Go Back   BradleyFans.com Forums > Sports Forums > Basketball Fan talk

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12-02-2017, 12:08 AM
Da Coach Da Coach is online now
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Peoria area
Posts: 35,457
Default Final score: San Diego State 75 Bradley 52

Bradley (7-1) next plays at the San Diego State Aztecs (5-2) Sunday at 5:00 PM Central time.

It is the final matchup of the Mountain West-Missouri Valley Conference Challenge, which the MVC currently leads 4-3 with 2 games Saturday, and the final game Sunday with BU and SDSU.

The game is available for viewing online free at Facebook-
https://www.facebook.com/StadiumColl...1238558729569/
https://www.facebook.com/pg/StadiumC...ball/episodes/

We'll try to update the actual link to the Bradley game when it becomes available.

The San Diego State Aztecs are 6-2 after their 66-57 win Thursday night at University of San Diego.
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-bas...meId=400986995

Last season, they finished 19-14 and 9-9 (6th place) in the Mountain West. The previous season (2015-16) they won the MWC by 3 games, but lost in their conference tournament, and failed to get an NCAA bid. They won or tied for the MWC league title 3 straight seasons- 2013-14, 2014-15, and 2015-16. And they had a run of 6 straight NCAA appearances from 2010-2015. Here is a listing of their season records-
https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb...n-diego-state/

This season, they were picked to finish 2nd behind Nevada in the 2017-18 MWC Preseason poll-
http://www.themw.com/news/2017/10/18...son-title.aspx

San Diego State website-
http://www.goaztecs.com/sports/m-bas...skbl-body.html

Their only 2 losses this season have been to a couple of undefeated Pac-12 teams, Arizona State (currently 6-0) and Washington State (currently 6-0). They had one common opponent with Bradley- they beat Eastern Illinois in their home arena, Viejas Arena, on 11/20/17 by a score of 94-63.
Viejas Arena- http://www.goaztecs.com/facilities/viejas-arena.html

Schedule and results-
http://www.goaztecs.com/sports/m-bas...kbl-sched.html

They are coached by Brian Dutcher, a former University of Illinois graduate assistant. This is his first season as head coach. He was a long-time assistant coach who took over from Steve Fisher when Fisher retired at the end of last season.

SDSU has been an average 3-point shooting team at best. They shoot 32.4% on threes. They are a very good rebounding team, outrebounding their opponents on average 42.8 to 34.5.
Last year, their home attendance averaged 12,196. This year they are averaging 10,603 in their 3 home games so far.

Roster-
http://www.goaztecs.com/sports/m-bas...askbl-mtt.html

They have had a couple injury issues with starters Malik Pope and Trey Kell, but the only key player who did not play in the game Thursday night was 2nd leading scorer Trey Kell, a senior who averages 13.6 ppg. He reportedly has a sprained ankle, but the team has been very vague about the seriousness of the injury and there is no word whether he will be available to play Sunday against Bradley.

SDSU Stats-
http://www.goaztecs.com/sports/m-bas.../teamcume.html

Bradley stats-
http://www.bubraves.com/documents/20...dley_stats.pdf
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-02-2017, 12:22 AM
MacabreMob's Avatar
MacabreMob MacabreMob is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 145
Default

I am hoping Wardle cures Bradley of the "jekyll and hyde" style of play we have seen in the past under other regimes. I am referring to us playing good at home then absolutely horrendous on the road under other regimes. We are rebuilding and I hate if we go down this path. Go in and play tough! Lose - maybe... but play tough!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-02-2017, 06:07 AM
tornado's Avatar
tornado tornado is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 43,321
Default

Valley record is now 52-20 headed into Saturday's six games
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-bas.../date/20171202

Best wins so far- Indiana State over Indiana, ISU over South Carolina, Drake over Wake Forest
Worst losses so far- Drake lost to Omaha, Indiana State to Old Dominion, Indiana State to Ball State & a couple 30-40 point blowout losses by ISU, SIU, Loyola
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-02-2017, 09:26 AM
Da Coach Da Coach is online now
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Peoria area
Posts: 35,457
Default

The Missouri Valley Conference is now the #6 ranked conference in RPI. They are 42-20 versus D1 opponents-
http://warrennolan.com/basketball/2018/conferencerpi


And Bradley's RPI has dropped a little and is now #62. That is now 3rd best in the MVC behind Northern Iowa's #27, and Valpo's #61-
http://warrennolan.com/basketball/20...issouri-Valley
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-02-2017, 05:36 PM
Dubl R 1's Avatar
Dubl R 1 Dubl R 1 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Peoria
Posts: 1,305
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Coach View Post
Bradley (7-1) next plays at the San Diego State Aztecs (5-2) Sunday at 5:00 PM Central time.

It is the final matchup of the Mountain West-Missouri Valley Conference Challenge, which the MVC currently leads 4-3 with 2 games Saturday, and the final game Sunday with BU and SDSU.

The game is available for viewing online free at Facebook-
https://www.facebook.com/StadiumColl...1238558729569/
https://www.facebook.com/pg/StadiumC...ball/episodes/

We'll try to update the actual link to the Bradley game when it becomes available.

The San Diego State Aztecs are 6-2 after their 66-57 win Thursday night at University of San Diego.
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-bas...meId=400986995

Last season, they finished 19-14 and 9-9 (6th place) in the Mountain West. The previous season (2015-16) they won the MWC by 3 games, but lost in their conference tournament, and failed to get an NCAA bid. They won or tied for the MWC league title 3 straight seasons- 2013-14, 2014-15, and 2015-16. And they had a run of 6 straight NCAA appearances from 2010-2015. Here is a listing of their season records-
https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb...n-diego-state/

This season, they were picked to finish 2nd behind Nevada in the 2017-18 MWC Preseason poll-
http://www.themw.com/news/2017/10/18...son-title.aspx

San Diego State website-
http://www.goaztecs.com/sports/m-bas...skbl-body.html

Their only 2 losses this season have been to a couple of undefeated Pac-12 teams, Arizona State (currently 6-0) and Washington State (currently 6-0). They had one common opponent with Bradley- they beat Eastern Illinois in their home arena, Viejas Arena, on 11/20/17 by a score of 94-63.
Viejas Arena- http://www.goaztecs.com/facilities/viejas-arena.html

Schedule and results-
http://www.goaztecs.com/sports/m-bas...kbl-sched.html

They are coached by Brian Dutcher, a former University of Illinois graduate assistant. This is his first season as head coach. He was a long-time assistant coach who took over from Steve Fisher when Fisher retired at the end of last season.

SDSU has been an average 3-point shooting team at best. They shoot 32.4% on threes. They are a very good rebounding team, outrebounding their opponents on average 42.8 to 34.5.
Last year, their home attendance averaged 12,196. This year they are averaging 10,603 in their 3 home games so far.

Roster-
http://www.goaztecs.com/sports/m-bas...askbl-mtt.html

They have had a couple injury issues with starters Malik Pope and Trey Kell, but the only key player who did not play in the game Thursday night was 2nd leading scorer Trey Kell, a senior who averages 13.6 ppg. He reportedly has a sprained ankle, but the team has been very vague about the seriousness of the injury and there is no word whether he will be available to play Sunday against Bradley.

SDSU Stats-
http://www.goaztecs.com/sports/m-bas.../teamcume.html

Bradley stats-
http://www.bubraves.com/documents/20...dley_stats.pdf
Speaking of the above Washington St team, Jim Les and UC Davis knocked them off today 81-67!
__________________
DUBL R 1
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-02-2017, 08:42 PM
Da Coach Da Coach is online now
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Peoria area
Posts: 35,457
Default

From BradleyBraves.com-
Bradley Meets San Diego State in Mountain West-MVC Challenge
http://bradleybraves.com/news/2017/1...challenge.aspx
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-02-2017, 09:17 PM
Da Coach Da Coach is online now
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Peoria area
Posts: 35,457
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Coach View Post
From BradleyBraves.com-
Bradley Meets San Diego State in Mountain West-MVC Challenge
http://bradleybraves.com/news/2017/1...challenge.aspx

I notice that the Bradley pregame article is still listing the TV availability as only the Mountain West Network, which requires a subscription to see.


But the game will be available for free on a new Facebook sports streaming service called Stadium College Basketball-
https://www.facebook.com/StadiumColl...1238558729569/
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-03-2017, 09:05 AM
Da Coach Da Coach is online now
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Peoria area
Posts: 35,457
Default

San Diego State opened as a 10 point favorite, and is now an 11 point favorite in today's game.
This sports betting site thinks Bradley plus double digit points is a good bet-
https://sportschatplace.com/index.php?id=103910


And SDSU's second-leading scorer, Trey Kell, who missed their last game with a sprained ankle, was reported to be "questionable" for today's game. He has been held out of practice but will suit up and warm up today, and it will be a game time decision whether he plays.
Another injured SDSU player, Max Montana, who played their first 2 games this season and has missed their last 6 games with a hyperextended left knee went through a full practice on Friday. He will also suit up and be a game time decision. He actually is their 3rd highest scorer (12.0 ppg) based on just 2 games, and he has shot 45.5% (5-11) on three pointers.
http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/...202-story.html

That article goes a bit overboard trying to make it seem that the SDSU coaches and players are panicked about playing 7-1 Bradley.


San Diego State has an RPI of 53. They are 6-2, and their two losses have come to Arizona State (RPI 18 ) and Washington State (RPI 68 ). They have not beaten a team with an RPI better than 90-
http://warrennolan.com/basketball/20.../Mountain-West

Bradley's RPI is now 77, and they already have a win over the #35 RPI team Georgia Southern-
http://warrennolan.com/basketball/20...issouri-Valley

And the MVC, which had dropped into the 6th spot in conference RPI, moved back up to the #5 spot after yesterday's games-
http://warrennolan.com/basketball/2018/conferencerpi
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-03-2017, 09:11 AM
tornado's Avatar
tornado tornado is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 43,321
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Coach View Post
Bradley's RPI is now 77, and they already have a win over the #35 RPI team Georgia Southern-..
and a 1-pt loss to the #27 RPI team
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12-03-2017, 03:06 PM
pfcmsh's Avatar
pfcmsh pfcmsh is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Northern Illinois
Posts: 454
Default Watch Today's Game

The game is not listed on ESPN3. Is there any way to watch it? I have Amazon Prime.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 12-03-2017, 03:31 PM
Da Coach Da Coach is online now
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Peoria area
Posts: 35,457
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfcmsh View Post
The game is not listed on ESPN3. Is there any way to watch it? I have Amazon Prime.
You should be able to watch it here-
https://www.facebook.com/sports/838879912981452/

If there is any change, we'll try to post a updated link at 5:00 PM Central.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 12-03-2017, 03:36 PM
tornado's Avatar
tornado tornado is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 43,321
Default

this'll be the first time for many of our players playing after a long travel day out west...

Even back when we went to Arizona, TCU, UT-Arlington and Wichita - we played terribly in all those games and quickly found ourselves down 20-30 pts...

So I hope our guys got really solid rest and play great defense so we can stay in this game..
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 12-03-2017, 04:02 PM
pfcmsh's Avatar
pfcmsh pfcmsh is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Northern Illinois
Posts: 454
Default Thank You

Awesome. Ill use the link. Thanks so much, Da Coach!!
Go Braves.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 12-03-2017, 05:59 PM
Da Coach Da Coach is online now
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Peoria area
Posts: 35,457
Default

Link to the video stream-
https://www.facebook.com/StadiumColl...type=2&theater
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 12-03-2017, 06:12 PM
Da Coach Da Coach is online now
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Peoria area
Posts: 35,457
Default

The dreaded slow start marked by poor shooting and careless turnovers.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 12-03-2017, 06:14 PM
tornado's Avatar
tornado tornado is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 43,321
Default

I can live with missed shots - even a lot of them ...
but those thread the needle passes have GOT TO STOP!!!

3 turnovers in the first 4 minutes as usual

edit -- oops now 4
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 12-03-2017, 06:16 PM
Da Coach Da Coach is online now
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Peoria area
Posts: 35,457
Default

Live stats-
http://stats.statbroadcast.com/broadcast/?id=198053

Online video stream-
https://www.facebook.com/StadiumColl...type=2&theater
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 12-03-2017, 06:21 PM
tornado's Avatar
tornado tornado is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 43,321
Default

it disturbed me a bunch when Coach Wardle said in Friday's post-game show - and said "the turnovers don't worry me.."

we have six turnovers already in the first 7 minutes, so we try to combat that by Koch Bar taking an 18 ft jumper!
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 12-03-2017, 06:44 PM
tornado's Avatar
tornado tornado is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 43,321
Default

If this game is a good reality check that helps us see our deficiencies and makes us better, then it's worth the trip...
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 12-03-2017, 06:53 PM
tornado's Avatar
tornado tornado is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 43,321
Default

at 8:16 we trailed 27-5 and at half we trail 37-23...
so over those final 8 minutes or so we outscored them 18-10 - just keep it up!!

...and we're getting outrebounded 24-11 - our guys still have their travel legs...
2nd half will be a very good learning experience eve if we don't catch up - but I think we can.. GO Braves!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   BradleyFans.com Forums > Sports Forums > Basketball Fan talk



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:59 PM.
vBulletin Skins by: Skins-N-Styles.com
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
BradleyFans.com is not affiliated with Bradley University