Indiana State trailed the whole way and lost at home to Ball State 93-85-
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-bas...meId=400989620
Old 11-25-2017, 04:48 PM

Ball State's only previous win was at home against winless Stony Brook
Old 11-25-2017, 07:26 PM

Loyola beats Kent State 75-60 with a big 2nd half-
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-bas...meId=400989624
Old 11-25-2017, 07:33 PM

MVC shoulda gone 6-0 today but with the Indiana State loss, we still could go 5-1
Old 11-25-2017, 08:55 PM

ISU vs. Charleston Southern starts at 8:00 PM.
Milik Yarbrough not in the starting lineup after being suspended their last game. He must still be in Muller's doghouse.
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-bas...meId=400989619
Old 11-25-2017, 09:51 PM

In the 3 late games involving MVC teams-

Valparaiso goes to 7-0 with a win in the Savannah Invitational over UNC Wilmington, 79-70-
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-bas...meId=400989622

Murray State beats SIU, 81-73. SIU is now 2-2-
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-bas...meId=400989621

And Illinois State leads Charleston Southern at halftime 34-33-
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-bas...meId=400989619

The game is on ESPN3.com-
http://www.espn.com/watch/player?id=3200120

One other note- Freshman guard Elijah Clarance, who has been sidelined with a stress fracture in his foot and not played before tonight, played 3 minutes in the first half of tonight's game.
Old 11-25-2017, 11:06 PM

ISU loses at home to Charleston Southern 64-62

Keyshawn Evans had 26 but Hein, a starter was scoreless with no rebounds,
Bruninga was 0-6, scoreless, 4 rebs, they just aren't getting any production from most of their guys...
Clarance played but also was scoreless
ISU now has to go out and play Nevada, then Tulsa, then at BYU, then Murray State then Ole Miss - could be a very rough stretch

MVC ends up a disappointing 3-3 today with ISU, SIU and InSU all losing

MVC now 45-16
Old 11-25-2017, 11:16 PM

Bewildered by the Milik Yarbrough drama. Didnít play much tonight and not at all with the game on the line. Redbirds May wind up a 500 team at best.
Old 11-25-2017, 11:19 PM

Redbirds looked sweep-able tonight.
Old 11-25-2017, 11:35 PM

I must say am not all that impressed...but it's early...

all we heard was about all the talent, then the injury excuse, etc...
but now they have almost everyone back....
Yarbrough was almost non-existent...just 1-4 and 2 pts,
Bruninga just 8-27 from 3-pt - Tinsley just 5-30!!
..Bruninga even getting one blocked late in the game by a much smaller guard, and Muller showing a very shallow bench that he doesn't seem to have much confidence in

Muller might be getting schooled in what years to schedule difficult (even tho the toughest part is yet to come - the losses to FGCU, Boise State and Charleston Southern (picked at the bottom of the Big South) are arguably easier games than the ones coming up
This tougher schedule should have happened last year
Old 11-25-2017, 11:48 PM

Tinsley has to be a major offensive disappointment, shooting 8 for 43 year to date. Might prove to be a wasted scholarship. I still think Bruninga and Clarance have the potential to have good careers. It will be fun to watch their games against Elijah Childs the next four years. I want the games to be competitive again and bring the rivalry back the way it used to be. Really miss the old days.
Old 11-26-2017, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YATittle View Post
Bewildered by the Milik Yarbrough drama. Didn’t play much tonight and not at all with the game on the line. Redbirds May wind up a 500 team at best.
Yarbrough, the most talented of the ISU players, did not start last night. But he did come into the game about 6 minutes after it started. He looked good on one drive to the basket- in which he dished off to Phil Fayne for a layup. Other than that. IMO, he seemed like he was disinterested and not fully involved in the offense or defense. He only ended up playing 10 minutes of the first half. His first half totals were 2 points (1-4 shooting), 2 assists, 1 rebound, and 1 turnover.
He did not start the 2nd half and spent nearly the first 10 minutes on the bench. Then he played for less than 4 minutes of rather disinterested-looking ball before Muller pulled him off the floor again with a little over 7 minutes left in the game and ISU trailing 52-48. He did not play the last 7 minutes of regulation nor the 5 minutes of the overtime, when the game was on the line. His totals were 14 minutes of playing time, 2 points, 2 assists, and 1 rebound.
So clearly, Yarbrough is still in Muller's doghouse, and that is saying something, since Muller has shown a tendency in the past to overlook a lot of issues and go very light on discipline.
From some of Muller's postgame quotes, he suggests it was all about Yarbrough's lack of effort.
Here are Muller's quotes from Jim Benson's article in the Bloomington Pantagraph-
“I'll play guys I feel are locked in and ready to play. I'm not playing the most talented guys,” said Muller, whose team dropped to 3-3. “However long it takes guys to get the message, if they ever do, that's what is going to happen. We're coaching way too much effort and focus.

“As we told our players if we're coaching effort and focus we're not coaching basketball. We'll fix that soon. I have to try to figure out the right buttons to push.”

“No doubt I'm looking for something from Milik that he's not giving me, but it's not about me, he's not giving his team,” said Muller. “But he's not the only one in that mix. We had too many guys with that focus.”

Even the Charleston Southern head coach seemed to take a shot at Yarbrough's lack of effort-
Charleston Southern coach Barclay Radebaugh boasted that he “does not have to coach effort and attitude” with one of the nation's youngest teams that started three freshmen at Redbird Arena on Saturday night.
Illinois State coach Dan Muller couldn’t make that same claim, which didn't come as a surprise to anyone in the crowd of 3,831 that watched the Buccaneers topple the Redbirds, 64-62, in overtime.

Muller needs him now more than ever if he wants to have a winning season. Will his attitude problem allow for him to straighten out? Or does this spell the end of the Milik Yarbrough experiment in Normal?
Old 11-26-2017, 03:13 PM

didn't anyone ever ask why such a "talented player" couldn't get more playing time on an 11-win Saint Louis squad?
Old 11-26-2017, 03:52 PM

Maybe Coach Muller is not recruiting the best kids. While talent is great, it isnt everything. Attitude, team play, good study habits, following rules and being a good citizen is all part of a great college player.

Has Grayson Allen tripped any opponents lately?
Old 11-26-2017, 06:27 PM

but when they recruit good talent & they''re winning, the ISU fans don't care - winning is the only thing that matters
We saw it at IU when they knowingly hired cheater Kelvin Sampson, then at Auburn with Bruce Pearl...
But I think Muller just wants to jump to the next level - so putting wins on the board gets the talk going of being hired somewhere else..
Old 11-26-2017, 07:51 PM

Well, you're right. I never thought of that.
Old 11-27-2017, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quote from Dan Muller
... he's not the only one in that mix. We had too many guys with that focus.”...
Muller is obviously not satisfied with the effort multiple of his players are giving...but I guess I have a problem with coaches who get paid HUNDREDS of thousands of dollars - only to toss the blame on the players over and over - especially when Muller has soaked up all this praise about how great he's been recruiting...

The last couple games he tried numerous different combinations of players and eleven different Redbirds got into this game. But who is he trying to blame? Many of his players came with red flags attached. There's a reason these guys landed at ISU and didn't have a whole lot of other offers flying their way...
Yarbrough had numerous arrests before he ever stepped foot on the court -- he's in his 4th year out of high school - it's not like you haven't seen a pattern developing for a while - surely only an ostrich with his head in the sand wouldn't have known what he was getting in to with Yarbrough. Gassman, Litwiller & Bruninga were walk-on/redshirt candidates, N'Diayes been in a walking boot more than he's been out of one, Romine had issues at UTEP, Chastain was a transfer who was going to have to sit out a year, Jerron Martin was on his 4th different college and averaged 1.5 ppg last year, and Matt Hein's a good kid & a great teammate but he's in YEAR-3 and has amassed a career total of just seven made shots so you can't really expect him to become a prolific scorer.
When all those troubled players with DUIs, attitude issues, arrests, and eligibility issues actually win you some games, then Muller takes the credit - but when they behave more like what you expect, he blames them.

He even tried Elijah Clarance for a couple minutes off the bench - his first action of the year - after Jim Benson had just written that Clarance wasn't expected to play until some time later in December...

But obviously Clarance wasn't ready - he came right back out with more unexpected pain & swelling in his foot.

Gassman is getting an incredible opportunity for playing time that I suspect even he never thought would happen his soon.. So is Bruninga.
Old 11-27-2017, 01:47 PM

Clarence came back out because of blisters on his feet. Good assumption though.
Old 11-27-2017, 03:37 PM

Like my forum friend Tornado, Iíve observed the ISU program for years, going back to the Doug Collins era. I also am friends with the Dad of a current ISU player. Here is my take on the situation......Clarance was supposed to be he starting point guard allowing Evans to be the shooting guard. That hasnít happened because of the injury to Clarance. Copeland was recruited as a prolific scorer, bu5 is ineligible b cause of failure to pass a summer course. As fa4 as we know, he will join the team in 2018-2019. Tinsley was to have been an outside scorer at the 3 position. He has not produced. Romine was to provide bench relief and beef at the 4 and 5 positions. He has inexplicably taken a leave of absence. Nldiaye was projected to be a starter, providing defense but marginal scoring. He is out with injury. As a result of the player availability issues, Bruninga is seeing a lot of court time which should benefit him later in this season and beyond. Yarbrough appears to be a problem child but he does have talent. He scored over 2000 points in hig( school and started several games at St. Louis as a freshman. Note that his father Del Yarbrough was a fine player at ISU in the late 70s. I agree that Hein, Litwiiler, and Jerron Martin will likely have minimal impact but the other narrative above is factual. I canít predict how their season will go but I find it sad that because of injuries, academic issues, and a key player apparent attitude problem an otherwise competitive Valley program is forced to play walk ons and the current leading scorer is forced to play out of position. As of right now ISU is at a huge disadvantage in player rotation.

Go Back   BradleyFans.com Forums > Sports Forums > Basketball Fan talk