Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Midmajor revolution

More national columnists are starting to notice midmajors-
    After a crazy November, Pat Forde wonders if George Mason's Final Four run was just the start of something bigger. • UNI's revenge

Comment

Originally posted by chitownBUB
      http://badgerherald.com/sports/2006/11/29/midmajors_on_rise_i.php
      Nice article, and very complimentary to the MVC and midmajors, but the writer of that article, Michael Poppy, talks about "parody in college basketball is about to hit an all-time high"

I am sure he meant to say parity, and not parody. Considering he's a senior journalism and communications major at Wisconsin, it doesn't say much for the education he got!

Michael is a senior double majoring
      in journalism and communication arts.
      One day back in Madison and he???‚¬?„?s already
      thinking he should???‚¬?„?ve stayed on South
      Padre Island for good. You can reach him
      at mpoppy@badgerherald.com.

Comment

Winthrop

Tiny Winthrop just gave Wisconsin all they could handle, and then some. Finally losing by three in OT.

Look for Winthrop to make some noise come Tourney time. They narrowly lost to Carolina and Maryland and return most of last year's very strong Tourney team.

Comment

Re: Winthrop

Originally posted by Braves4Life
          Tiny Winthrop just gave Wisconsin all they could handle, and then some. Finally losing by three in OT.

Look for Winthrop to make some noise come Tourney time. They narrowly lost to Carolina and Maryland and return most of last year's very strong Tourney team.
          I remember all the hoopla over Bradley not getting a better BracketBuster game. And I thought of - what if we decided to go on the road to get a tv game as opposed to getting a home game against TnTech. I sized it up and figured we might have gotten Winthrop and I thought - YIKES, those guys scare me! (would have been a GREAT game, and the return to Peo would have been awesome)

I picked them last year to beat Tenn in all my brackets. And they coulda/shoulda.

I am very aware of them - good team.

Comment

Re: Winthrop

The Winthrop coach was pretty vocal in suggesting his team got ripped by the hometown Wisky refs.
            Even the long time Badger faithful on the Wisconsin board think Winthrop got homered.

Comment

Hereis yet another article hailing the feats and successes of the midmajors
              "Can you remember the last time a Missouri Valley Conference team was ranked in the top 10 in early December?"
              "But the biggest story of the 2006-07 campaign belongs to No. 14 Butler (9-0). The Bulldogs"

Comment

Butler

By X-Mas Butler will have played every major and mid-major program of consequence in the state of Indiana, If they run the table are they the best team in the state?

I'll bet the "drive-by media" (thought Mac would like this ) will still be writing about IU, Notre Dame and Purdue, particularly about all the stories created by IU and that dirty cheater Kelvin Sampson

We'll just have to wait and see.

Comment

This and tons of other articles have shown that just about
                  everyone IS convinced of the power and success of the mid
                  majors, especially of the Missouri Valley.

Everyone except the three guys who are notable by their
                  absence in saying even ONE things good about mid majors or the Valley.

Has anyone noticed that Billy Packer, Jim Nance, and Digger
                  Phelps have been strangely quiet on this very issue that they
                  themselves have made such a widely discussed topic.
                  Do a google search and you cannot find any of these three guys
                  even willing to pen one mention of this topic they so thoroughly
                  discredited themselves on last season.
                  Even though their jobs are to report on college basketball, none
                  of these three guys have said anything publicly about the
                  strength of the mid majors or on the topic of the MVC and how
                  well they are doing.
                  They are somewhat of an embarrassment to their profession,
                  but come on, at least be fair and give em their due, guys!

Comment

Agreed, they are hoping the issue queitly goes away, but we won't let, right?

Comment

Re: Butler

By X-Mas Butler will have played every major and mid-major program of consequence in the state of Indiana, If they run the table are they the best team in the state?

I'll bet the "drive-by media" (thought Mac would like this ) will still be writing about IU, Notre Dame and Purdue, particularly about all the stories created by IU and that dirty cheater Kelvin Sampson

We'll just have to wait and see.
                      Some posters on other boards have noted that Butler beat both Notre Dame and Indiana in Indianapolis, which is Butler's hometown. However, those games were at Conseco, not Hinkle. The Bulldogs may be a "flavor of the moment" kind of team in Nap Town, but if you honestly took a poll of college basketball fans there, you'd probably see Butler being no higher than third in their own city behind IU and Purdue. BU may even finish behind ND, but ahead of Indiana State and IUPUI.
                      "The NCAA is so upset about alleged recruiting violations at Kentucky that they decided to give Cleveland State the Death Penalty"--Jerry Tarkanian

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget 6

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X