournament. Good athletes on the roster but weak rebounding right now. Rebounding is also a weakness for the Braves when they play good teams.

Go Back   BradleyFans.com Forums > Sports Forums > Basketball Fan talk