Go Back   BradleyFans.com Forums > Sports Forums > Basketball Fan talk

Old 03-18-2017, 09:59 PM

Default Reflections on UC Davis and Les success

It has been awhile since I posted. I was hoping and cheering for Wardle to have some clear air and the time he and Chris Reynolds need to get things turned around.
But it dawned on me that this decade of mess was so avoidable. I made the mistake of looking at the PJS Bradley forum.....oh boy there are some angry grudge holding folks over there. Put aside basketball for a moment...thank god the new BU Prez has brought some stability ...enrollment growth etc.

I am not sure the scope of damage Glasser and Shaheen did to BU can be overstated....enrollment, legal, financial, athletics and morale all were materially damaged....and still are. I thought this was going to be a lost decade ...but it looks like it make take longer to get better footing.

The UC Davis run and and Les' success has been a reminder of what's been lost at BU. And how poorly things were handled ...the JL departure etc. The fact the Cross wanted to give Les another year and Glasser forced the firing and quibbling over paying Les. The Dan Dakich tweet and comments and BU mentions were not positive and ancillary to the UCD success.

Completely classy move for Wardle to tweet his congratulations to Les as a former Brave. Well done. Funny how Glasser and Cross and even Shaheen have gone under deep cover and never acknowledged their mistakes ...or offered any congratulations to Les and UCD.

I watched the UCD First Four game and could not help but notice the long time BU supporters sitting behind the UCD bench with Les' wife and family. Loyalty is deep and these wounds with JL and Hersey need to be attended to.

Les is getting mentioned for bigger jobs ( Cal) etc and people are still sitting in Peoria trying to spin his departure into a tale of falsehoods. The guy has found amazing talent and brought them to an elite school and flat out won in a year when they were picked in the middle of their conference pack.

How many people have played in the NCAA tournament and coached two different teams in the NCAA tournament ? That can't be a long list.

I am rooting for Wardle ....but my God Glasser did so much damage that must be overcome. More work to do.
Old 03-18-2017, 10:17 PM

Bfc, you are soooooo right....
too bad we had to go thru it and too bad the fans who loved and kissed JG's butt helped to enable her to do more damage - as once the public finally rose up and called, wrote letters, and withheld their donations - then the Board finally took a look and saw how corrupt, dishonest, and inept that administration was.
We are back on the right path, but we were steered so far off the right path it will take a while...
and I agree- there still are a whooooole lot of clueless people "over there"!
Old 03-18-2017, 11:53 PM

Here is a nice article by the Sacramento Bee writer who followed the UC Davis team-
http://www.sacbee.com/sports/spt-col...139333243.html
Old 03-19-2017, 08:01 AM

I think there are plenty of people on the other board who would agree the Cross and JG are more to blame than anything else. Not because for letting Jim go but how it was handled and all the other stuff in between. There were three sets of fans really--people who wanted to keep Jim, people who wanted him gone, and people like me who would not have had a problem giving him another year but also understand why they made the change. We weren't trending in the right direction. Of course just about anything would have been better than the last several years. Cross and JG just didn't fit here.....at all..

It seems that CR and Wardle will get things turned around but the proof is always in the wins and losses.

I'm happy for Jim.....I'm guessing they like it out there better anyway......and I think nowadays with the NCAA committee giving very few mids at large bids, it's much easier for a low major to win their conference tournament and get in automatically than it is for a mid to get an at large bid
Old 03-19-2017, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefty View Post
I think there are plenty of people on the other board who would agree the Cross and JG are more to blame than anything else. Not because for letting Jim go but how it was handled and all the other stuff in between. There were three sets of fans really--people who wanted to keep Jim, people who wanted him gone, and people like me who would not have had a problem giving him another year but also understand why they made the change. We weren't trending in the right direction. Of course just about anything would have been better than the last several years. Cross and JG just didn't fit here.....at all..

It seems that CR and Wardle will get things turned around but the proof is always in the wins and losses.

I'm happy for Jim.....I'm guessing they like it out there better anyway......and I think nowadays with the NCAA committee giving very few mids at large bids, it's much easier for a low major to win their conference tournament and get in automatically than it is for a mid to get an at large bid
From what I have heard some of the problems Jim had the last few years at Bradley were not entirely his fault. He was having to deal with the interference from JG
Old 03-19-2017, 12:04 PM

How can anyone understand why they made the change? IMO we weren't trending in the wrong direction. Maybe not winning the Valley every year, but still putting the butts in the seats.
Old 03-19-2017, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico View Post
How can anyone understand why they made the change? IMO we weren't trending in the wrong direction. Maybe not winning the Valley every year, but still putting the butts in the seats.
The attendance had gone down a little but we went from 21 to 16 to 12 wins. That's a trend downward.
Old 03-19-2017, 01:57 PM

The 12 win season was an aberration, and even the AD admitted that and said Jim was not being held responsible for that year. So we are really talking about one year with a drop in wins from 21 to 16, and still including that year, there were 102 wins over 5 seasons.
And that 2010-11 team would have been a very good team if not torpedoed by the administration, and the injuries. There would have been 4 players that year that were All-MVC in their careers if everyone was healthy- SM, TB, AW, WL, plus an MVC Defensive Player of the Year in DSE.

AD Mike Cross wrote a recommendation to the Pres to retain Jim Les another year, but we all know what happened. Jim was not fired for his performance, nor for the "falling attendance" which was barely down his last year. He was fired because the President did not like him personally.
Old 03-19-2017, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Coach View Post
... He was fired because the President did not like him personally.
using the same animus, she tried very hard to fire him in March of 2010 but could not get the Board's approval
Old 03-19-2017, 03:13 PM

What I hate about college basketball is that your historical accomplishments don't seem to carry the weight they should. It's always "yeah but what have you done for me lately?" Last year's champion Villanova lost and are hanging their heads today.

However, there are two sides of this same coin. Our failures of the last decade can be erased in importance when we return to excellence, no matter how difficult that journey is, or how lowly you were when you started.

It's nice to be starting the climb back up the hill finally.
Old 03-19-2017, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub View Post
What I hate about college basketball is that your historical accomplishments don't seem to carry the weight they should. It's always "yeah but what have you done for me lately?" Last year's champion Villanova lost and are hanging their heads today.

However, there are two sides of this same coin. Our failures of the last decade can be erased in importance when we return to excellence, no matter how difficult that journey is, or how lowly you were when you started.

It's nice to be starting the climb back up the hill finally.
I agree
Old 03-20-2017, 06:26 AM

Someone correct me if I am wrong here because I am going to make some assumptions based upon the history of things here.

I can't find a better term for this but I'll use it anyway. Was JG anti-"male"? Not literally. Figuratively. I just get the impression that she was very much against any individual who seemed to show any sort of aggression/competitiveness in any way shape or form.

She wanted everyone to fall in line and those who did not or were deemed too "aggressive"?

And JL was a fairly competitive individual who might have clashed with this personality. Thus JG set out to oust JL and any sign of this type of behavior. It would explain her wanting to basically neuter the MBB program.

And in a broader sense she wanted to turn Bradley's campus into something similar?

Am I close or completely off base here?
Old 03-20-2017, 09:23 AM

I think you maybe close. Maybe not consciously but subconsciously. I once worked for a lady that assumed I was going to be a male chauvinist. I was not and never have been. But in her mind she thought I might be so she was going to nip it in the bud. As you can guess we never got along very well.. We put up with each other. So maybe JG was of the same mold. There are guys out there like that but a person should not preassume it
Old 03-20-2017, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tornado View Post
as most people would tell you who knew her and dealt directly with her - she had two distinct personalities..
one that she put on in public and when the lights were on and cameras rolling - and a completely different one with the behind the scenes with doors closed, in board rooms, and in negotiations...
You can fill in the blanks...
I always got the impression she didn't like a person w/a bigger ego then she had. In my opinion JL was bigger in Peoria then JG was and could raise more money then she could which made him a liability to her.
Old 03-20-2017, 11:07 AM

she didn't like BradleyFans either - cuz it was something she couldn't fully control like she controlled the media & had them twisted around her little finger
Old 03-20-2017, 08:38 PM

It wasn't who had a larger ego. It was that JG was unnecessarily intimidated. I think Les was a fairly private, and at times, shy person. Remember he had a forced public athletic life since he was 18. I think he was cautious with relationships. But he was also very confident about what he thought he could accomplish.

The most famous person in Peoria is generally the BU basketball coach...maybe Bob Michael back in the day.

Yes JL could fundraise and presented well...had long deep ties to BU. The fundraising campaign was largely done before JG touched down in Peoria...the new facilities were approved and underway. JG had little substantive roll in any of that...but she tried to take credit for any and all positive outcomes. But when things were challenging ...she sent out her press spokesperson/speech writer. Never knew that role existed previously....

Remember the pattern was always the same....JG tried to undermine those that she could not buffalo. And it brought her down in the end.

So Les reported to KK..and then Cross ....and that was not permitted to function...JG insisted on involving herself. That was the beginning of the end,
Old 03-20-2017, 09:40 PM

when Mike Cross was asked to reflect back and name the top accomplishments during his & Joanne's tenure (Cross' time here largely paralleled Glasser's)

most AD's would have bragged about great athletic teams, successes in tourneys, winning records, putting players into the pros, winning the conference, going to the post-season, teams staying clean and out of trouble, or building the fan base...

instead - for his legacy, he claimed the silly mascot (which they actually hired some firm to do for them) and signing a shoe deal with adidas (every team in DI & DII has a shoe deal with someone so it sure can't be rocket science)...

so that was it....that's what we blew 6-7 years and $30 million accomplishing..
Old 03-20-2017, 09:50 PM

Default Cross

Wasn't he the one also responsible for getting rid of our last logo and pushed for having the B as the new logo which in my opinion was a big mistake.Think of all the teams that have a letter for there logo,boring I think.
Old 03-20-2017, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carter View Post
Wasn't he the one also responsible for getting rid of our last logo and pushed for having the B as the new logo which in my opinion was a big mistake.Think of all the teams that have a letter for there logo,boring I think.

yeah - he also paid a consulting firm to come up with that plain B

but I think the guy who came up with that kinda stole it from one of the top DII schools in the nation, Bellarmine University

Old 03-20-2017, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carter View Post
Yes, the new shield B logo was introduced in August, 2012, so that was under Dr. Cross, though I think much of the emphasis to make a change came from higher up.
http://www.pjstar.com/x580291723/Bra...veils-new-logo

There was also this failed attempt to change Bradley's nickname from Braves to Brave, even though Bradley had already fought that battle with the NCAA for years, and finally won when the NCAA backed off its demand that Bradley drop the name. The administration wanted to drop the "s" and rename the sports teams "The Brave". But at least they did a survey of alumni, donors, and fans first and found that an overwhelming majority were against the change. Plus, a significant number of donors said they would pull or end their donations if a change was made. At least in that instance, they listened to the alumni, fans, and others, and the push to make the change ended in November, 2012.
http://www.pjstar.com/x1440171463/Br...tay-the-Braves

Go Back   BradleyFans.com Forums > Sports Forums > Basketball Fan talk