Go Back   BradleyFans.com Forums > Sports Forums > General Sports discussions

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12-04-2016, 01:25 PM
wily coyote's Avatar
wily coyote wily coyote is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: airport area
Posts: 2,336
Default PJ Star

I have been putting this off for some time but after reading todays Sports page I felt I couldn't hold off any longer. I have several friends in the Sports Dept. and Many retired writers from my officiating days. My beef is not with any of them and I want to make that perfectly clear. My beef is that the local coverage of High School basketball is just absolutely pathetic. No write-ups of Mid-Illini or Mid State 6 games is just hard to believe we've come to this. I have kept my paper for Sudoku's and crosswords puzzles I guess. High Schools kids and teams get zero coverage and they deserve much better. My next cost savings will be an easy decision. PJ Star you will be gone!!! That is a no brainer for what we pay for that worthless Sports page. I, like many of the players during my career I'm sure made friends with a lot of the sportswriters covering their games. Those days seem to be long gone as will be my subscription.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-04-2016, 01:47 PM
tornado's Avatar
tornado tornado is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 43,274
Default

agree- but it's even way, way worse for other sports - especially girls sports..
things like small school VB, softball or soccer...
the game reports and even the box scores often never get reported at all...
but there's little chance it'll ever change- the PJS not only has budget issues, but they just don't have anyone who even wants to cover this..
When I read the columns on the various sports "Area Player of the Year" and All Area teams, I know for a fact the writer has never even seen 90% of those kids or their teams play.

I might give as contrast - guys like Jim Mattson or Kurt Pegler or Lee Hall....
their sports staffs are comprised of ONE SINGLE PERSON and yet I have seen Jim and Kurt at literally hundreds of local high school games and events.
So how is it they can get 1000 times more detail & coverage than a multimillion dollar corporation with a staff of dozens, even hundreds? It's cuz they care and they have something unique anymore - dedication to excellence.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-04-2016, 02:39 PM
lefty lefty is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 3,881
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tornado View Post
agree- but it's even way, way worse for other sports - especially girls sports..
things like small school VB, softball or soccer...
the game reports and even the box scores often never get reported at all...
but there's little chance it'll ever change- the PJS not only has budget issues, but they just don't have anyone who even wants to cover this..
When I read the columns on the various sports "Area Player of the Year" and All Area teams, I know for a fact the writer has never even seen 90% of those kids or their teams play.

I might give as contrast - guys like Jim Mattson or Kurt Pegler or Lee Hall....
their sports staffs are comprised of ONE SINGLE PERSON and yet I have seen Jim and Kurt at literally hundreds of local high school games and events.
So how is it they can get 1000 times more detail & coverage than a multimillion dollar corporation with a staff of dozens, even hundreds? It's cuz they care and they have something unique anymore - dedication to excellence.
I thought it was up to the schools to submit box scores the PJS.....but I get the point...there just isn't much coverage of HS sports which is sad for the community
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-04-2016, 05:04 PM
tornado's Avatar
tornado tornado is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 43,274
Default

they can submit but it doesn't guarantee they get covered beyond that - but I rest my case if the only way a school can get a mention is to do the work themselves, submit it and hope for the best..
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-04-2016, 08:10 PM
wily coyote's Avatar
wily coyote wily coyote is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: airport area
Posts: 2,336
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tornado View Post
they can submit but it doesn't guarantee they get covered beyond that - but I rest my case if the only way a school can get a mention is to do the work themselves, submit it and hope for the best..
I want to see more than a box score. I want to see a write-up about the game. I'd like to see what officials worked the game and I don't think a write-up is asking to much for what we pay for this paper. Really sad what has happened to this paper.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-05-2016, 07:18 PM
turtle turtle is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: East Peoria
Posts: 93
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wily coyote View Post
I want to see more than a box score. I want to see a write-up about the game. I'd like to see what officials worked the game and I don't think a write-up is asking to much for what we pay for this paper. Really sad what has happened to this paper.
this x 1000 -- I also think HS coverage is more desirable than these small time college and JUCO games they waste time on
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-05-2016, 08:16 PM
tornado's Avatar
tornado tornado is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 43,274
Default

they send the entire staff to cover cross country meets & have 2 or 3 separate writeups daily for a week cuz one of the sports editors is a cross country fan, and local bowling gets pretty decent coverage cuz Juan Campos appears to love bowling...and there's one other topic that seemed to get covered every day for weeks but...so that obviously is the key - if it is not a sport one of the main guys at PJS loves, then it simply gets no coverage.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-05-2016, 09:18 PM
Da Coach Da Coach is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Peoria area
Posts: 35,404
Default

They also seem to prefer to write multiple long, glorifying columns about the last place finisher in cross country, but then ignore the top teams and the best performers in every other sport.
I dumped my subscription several years ago and haven't missed it.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-06-2016, 03:06 PM
wily coyote's Avatar
wily coyote wily coyote is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: airport area
Posts: 2,336
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Coach View Post
They also seem to prefer to write multiple long, glorifying columns about the last place finisher in cross country, but then ignore the top teams and the best performers in every other sport.
I dumped my subscription several years ago and haven't missed it.
I'm real close to pulling the trigger. Even the print has become so much smaller for most of the sports pages. It's just pathetic what they put out today.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12-06-2016, 03:09 PM
wily coyote's Avatar
wily coyote wily coyote is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: airport area
Posts: 2,336
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
this x 1000 -- I also think HS coverage is more desirable than these small time college and JUCO games they waste time on
Couldn't agree more turtle. They put so much in there that most people don't give a hoot about than short change the HS kids that deserve the press. It's pretty sorry.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   BradleyFans.com Forums > Sports Forums > General Sports discussions



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:25 AM.
vBulletin Skins by: Skins-N-Styles.com
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
BradleyFans.com is not affiliated with Bradley University